Find Me

Chapter One

Mercy Vexed was sitting in library reading a novel, like most of the other citizens in various places of the building. A man joined her at the table. Not taking notice of her surroundings, and not caring, Mercy kept her head down and concentrated on the book she had in her hand.

The library was a quaint little place. It was built in 1857 when the town started to develop itself. Mercy loved the library. Over the four years that she’d lived in this town and with all the times that she’d spent here reading she’d become good friends with the librarian. Her name was Agatha and she was eighty-three years old. Despite her age she could still hold her own against the best of them. She had taken a shine to Mercy. They always spoke of the latest novels out, the old poetry and the subtext that can be found in almost everything.

As Mercy kept reading as the man opposite her began to drum his fingers on the table. It started out slowly and lightly, which didn’t faze Mercy that much, and so she ignored him. After a minute of listening to the quiet drumming she became used to it, but then he started to tap harder. Now instead of it sounding almost like rain on a roof, it sounded more like hammering.

This sound was more than annoying.

“Could you please stop that?” Mercy asked, her head still in the book.

The man sighed but relented.

Mercy kept reading as the man started to move around. He kept moving his chair one way, then back again. Apparently this man didn’t have any library etiquette. To Mercy, it seemed as though he was doing all of this just to torment her. She chased that thought away with rationality. Why would a stranger just decide to irritate something they don’t know?

The man seized his actions completely.

Timidly, Mercy glanced up at the man to see what he was doing this time. He was intently staring at her. She quickly looked back down, hoping that he didn’t notice she had peeked over her book. Maybe the man didn’t realize what he was doing. Maybe he was a bit deranged and wasn’t totally aware of what was going on. She continued to try to rationalize his actions, but came up with no real answer.

‘Maybe I should leave…’ Mercy thought. She weighed up her options. She could confront the man, which didn’t seem like the safest choice, she could move tables, or she could leave. ‘Or maybe I could tell him a thing or two about being courteous towards others.’
She sighed, realizing that unless she wanted to be further irritated she would most likely have to leave.

Getting up Mercy kept the book in her right hand as she approached Agatha.

“Just this one today.” Mercy smiled. She refrained from expressing her annoyance about the man who had sat across from her.

Agatha smiled back and handed the book over. “Okay. Have it back by next Tuesday please.”

~*~

Jacques Slain had confirmed with his superior that he had found his target. It took him six long years but he had her now. Trying to get her attention failed, and he blew his cover when he started staring at her face, wanting her to look up. But at least he confirmed that she was the woman from the photograph.

Now all he needs to do is execute his plan, then she’d be his. The Program should reward him nicely for this.

Jacques stood, pushed in his chair and slowly began to trail his target. She was fairly pretty, light green eyes, dark brown hair. But it seemed she had a bit of a temper. That would not be tolerated in The Program. Nevertheless, Jacques is sure she’ll be a good recruit. After all he was once like her, young and angry at the world. All that changed. He has a purpose now. The Program helped him realize that purpose.

As his target left Jacques picked up his pace from a slow saunter to a determined walk. He strode towards the door when he heard a voice from behind.

“Excuse me sir, but are you planning on borrowing that book? If not, could you please leave it here?”

Jacques looked down. He forgot that he had a book in his hand. It was really just a cover until he located the girl.

“Sorry ma’am, I didn’t realize I still had it.” He placed the book down on the counter and gave the lady behind it an award winning smile.

She smiled back, telling him that it was okay. She acted like it was, but unbeknownst to Jacques, something about the way he acted made her uneasy. She was relieved to see the back of him walking out of the library.

When she picked up the book that he was reading, she was surprised. He had been reading a children’s book. Peculiar as he was, something told the woman that he wasn’t the type to be taken with stories of hope and beliefs that most children’s books convey.

‘What an odd man…’ she thought.

~*~

Mercy stepped out into the busy street and began walking left, towards the direction of her apartment. She hugged herself as the chill of the day took hold. Whilst making her way, Mercy had an odd feeling. Suddenly, and quite strangely, she felt like everyone was looking at her.

‘Nonsense,’ she scolded, ‘You’re just be ridiculous now.’

She couldn’t quite place what had made her feel such a way, nor could she define what the feeling was. A state of confusion washed over her for a moment, before a man’s voice broke her away from her train of thought.

“Miss!” he cried.

Mercy turned, saw no-one she knew, and so passing it off as irrelevant to her, kept walking.

“Miss, please, wait a second.” Mercy felt something catch her arm.

Dark surprised washed over her as she saw the man from the library holding her. Defensively she snatched her arm back and stared him down.

“I have to apologize. I’m terribly sorry for the way I was acting in the library. Honestly, I didn’t mean to offend you or anything like that. Please, accept my apology."

Mercy looked the man in the eye. Something about him didn’t seem sincere.

“Okay, accepted.” She said as she turned on her heel to leave.

Once again he caught her sleeve.

“Please, let me make it up to you.”

“No, really, it’s okay.”

“Please. Just let me do something. How about dinner?” he asked with persistence sounding in every word.

Mercy couldn’t believe this guy. Sure, he was attractive, but honestly, he was also a bit unnerving. “It’s fine. Really.”

“Please miss, I want to make it up to you.”

She could see that he wouldn’t take no for an answer. “Fine then. Dinner.” She said reluctantly.

“Great. I’ll pick you up at about.. 7. Where do you live?”

“How about we meet at a place?” No way was she giving this creep her address. She didn’t even know his name!

For a moment he looked upset about this, but quickly hid it with a smile. “That works too. How about the little Italian restaurant down Main Street?”

Mercy nodded. Earlier all she wanted was to get away from this man and now she was making dinner plans? She could draw no sense from these events.

“By the way, I’m Jacques.” He held out his hand to her, which she halfheartedly shook.

“Mercy.”

“What a pretty name.” he chimed.

Mercy started to walk away. “Thanks…”

Feeling rather bizarre Mercy practically jogged home. She didn’t like the vibe from that man, but if she hadn’t agreed they’d probably still be talking. She didn’t know exactly what made him so threatening, and Mercy honestly didn’t really care to find out. Once inside she locked the door behind her.

For a moment she took in her surroundings. Her apartment wasn’t the ritziest place in the city, but it wasn’t cramped either. Like the neighboring places her kitchen is to the left from the front door, as is the laundry. To the right are the living area, and a small corridor. The bedroom with an adjacent bathroom is down the end of the hallway.

Stepping off to the left, Mercy placed the book she borrowed on the bench. She began pacing around the kitchen still thinking of the strange man from the library.