All I'm Dreaming Of

Texts From Torin

"How was school?" my Dad asked from the living room.

"Okay," I said with a sigh, plopping down onto the arm chair next to him. "I ran into some kid in the hallway and passed out for a bit."

He glanced at me from the television, eyeing my face as if looking for a chunk that was missing.

"I'm okay Dad," I said, answering his unspoken question. "I barely missed the beginning of my next class."

My dad turned back to the television with a grunt in response. We sat in silence for a few more minutes before I asked him when Mom was coming home.

"Soon I think," he said, looking up at the clock. "She should be back in time to make us dinner."

I sighed with relief before standing up and stretching. My pocket vibrated and I pulled out my phone, not recognizing the number displayed on the front screen. Taping the front of the voyager with my thumb, I opened the text.

Hey, I read before texting a quick reply asking who it was.

"I'm going to go do homework," I said vaguely, moving towards the stairs. "Let me know when Mom gets home."

Before I reached my bedroom, my phone buzzed again. It's Torin, the text read. Hey, I replied before sagging onto my bed, curious how he got my number.

I pulled my Mac Book Air out from my night stand and clicked 'available' on the AIM window before logging into my Facebook. Nothing new was happening so I put up a new away message.

My phone vibrated as I was pulling out my Economies homework. Do you have plans tonight?< I read, pausing before replying. I barely knew Torin… Oh sure I grew up with the kid but never said anything more than a 'hello.'

Nothing besides homework, I texted, throwing my phone on my bed. I didn't really feel like going out tonight.

My Voyager vibrated a few moments later and I opened the new text from Torin. That's no fun. Maybe I'll see you at the game tomorrow?

I smiled, relieved he wasn't about to suggest we go out. You better bet I'll be there, I replied, leaning against the headboard of my bed. I pulled my Econ binder out and set it in my lap, beginning the homework.

I texted Torin a little more then turned on my flat screen mounted on the wall. I flipped through the channels until I found E! and began watching Keeping up with the Kardashians. I wasn't a big reality show junkie, but this show had me hooked. E! is one of my favorite channels.

Soon, my Dad called me down for dinner. I left my phone on my bed and hurried down stairs to the scent of meat cooking. Steak, my favorite.

My Mom asked me how my day went as she served me steak, mashed potatoes and green beans.

"It was good," I said, cutting up the steak into pieces. "I ran into this kid in the hallway and passed out for a few minutes, but I'm okay."

My Mom looked at me with concern as she poured milk into her glass. "Running into a kid made you faint?"

I chewed thoughtfully on a piece of steak. "I guess," I said after I swallowed. "It's no big deal, he said I woke right up."

"He?" my Dad commented over his wine glass.

"Yes, he," I said, rolling my eyes. "I ran into him in the hall and pretty much bounced off his chest. He carried me to the nurses' and waited around until I woke up."

"And who is this boy?" my Mom asked. "Do we know him?"

"I doubt it," I said. "But you probably know of him. His name's Gabe Kellerman, he just transferred from Bellport. He's some big hot-shot hockey player."

"Oh I remember reading about him in the paper," my Dad said. He and my Mom started talking about hockey and the upcoming games.

We finished dinner and settled into the living room to watch Prison Break. When it ended at ten, I showered and got ready for bed.

Exhausted from the day, I slid between my bed sheets and got comfy against the cool cotton. Within a few minutes, I was dead to the world.