All I'm Dreaming Of

Sharing Mittens

I felt the blood rush to my face as I hurriedly found a seat on the other side of the room, as far from Gabe as I could get.

Emily sat down quickly next to me and stared rummaging through her bag trying to hide her red face.

I was taking deep breaths when I snuck a glance in Gabe's direction. He was twiddling a pen between his hands, the smirk still on his face.

"Well Em," I said. "That's about the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me."

Emily set her bag down next to her chair and gave me a calculating glance. "Eh, I'm sure he's heard it all before. I wouldn't worry about it too much."

I made a face. "Like I was worrying at him since day one. That guy plowed me over yesterday!"

We laughed, but soon quieted as the teacher Mr. Martin walked into the room. English by far was my favorite class. Today, he announced we would begin reading Into The Wild next week. I guess it's about some nut that ran off to Alaska because he was unhappy being rich.

"He burned all his money?" Emily whispered to me. "Is he crazy?"

I shrugged, dreading the essay we would have to write when we finished the book. The bell rang soon after, Emily and I bolted from our seats and out the door before most of the class finished packing up their notebooks.

"I'll pick you up around 6:50?" I offered, outside of her government class. My Economics class was in another building.

"Yeah, that's perfect," she said. "See you!"

I waved then knocked into someone. A very tall, muscular someone who felt very familiar.

"Great," I said, looking up into Gabe's now familiar hazel eyes.

"Dude," he said, running his hand through his hair style that Emily and I called 'the flow.' His hair was fluffy and stood about four inches off his head. "You need to stop doing that."

I rolled my eyes. "Well stop creeping up behind me!"

Gabe laughed. "Well I am, after all, less than hot," he said, quoting me from earlier.

I felt myself blush crimson, before I walked quickly off to Economics.

-x-

"Come on Emily," I mumbled impatiently, honking the horn for a second time. It was 6:57; by the time we got there it would be halftime!

"Hey, sorry I'm late," Emily said, sliding into the passenger seat. "I almost couldn't find this top!"

"I don't understand why you and most of the female population in Bellport get so dressed up to go to games," I said, pulling out of her driveway.

She was wearing a cute cropped, brown corduroy jacket with a purple cami underneath, complete with sand washed blue jeans and brown Adidas.

I looked down at my own outfit, which was a worn Bellport Hockey hoodie and dark blue jeans with my Uggs. I had my hair in a low ponytail under a Ralph Lauren polo cap.

Emily shrugged. "It's a good excuse to look good."

"Who are you trying to impress?" I asked. "Jeffery or Torin? You know they both like you."

"Oh I know," she said, examining her pale pink nails. "I'm not sure which one to go for."

I glanced over at her, shocked. "Wow you just sounded so much like Stacy."

"What?" she said with a sneer. "You know I'm not that bad. I just like to keep my options open."

"Whoa, easy," I exclaimed before turning up the radio. We were silent for the rest of the ride.

Gabe's Point Of View

"Do you see Emily yet?" Torin asked him, searching the crowded stands.

"No," Gabe said, stretching out his legs. "We would've heard Lisa's annoying voice by now if they were here."

Torin raised an eyebrow in Gabe's direction, a smile playing on his mouth. He opened his mouth, but he shut it quickly as he caught site of Emily.

"Hey," Torin said, seriously mooning over the poor girl. Ever since lunch, Emily was all the guy could talk about. Thankfully, Gabe had hockey conditioning after school so he didn't need to hear more about Emily.

Gabe slid over on the bench, leaving room for Lisa to take the seat between him and Torin.

"At least you managed not to knock into me tonight," Gabe offered, breaking the awkward silence. Torin had brought a blanket for him and Emily, that sly dog.

"Mmm," she said, watching the game.

He rubbed his hands on his thighs, trying to get them warm. Lisa, he noticed, was wearing white mittens that matched her hat. Every year Gabe was surprised how quickly it became cold as soon as school started.

"Want one?" Lisa said, still watching the game.

"What?" Gabe said, moving his eyes from her hands to her face.

"One of my mittens," she stated, pulling one off. "You're staring at them. I bet your hands are cold."

"I doubt this will even fit on my pinky," Gabe said, taking the mitten. He slid his hand into the warm pouch, surprised it fit. "Let me see your hands," he said, holding his right hand out. Her hands must be huge.

Lisa pulled off her other mitten and placed her hand against his. Her fingers were about half an inch smaller than his.

"It's alpaca fur," she explained, pulling her hand away from his and putting her mitten back on. "It stretches, my mom crocheted it."

Gabe nodded, wrapping his mitted hand around his other one. His sweatshirt didn't have pockets.

"How come you guys aren't sitting with the hockey team?" Lisa asked.

"Because most of them are dicks," Gabe said. And they were. During conditioning, the guys showed no mercy, not that he was expecting them too, but a little respect would've been nice.

"True that," she said. "I feel the same way about girls around here, that's why I stick with Em."

Most of the game Emily and Gabe talked about the differences between Bellport and Cloverdale, hardly paying attention to the game. About two hours later, Cloverdale won, 27-14.

"Hey did you guys want to get some food?" Torin asked, throwing his arm around Emily's shoulders.

Gabe nodded, moving into step beside Lisa as they moved out of the stands and into the parking lot.

Lisa's Point Of View

"We'll meet you at Sammy's okay?" Emily said to Torin, kissing him on the cheek before getting into my car.

"You two really hit it off," I commented, pulling out of my parking space. "Are you guys an item now or what?"

"Yeah, but no, we're not together," she said, her cheeks flushed. "Maybe after tonight, who knows."

We pulled into the crowded lot of Sammy's, the local burger joint after a few minutes. "I hope we can get a table," Emily murmured.

I nodded, pulling off my mitten, frowning because Gabe never gave me the other one back. I was about to tell Emily this, but she ran off and to Torin, who just walked in with Gabe. I shrugged and found an empty booth in the back.

Emily, Torin, Gabe and a large group of guys and girls slid into the booth, pulling out menus and talking about the game.

I sat quietly in the corner, smushed between Colleen and Jared, two people from school. The waitress set a large pitcher of Rootbeer in the middle of the table and there was a mad scramble for the brown pop.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a pretty brunette approach Gabe, smiling brightly. His mouth moved easily into his lop-sided smile as they started talking.

I quickly looked away and stared into my Rootbeer, but looked up them in just enough time to see them leave, hand in hand.