Status: short story, finished.

Leaving

Part Two

December 10, 2016

"Alright, thanks Bliss. I'll be home in two days."
The box went blank, and I clicked out of it.
I sat in disbelief, staring at my computer monitor, where Bliss was once on the webcam. Telling me the story in full detail and horror.
It was so sudden...Kara...she..
God, my mind couldn't even think straight.
Kara was dead.
One simple car accident can change so much.
"Do you still talk to Sadie?" Bliss asked.
I shook my head clearly for the camera to see.
"We can't find her...ever since she left, she hasn't come back or bothered trying with us."

Just because I left, they thought Sadie and I talked. Which wasn't the case. When Sadie said she wasn't keeping contact...she really meant it towards everyone. Although I knew she was leaving, it didn't mean we'd keep in touch.
And now her best friend was dead, and no one was there to tell her.
"Goddamn second chance." I mumbled, kicking the computer chair over. I got up to pack, and grabbed my cell phone, the charger, and vodka.
This would be a long night.
_____________________________

"Xoe!" Haley ran across the airport baggage claim towards me, and hugged me tightly. I began crying, and so did she. "Bliss is getting those double shots from Starbucks...God you look like you could use ten..."
I laughed slightly, but I knew it wasn't meant to be a joke.
"The jet lag's gonna catch up to me, but I'll fight it." I said, smiling.
Haley smiled sadly before switching gears; her face dropped.
"It's terrible that Sadie left like that. At least you said goodbye..."
"Sadie only did that because she's just...well she..." I didn't have an excuse for Sadie. And why should I? She wanted the second chance, the new start.
"Is she coming? To the funeral? I heard she's in Chicago. It's not a long flight like you coming from Tokyo."
I shrugged with defeat. "I was up all night before this on the phone, trying to get contact...and I found her old cell phone number, but I doubt it works."
"Why didn't you try it?!" Haley yelled. I looked down.
"I had to pack still, and when I found it, my flight was less than an hour away."
"We'll try it when Bliss gets back." As soon as the words left Haley's mouth, Bliss showed up with energy drinks and double shots galore.
"We have twenty four hours to get Sadie before the funeral." Bliss said, rushed. And without another word, we ran to her car in the lot, not wanting to waste
anymore time.

"Hello?"
"SADIE!"
I pressed the speakerphone button and collapsed into the chair next to me.
Haley grabbed the phone, and Bliss ran into the room, coming in close by the phone.
"...Xoe? Haley? Bliss? What's going on... I heard about Kara..."
She knew? But how?
"Are you coming home? The funeral's tomorrow." Bliss sniffled.
There was a long pause. I got up. "Sadie!"
"Yeah, I'm coming! Chill."
How could she be so calm? Her best friend was killed.
"Chill? Sadie, you better be more upset when you get here-"
"Haley, calm down." I snapped.
"Guys, I'm ten minutes from town." Sadie said.
Bliss took the phone and began giving Sadie directions to her house.
It felt like forever until Sadie pulled up in front of the house. Haley and Bliss ran out to hug her, and I just stood back before walking up to the guest room to sleep for the small hours left before the funeral.

It was as if a weight had been lifted. Kara was peacefully resting in the ground, and all best friends were reunited again. Besides the awkward tension and anger that lingered around.
Haley went home, she couldn't handle seeing Kara in a coffin. Bliss went with her to make sure she got home safe, leaving Sadie and I by our dead best friend.
"If it wasn't for Kara's death, I'd still be in Chicago." Sadie said as we sat by the freshly covered grave." I know it's terrible to say, but the second chance was worth leaving. I just wish I said goodbye."
I looked up at the sky to keep tears from falling out; I had to be the sensitive one. Always was of the group.
"How did you find out?" I asked. Sadie smiled slightly.
"Kara's mom found my old phone number. Something you all should have figured out years ago."
"Well after you left us, it seemed like you wanted nothing to do with us anymore." I muttered.
"It's not that, you know that..." Sadie sighed. "You know I wanted a second chance."
"Something that Kara can never get," I mumbled, ripping the grass up around me. Sadie gave me a hurt glance, and I changed subjects.
"I'm guessing in a few days, when this sinks in, you'll be back home." I said, trying to keep my voice steady.
"Well it'll be the same for you, won't it?"
"Sadie, I am home."
And with that, not another word was said as I got up from the grass, walked to my car, and never looked back. I was taking my second chance, just like Sadie did five years before. I was leaving, just like she did.
Except I knew I'd never regret this specific time.
♠ ♠ ♠
whoooooooooo.

inspired~ by just...well, a lot of things actually.

thanks for reading <3