Recipe For Disaster

ten.

After Ronnie and Alex finished their dessert, they cleaned up their mess.

“Movie?” asked Alex. Ronnie nodded and they headed to the basement, which had a very nice rec room.

“Jesus, your house is nice,” muttered Ronnie. Not that hers wasn’t, but it was considerably smaller.

“Thanks,” laughed Alex.

“You must be excited to be home,” said Ronnie, sitting down on a comfy leather couch. She grabbed a fluffy-looking blanket and wrapped it around herself while Alex went over to the movie shelf.

“Yeah, I am,” he smiled. “But I know it’s only for a couple weeks. I’m mainly just excited to see everyone and play for real again.”

“I bet,” grinned Ronnie. “I’m so excited to hear you guys!”

Alex laughed. “Maybe we can throw you on stage for a surprise sax solo or something.”

“Somehow I don’t think the sounds will mix very well,” she chuckled. Ronnie was also very passionate about music – her plan was to become a high school music teacher. Tenor saxophone was her main instrument, obviously with the ability to play alto and baritone as well, but she preferred tenor. She also played trumpet and was very skilled at the piano.

“Ooh, can we watch Pirates of the Caribbean?!”

“Sure, Alex,” Ronnie laughed. After starting the movie, Alex sat down beside Ronnie ad she covered him with the blanket as well.

Ronnie’s favourite thing about Alex was that things never got awkward between them – not once since they had become friends had they shared an uncomfortable moment. They could talk about anything, do anything, and it didn’t matter. The two of them snuggled under a blanket together watching a movie didn’t phase them for a second.

After the movie was over, it was still only ten o’clock.

“So, what usually happens at the Gaskarth house for Christmas?” asked Ronnie. “I mean, most of your relatives are still in England, right?”

“Yeah, we usually pair up with Jack’s family. Sometimes my grandparents will join us for the holidays, but they came down last year so they’re skipping it this time,” said Alex. “What about you?”

“Well, it’s just my mom and I. We usually take turns with my aunt in Tennessee visiting each other, and this year was my mom’s turn.”

“Any annoying cousins or anything?”

Ronnie nodded. “You have no idea.”

Alex laughed, then hesitated. “Hey Ronnie?”

“Hey Alex?”

“Um,” he said, “If you don’t want to tell me, that’s totally fine, but I was just kind of curious since you’ve never mentioned your dad.”

Ronnie smiled softly. “No, it’s okay, Alex, I don’t mind telling you,” she said. “It’s just something I don’t usually bring up because I try not to think about it too much.”

Alex remained silent, waiting for Ronnie to continue.

“My mom went to college in Chicago – she was from Hampton originally, but wanted to get away for school. That was where they met, and I guess it was a love at first sight sort of a deal. They got married as soon as they graduated and had me at the age of 23,” said Ronnie. “I guess my dad didn’t realize how much responsibility a family was – and I’m guessing they probably struggled financially, as well. Anyways, when I was about four, one day he never came home.”

Alex’s jaw dropped.

Ronnie nodded. “No note or anything – at first my mom was worried, so she called his sister. All my aunt knew was that my dad called her and said he was leaving for a while – she assumed he was bringing us with him. My mom isn’t an idiot – she got the message. She tried to stay in the city for a couple of years, because she really loved it – but with raising me and receiving no support from him, it was really tough for her. She was still in debt from school, so when I was six she decided to move back to Hampton. We lived with my grandma for a bit until my mom could get back on her feet, and then she bought our little house, and we’ve been living there happily ever since.”

“Wow,” said Alex quietly. He was silent for a moment, and then added, “Well, some people don’t realize what they have until it’s gone. You and your mom are great people, Ronnie. He’s the one who’s missing out.”

“That’s what I’ve tried to tell myself,” Ronnie smiled. “I think it’s made us more independent – it’s taught us that just because someone has a responsibility doesn’t guarantee anything. People are unreliable and you need to be able to fend for yourself, or who the hell else will?”

“You can always count on me though, Ronnie,” Alex said with a soft smile.

“Thanks, Alex.”

Another good thing about Alex is that he wasn’t the prying type – when Ronnie had told a select few other people, they would ask dumb questions like, “Do you miss him?” “Do you think he has another family by now?” Yes, obviously she missed him, he was her father – and why the hell would she want to think about the possibility that he might be happy with some other woman and children?

“You’re so… well-adjusted,” said Alex. “I’m jealous.”

Ronnie smiled. “You will be too, Alex. It doesn’t happen overnight.”

“When does it happen, then?” he asked, meeting her eyes with his, and Ronnie could tell just by looking at his face that what happened to his brother was still tearing Alex apart.

“It happens when you realize that everything happens for a reason. And in your case, when you accept that your brother served whatever purpose he was put here to do,” replied Ronnie softly. “It might not be fair, it might not seem right, and I know it hurts everyone, but I believe that everything happens for a reason and things like that are meant to make us stronger.”

Alex said nothing – he didn’t have to. Ronnie knew that he would listen to this advice. Though their situations were quite different, in the end, they had both lost someone.

“Well, I know one thing is for sure,” Alex finally said. “I went to Hampton for a reason.”

Ronnie smiled. “I think so too.” She laughed. “You ran into me in that diner for a reason.”

Alex laughed too. “I’m really glad we became friends, you know.”

“I know, Alex,” said Ronnie and smiled. “So am I.”

“Shit, it’s almost one in the morning,” said Alex, looking up at the clock on the wall.

“We should probably get to bed,” Ronnie said needlessly. They got up and began walking upstairs.

“We have to be at Rian’s for twelve, so I’ll wake up by eleven,” said Alex.

“I’ll set my alarm for ten-thirty,” said Ronnie.

They had reached the door to Ronnie’s room. “Good night, Ronnie,” whispered Alex.

“Good night, Alex.”

Alex gave Ronnie a tight hug and with that, Ronnie went into her room. After she was changed and lying in bed, she pondered the conversation they shared downstairs. She thought about how things worked out sometimes and how it seemed so random that Alex had came into her life. But they were both right – it happened, and for a damn good reason. They needed each other. And at that moment, Ronnie knew that she was going to be friends with Alexander Gaskarth for a very, very long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think this is my favourite story of mine... So it depresses me a little that it has the least amount of readers.

Anyways, comments? PLEASE? Even if there's something you don't like about the story, TELL ME! Especially if you happen to read my other stories, which have double the amount of readers than the last chapter of this one. Wah. :(