Billie's Inspiration

Just Some Company

Amelie couldn’t quite believe that she’d met Billie Joe at last. Tre had often talked about him and Mike but she never thought she’d ever get to meet him.

It would have been impossible really if she’d thought about it but she was quite sure that she’d met him for a reason.

Otherwise, why would he be here?

Billie was just as she’d imagined, friendly, extremely good-looking and very down to earth. She wondered why he had come to New York. Where were his family? Tre and Mike weren’t with him; he seemed to be alone. May be he was going through a difficult time. She hadn’t seen Tre for absolutely ages now and she wasn’t sure when she’d ever see Tre again but then Tre wouldn’t have discussed Billie’s problems with her she was sure of it.

It was dark now outside as Amelie looked out over Central Park. She was lonely and hated the dark, it scared her and she knew she’d get the nightmares again, especially if she went to bed early. She wished Joe was still here but that was impossible, Joe died in the 9/11 disaster, his body was never recovered and she knew she’d never get over it.

There was nothing for it; she’d knock at Tre’s apartment just to see if Billie wanted to come in for a drink.

She could do with some company.

**

Billie was sitting on the sofa with a bottle of beer nestled in his lap, one hand wrapped around the stem. He lifted the bottle and took a drink then looked at the girl sitting on the floor opposite him, sitting there cross-legged. She wore grey jogging bottoms, and a huge grey sweatshirt that was falling off one shoulder. Her dark brown hair was fanned out around her, slightly damp at the ends where she’d obviously washed it before he came. He could smell her newly showered scent and she was wearing the funniest slippers he’d ever seen, Sponge Bob Square Pants ones.

He couldn’t help but smile.

“So how is Tre?” said Amelie grabbing a cushion from the chair behind her and hugging it.

“Well, I don’t know if you know but him and Claudia, they’re not getting on too well at the moment.”

“Oh, I didn’t know,” said Amelie. Of course she wouldn’t know, it was impossible for her to know, she couldn’t remember the last time she’d spoken to Tre. “Poor Tre. Claudia was lovely when I met her, they came out just after they got together, he wanted to introduce her to Ramona. She was very beautiful.” Said Amelia.

“Yeah, she did some modelling once upon a time,” said Billie draining his bottle.

“Would you like another?” said Amelie getting up.

“Hey, you stay there, you look too comfortable to move. I’ll get myself a beer, can I get you one?” he said standing up and glancing down at the girl.

“Why not?” said Amelie who had been drinking a coffee up until now.

She watched him leave the room, he wore tight black pants but they were baggy around his butt and a punk belt, twisted to the side. His white T shirt was crumpled, like he’d just grabbed it out of his holdall without even bothering to iron it.

Why would he bother? He was only coming next door for a drink after all.

He was very attractive and that was the first time she’d really noticed anyone since Joe.

“Thanks,” she said as Billie held the bottle of beer out to her. She took a drink from the bottle and felt the alcohol straight away as it flowed through her veins. She wasn’t used to drinking, she’d best be careful she thought.

He slumped down on the sofa, taking another gulp from the bottle.

“So how long are you here for?” said Amelie. “I’m going to have to join you on the sofa, its not as comfortable sitting here as it obviously looks,” she said getting up from the floor and sitting on the other end of the sofa from Billie.

“Just two weeks.” Said Billie.

“Forgive me if I speak out of turn,” said Amelie staring at this guy with the jet-black hair that was slightly wavy at his neck and with immensely bright green eyes, “but did you not want to spend your vacation with your wife and kids?”

“Its not really a vacation,” said Billie glancing up through his thick black lashes, “its more of a…well a….time away from everything, I need to get away from everything to concentrate on writing this new album. There’s too much going on at home.”

“Oh…I’m sorry, I can’t help myself sometimes, just call me nosy parker,” she said trying to make light of it.

“Its OK, I’m hardly away from them all unless I’m touring. I’m never on my own, ever, if I’m touring I have the guys and the crew and its always pretty rowdy, there’s generally lots going on, interviews and TV appearances then signings and of course the gigs.” He said reminiscing and wondering if he’d ever have that again, well he wouldn’t if he couldn’t think about what to write.

“Sounds awesome but I bet you’ll miss everybody,” she said.

“Yeah, as I say, I’ve never really been on my own. I have this huge family too, there’s always someone calling up and popping round, I think its going to be weird,” he said taking yet another gulp.

“I’m sure you’ll get used to it, sometimes its pretty peaceful being on your own.”

“I’m sorry, you’re obviously on your own at the moment, I didn’t mean to upset you,” he said sincerely noticing Amelie’s sad expression.

“Its fine. My family live abroad and my…my fiancée was killed. We were to be married soon and…it’s quite difficult at times,” she said but finding it easy to talk openly to Billie.

“I’m sorry,” said Billie. “I can’t imagine what you’re going through.”

“I’ve been through some shit but I think it’s going to be OK. Joe was in one of the twin towers when they fell. George Bush has a lot to answer for,” she said taking a sip from her own bottle, the beer loosening her tongue.

“He sure has, he’s a complete and utter….”

“Asshole,” said Amelie finishing his sentence.

“You got it,” said Billie.

“He’s bringing this country down but people can’t see it, they need to be told, we have a bad reputation you know.”

“Yeah, and after 9/11 it’s got much worse,” said Billie.

“Please don’t mention the towers, I can’t…” then Amelie got up and went over to the window, Billie could see that she was crying.

Suddenly he didn’t know what to do, he felt awkward. He placed his bottle of beer on the coffee table and stood up, going over to the girl.

He put his hand on her shoulder.

“Amelie, hey, I’m sorry, look, I’ll go,” he said.

“No, its just me, I’m sorry to have made you feel awkward,” she said turning to him.

He found her eyes mesmerizing, he’d never seen a colour like it, a very strange blue. Blue/black, he couldn’t describe them.

She’d never seen eyes so green, emerald green but she knew she shouldn’t be looking at his eyes and thinking how lovely they were. She couldn’t have him because he wasn’t hers to have.

“No, I’ll go,” said Billie then he smiled, “I could do with some sleep and hopefully tomorrow a song will come to my mind,” he said tapping the side of his head.

“Thanks for coming,” said Amelie as she followed Billie to the front door.

“Hey, may be I can repay you a coffee sometime,” he said as he stood outside the door his hand rubbing over his hair and mussing it up.

“Yeah, I’d like that,” she replied then she closed the door on him.

**

Billie had left his phone back at Tres and he noticed that Adrienne had been trying to contact him.

Shit.

He checked his watch, it wasn’t the right time to call and she would wonder where he was.

He would explain tomorrow he thought to himself as he got into bed and thought of the girl next door, Amelie.

She’d affected him in some way that he couldn’t describe. Nobody affected him; well the only other person that had affected him like this was Adrienne.