The Beginning of Forever

Happy New Years

That night swore to myself that I would have Jacob as mine for as long as I’ll be alive. It’s always getting better. Every time I looked at him, my heart grew more. I always found new ways to love him, and more things about him I could love.

New Year’s Eve is when we had our fun.

We gathered all of the pack and their imprints and had a bonfire and cookout. When we were all sitting around the fire, Billy and Old Quil told us the legends of our tribe, explaining things more for Amelia. When they got to the story about imprinting, I could tell she was listening close. I also did a little snooping around in her mind and noticed she was thinking about Trey the entire time. I never was one to stay in my own business.

The stories were finished at eleven, so we had plenty of time to kill before the fireworks. Embry and Leah went for a swim. They were so crazy, even if we did have a normal body temperature of 109°, it was still December. I didn’t want to convince the rest of the reservation that we were insane.

Jake and I sat by the fire talking with Paul, Jared, and Kim. I was sitting in-between Jacob’s legs and he had his arms over my shoulders, holding my hands. He playfully bit my ear.

“Urgh, Jake!” Paul shouted. “Do you think you can keep your bedroom life in the bedroom?” I laughed. “I’m serious. I hate being inside your head when you get ‘happy.’” That made me laugh harder.

“Paul, have you ever given it thought that maybe you’re thinking about these things because you’re a little too focused on Jacob?” I asked. The pack laughed. Paul started breathing heavily, like he always did when he was trying to control himself.

“Paul!” Sam shouted. Paul turned to face him. “Walk it off.” Sam said pointing to the woods. Paul ran off into the darkness.

“I wanna talk to him.” I said. Jake nodded.

“Be careful. You know how he is.”

“Oh, yeah, but he’d never hurt me.” I smiled and winked at him. He let me go and I ran off after Paul. “Paul?” I called out. “Paul!” A grey wolf came out and just stood on the rock. “Stop being so stubborn. Go change.” He stood there squinting at me. “Really, P. I want to talk to you.” He growled and turned back into the trees.

“What?” He asked, appearing from the darkness. He just stood on the rock.

“I know we haven’t been the best of friends, but that doesn’t mean I don’t care. I want to know what’s wrong.” He looked at me questioningly.

“How do you know that something is wrong?”

“You are always bitter when you’re around someone with an imprint.” I thought for a second. “Is that it?” He looked away. “Are you upset because you haven’t imprinted yet?” He looked down at his feet and sat at the edge of the rock. “Awh, P.” I climbed up the rock and sat next to him. “You know you can always talk to me. You can tell me anything. I’m insanely good at keeping secrets. Trust me.” He looked up at me with hope-filled eyes.

“Really?” I nodded. “Eh, I guess you’re right. I am a little sour about the whole imprint thing. I just wish I could find her, you know?” He looked at me again. “Well, I guess not because you didn’t know about any of this until it actually happened. Which makes me…” he sighed. “Jealous.”

“Paul? Our Paul? Toughest guy in the pack is jealous?”

“Yeah, yeah. Don’t get used to it. I’m not usually one to be jealous. But I am tired of feeling everyone else’s happiness. I want to be my own kind of happy.”

“Awh, big brother!” He smiled at the nickname I chose for him. I leaned over and hugged his shoulders. “You will find her someday. I promise.” I kissed his cheek and pulled out of the hug. “But in the mean time, you can hang out with me back at the party.” I smiled, hoping that he would nod and come with me. Which he did, after a few seconds of thinking. He jumped up and reached for my hand.

“Promise not to completely abandon me?” I smiled. “I can’t stand how I’m the odd man out.”

“Of course. I would never abandon you. I will always be here for you, big brother!” He linked my arm through his. “And I remember a certain someone saying that I was a good catch.” He blushed, ignoring my words, dragging me back to the beach.

When we got back, Jacob saw me and gave me a confused look. I smiled, not really caring what he thought. Jacob wrapped an arm around my shoulder. He put his lips to my ear.

“What are you doing?”

“Hanging with my boyfriend and my big brother.” I smiled at him sweetly.

“But he’s on your arm…smiling.”

“Yeah. Is he not allowed to be happy?”

“No…well, yeah he is. What did you say to him?”

“Nothing that matters to you.” He narrowed his eyes at me. I leaned up and kissed his cheeks feeling that spark that I always got when I touched him. “I love you.” He kissed me again, saying it back.

“Hey, Ror?” Paul asked. I turned away from Jacob to look at him. “You wanna go make some s’mores?” I nodded.

“Of course.” I smiled. “Come on, boyfriend.” I said wrapping my free arm around Jacob.

***

“Ten more minutes!” Sam shouted. I smiled, sitting between my two favorite guys around the fire. Amelia was sitting across from the fire, just looking into it. I dug into her brain. She was thinking about Trey. I got to thinking. Jacob leaned towards my ear.

“Do you think she’ll go?” I looked at him, furrowing my brows. “To Trey’s? If you tell her, too.”

“You little snoop.” I said to him, putting my elbows on my knees and my head in my hands.

“You’re one to talk.” He said looking at Amelia. “Besides, you looked like you were deep in thought. I wanted to figure out what about.” I nodded, understanding.

“I want to think she’ll go, but I don’t really know.”

“Where’s the harm in asking?”

“I don’t know. I just don’t want her to think I am snooping.”

“But you are. There’s no point in trying to hide it now.” I sighed. “If she can’t get her mind off of him, there’s a good chance that he is her imprint. If she goes now, she’ll realize that he is. He likes her, right?” I nodded, looking at Amelia. “All the more reason for her to go.” I sighed again.

“I don’t know.” Paul groaned on the other side of me. I figured he was sick of our whispering until I saw him sit next to Amelia. He talked to her for a few seconds and she nodded, smiling. They both stood up, Amelia leaning forward, giving Paul a hug. Amelia ran towards the woods and I felt her phase. Paul walked back and sat down next to me.

“Well, that’s done.” I was confused. I sat back up.

“What did you say to her?” He smiled.

“I told her to go to Trey’s.” I smiled, widely.

“You’re awesome, P.” He nodded.

“I know.”

“Do you think she’ll make it in time?” I asked, checking my watch. 11:55.

“She’s running. Of course, she will.” Paul was optimistic. I usually was, too. I guess I was just nervous for her. I had no idea what Trey would say, or even if she did imprint on him.

“Calm down, babe.” Jacob said, kissing my cheek. “Things will turn out good for her. Whether it’s now, or later.” I nodded, still a little glum. “Hey.” He said trying to get my attention.

“Hmm?” I still stared at the fire. He grabbed my chin and pulled my lips to his. I instantly melted. It’s all I could do around him. I broke away, so I couldn’t take it too far. I promised Paul I wouldn’t ditch him. I smiled at him, and winked.

“One minute!” Sam shouted. My heart was pounding. I always got excited over New Year’s. It reminded me of a new beginning. I still sat between Paul and Jacob, staring into the fire, trying to keep my mind clear before the countdown. “Thirty seconds!” I smiled, figuring out my plan. “10!” Everyone joined in after that.

“9…8…7…6…5…4…” This is where I leaned over and kissed Paul’s cheek. He smiled, and returned the favor. “…1!” And the fireworks were off. I quickly turned back to Jacob, kissing him, hard, surprising him. “Happy New Years!!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, it has been awhile and I'm super sorry for that. I get distracted and college is coming up. And unless I get my own laptop (highly doubtful, I'm so poor) then I will probably be updating even less often. But I'll definitely try my hardest.

I love you guys! Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Keep them coming! They keep me going :)