Billie's Inspiration

A Beautiful Happy Memory

When Billie woke he didn’t really feel guilt at all, may be a slight guilt because he’d cheated on Adrienne but for some reason he knew there was nothing in it, it was just something he had to do with Amelie, he’d wanted to do it and it had been a beautiful experience but he knew it wouldn’t be happening again and he knew that Amelie felt the same way.

It would only be the once so there was no reason to feel guilty, not at all, because this morning, on waking he’d never felt so alive, so alive and full of energy, he was practically bursting with it, ideas were running through his mind, trying to get out and he knew what he had to do, get those ideas and words down as quick as he could before he forgot them.

So he did. He wrote them down, he spent five hours sitting there, smoking, drinking the occasional coffee but finally at 7pm he sat back in the chair and sighed.

He’d finished. He’d done it; he’d achieved what he’d come out here for. Whatever it was that he’d come here to New York for had worked.

He could go home happy, he could go home to his family and friends and show them all he’d done and achieved.

He was satisfied apart from one thing.

There was one person he felt should see all he’d done before they said goodbye.

Amelie.

The girl that had affected him, the girl who Billie didn’t know how but had put some of the ideas for the new album into his head. He was sure it was her even though the ideas had come from him. He was sure she had something to do with it but he couldn’t work out how.

He’d show her, he’d show her what he’d done and he wanted to show her now.

**

As he reached Amelie’s front door he noticed it was ajar. He pushed the door open, the place was deserted, Amelie didn’t appear to be here. Nothing was here, the place was empty, empty of furnishings, and it was dusty and unlived in.

There was a guy there, the tall, skinny guy who he’d seen before on the stairs, the pale guy.

“You again,” said the guy. What the fuck was he doing here? Thought Billie.

“Yeah…I…”

“You’re looking for someone?” said the guy. “I don’t know what you think you’re playing at but…this place has been empty for two years now, what’s your game?” He said.

“I…don’t know what you mean…Amelie, she was living here,” said Billie.

“You’re off your head,” said the guy. “There is no Amelie. I’ve been the caretaker here for over a year now and I’m telling you…this place has been empty. Everyone knows why it’s been left empty so just fuck off will ya,” said the guy coming up to him. His teeth were yellow and his eyes threatening so Billie just turned and left the apartment, confused.

The guy was a nutcase thought Billie, what the fuck did he mean when he said the place was empty? Amelie hadn’t said anything about moving out. Then he remembered her leaving his bed during the night. Surely she couldn’t have got her stuff out in all that quick a time, no way. Had he driven her away with what they’d done? He was confused; he didn’t know what to think. Where the fuck was she?

Going back into Tre’s Billie felt weird being there. Suddenly it all felt wrong and he felt the yearning to be back with his family.

The phone rang.

“Hello,” said Billie going to the window and looking out over central park and glancing at their bench. There was a couple sitting there, a dark haired guy that looked like him and a girl with a huge hat on. She looked like Amelie but as her hat blew off and the other guy ran after it he knew it wasn’t her because this girl on the bench was blonde.

“Billie, its Adrienne. Listen, we’ve decided not to go to Moms, the kids are busy and so am I so, we’ll be here, we’re not going anywhere,” said Adrienne.

“But I am,” said Billie. “I’m coming home today Adrienne, I want to be back, its done, my work here is done and I’m ready to come home. I can’t wait to show you all that I’ve achieved,” he said.

“Oh Billie, but you’re not due home for over another week.” She said, happiness evident in her voice. She was ecstatic, her Billie was coming home.

“I know but I’ve written so much, my mind’s shot and there’s no way I can write any more,” he said.

He couldn’t wait to see her again. Moving away from the window and moving away from his thoughts of Amelie he ended his phone call from Adrienne and immediately started packing his stuff up.

He was going home, he couldn’t wait but he knew that a tiny, tiny part of him would always belong in New York.

**

On the plane home he felt sad because he never got to say goodbye to Amelie, he would have liked to, he felt he owed her something. He’d enjoyed the time he’d spent with her, enjoyed their night together and he wanted to wish her well in her life and it had upset him that she hadn’t shown up. He couldn’t get why the apartment she’d been in was empty. Where had she gone? May be Tre would have an answer.

But for now, Amelie would remain a memory, a beautiful happy one, a beautiful happy memory with navy blue eyes.