The Beginning of Forever

Try Me

Ed and I got a lot of talking down. We have even found a common ground. We both lost our mothers to a sickness. I found some more respect for him and he for me.

As soon as I got back to La Push, I went straight for Sam’s house. Emily answered the door.

“Hey, Rory.”

“Hi, Emily. Is Sam here?” she nodded. I took a step forward, paused, and took the step back. “Is Jacob?” She looked down, slightly, and shook her head slowly.

“No, he’s out patrolling still. He should be home soon.”

“Oh, good. I’m here to check in with Sam before I patrol.” Emily gave me a questioning look.

“Are you and Jacob okay?”

“We’re awesome.” I said sarcastically. I walked in and turned around to face Emily. “Where is Sam?” I asked, trying to get off the subject.

“Well, now.” I turned back around quickly, slightly frightened by a new voice. “Someone decided to show.” Sam was standing in the walkway between the kitchen and the living room.

“Sam, I told you that I would be here.”

“You said the same thing last night.”

“I don’t want to work through Christmas.”

“What happened last night?” Of course Sam would ask. He probably already knew everything that happened. You cannot trust Embry to keep anything a secret. “I don’t know anything. Embry won’t tell me.” Huh, maybe I can trust him. I sighed.

“I almost changed in front of my parents.”

“Why?”

“Why else? I was upset.”

“What were y—”

“Sam, please!” I could feel my arms start to tremble. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Emily start to back out of the room. This reminded me that I needed to keep calm. “I just want to go. I want to get this over with. And I’m not going out there while Jacob is patrolling.”

“Ah, so this is about something way more than just losing control in front of your folks.”

“Sure, you could say that.” I said, still annoyed, but trying my hardest to calm down. “Can I go? I really don’t want Jacob in my head right now, and he is gonna phase soon. All I need is to blow off some steam.”

“Fine. You have twenty-four hours free from Jacob.” I nodded, and headed out the door. “Lorelei?” I stopped, not turning around. “Just keep in mind that he is your imprint. It is insanely hard to live without them. Try and feel some of Jake’s pain.” I turned my head a little toward him.

“I will.” And with that I rushed out of the house and into the forest. Once there I phased quickly and started running circles around the boundary lines. Of course I passed other wolves, but I ignored them and kept my head blank.