Billie's Inspiration

Hat Girl

“I love you Billie,” said Adrienne staring at her husband, his face so familiar to her. They’d been together so long but… just lately…

“I know you do,” said Billie staring at her with those amazing eyes of his. “Its just…I need to get away from here and get my motivation back. You know I’ve been on a downer just recently and the drink driving thing just hit the nail on the head. I hated myself for that, for doing that to you and the kids. I hated seeing myself in the papers. What the fuck was I playing at Adie?” he said, slight desperation in his eyes. He’d changed since that incident but looking back may be he’d changed a little before that, the pressures of family and trying to write songs got to him she knew that.

“I let you and the boys down,” he said putting his hand on hers. They were sitting in the car, just outside the airport, she driving and he…he was going to New York just for a couple of weeks to stay in Tre’s apartment that he had there while he was visiting Ramona. Adie was scared, scared that Billie had to go away to get inspiration and scared that it was so far away.

“No you haven’t let us down, so please don’t think that,” said Adie wishing that all this wasn’t happening.

“I did so lets not argue about it, we’ve argued too much just lately. Another reason why I’m going.” He said and it was, all they did just lately was niggle at each other over stupid ridiculous things and for stupid, ridiculous reasons.

“Have a safe journey Billie, please keep in touch, and let me know you’ve arrived.” She said but she felt like her heart was breaking. Why couldn’t he just stay and sort his problems out, together, like they always had?

“Of course I’ll call you and….Adie its only two weeks you know,” he said almost as if he was reassuring himself.

“I know.” She said but two weeks without him would be like forever.

But the mood he had been in recently made Adie wonder if he’d stay in New York longer, may be he wouldn’t want to come back, may be this was time up for them.

She so hoped not, she loved her husband with all her heart, even if he had been hell to live with just lately.

**

On the way back from dropping him off at the airport Adie pulled into a car-parking stop and wept for the unknown.

**

Billie lay back on the aeroplane seat, plugged in his headphones, pulled his baseball cap down over his eyes, closed his eyes and sighed.

A sigh of relief.

He was so glad to get away, he loved Adie, he did, there was no doubt about it he always would but just lately she hadn’t stopped nagging but then again may be she was right to nag because he had been a bum just lately.

An asshole.

Just like their current president, George W. Bush, asshole. Who in their right mind voted him the fuck in? The country was going to the dogs. Everyone thought this country was great and it was but it was being led by a dick.

Billie’s thoughts went then to 9/11 and the terrible images shown on the TV. He hadn’t slept for days after and had tried many a time to put pen to paper but nothing came.

Mike and Tre hadn’t been much help and he’d had an argument with them. They even came out and said that they thought a couple of his songs were crap and he’d lashed out and told them to give writing a song a go. They were OK now, they’d all been through ups and downs but he just needed to get away and get some inspiration.

He hoped by some chance that he’d get it in New York. How? He didn’t know.

He’d only been to Tre’s apartment once before. Tre had had it years, right from when Ramona was little. It was ideal for Tre because that way he could come and go a he pleased and Ramona even had her own room for when she stayed with him.

It was so good of Tre to let him have it for a couple of weeks. He loved those guys and he knew that they must know why he was doing this, going away for a while.

They were all in this together after all,

Letting himself into the apartment he slung his bag in the hallway. The whole place was quite neutral in colours, hardly any furniture, just the necessities really. Looking in all the rooms Billie noticed that Ramona’s room looked liked every girls dream, nearly every doll imaginable. He did spoil her.

Tre’s was the only other room and he noticed the bed was already made up, Tre had asked Valerie to call in and get the place ready just like he did when he was coming. Valerie would stock the fridge for him too.

Valerie was a friend of Tre’s, a friend going way back and she liked to look after Tre while he was here. Billie had often wondered in what other way Valerie had looked after Tre over the years but he just smiled to himself thinking that.

He could do with a beer and opening the fridge he noticed that there was definitely enough beers there to last a fortnight.

After calling Adrienne to say that he’d arrived safely he checked out the view, right over Central park.

The sun was setting and he decided to go for one of his walks through the park, something he hadn’t done in years, not here anyway in New York.

**

He knew the walk was doing him good, walking and thinking, thinking and walking, he just loved it.

The wind starting getting up but he didn’t mind, just zipped up his leather jacket and carried on walking. The park grew emptier as it got darker and it was getting quite blustery but he was enjoying himself. He felt free.

Suddenly, this object came flying towards him; it was a woman’s hat. He reached out his arms, he almost caught it but it blew past him. Then he saw the owner of the hat chasing after it and he decided he’d better chase after it too.

He heard laughter coming from the girl, giggling.

To a passer-by they must have looked like kids playing. Billie suddenly put his foot out to stop the hat from blowing away any further. He bent and picked up the hat and when he stood up he came face to face with the hat girl.

“Thank you so much,” she said. “This is my favourite and my aunt bought it for me. She died recently so it’s kind of sentimental. I collect hats, I practically have a different one for each day of the year, listen, I’m sorry for rambling, I have a tendency to ramble,” she said a faint blush appearing on her cheeks as she took the hat from him.

Billie was staring at her.

“I recognise you,” the girl said, “even hidden under that cap. You’re Billie Joe aren’t you?”

“I am indeed,” he said, smiling even though he hated being recognised. He was still looking at the girl who had dark brown hair and dark blue eyes. He was sure they were blue, dark blue, navy blue, kind of like a new born baby’s.

“Shit disguise huh,” he said, then laughed.

“Are you all here? Is Tre here?” she said in wonderment.

”Ah…so you’re a Tre fan?” Billie asked the girl who looked to be barely in her twenties.

“Well…I’m actually Tre’s neighbour but yeah, I suppose I’m a fan too. I’ve not seen him for a while. Listen,” she said the wind biting through her and making her shiver. “I’m heading home now,” she said putting her hand out to shake his. It was icy cold. “Thanks for catching my hat.”

“Hey.. it was no problem and, actually I can walk back with you. I’m staying at Tre’s place for a couple of weeks.”

“Oh right,” she said. “Oh and my name is Amelie by the way. Good to meet you and if you’re not doing anything in particular, you must drop by for a coffee some time.” She said as they headed over to the apartment block.

“Yeah, may be I’ll just do that,” said Billie glancing across at the fresh faced girl, full of life as she placed her hat on her head and crossed her arms across her chest to try and keep out the cold wind.

He was sure he would.