Miserable at Best

2ndd

“You better go over to Will’s” AJ warned. We were sitting on her bed AJ under the covers, nose red, a waste basket full of used tissues on her right, two boxes of Puffs plus on her right. I was sitting on the edge of the bed, playing with some loose thread on her duvet cover.

“Why? He told me he was coming over here” I said, panicking slightly when I pulled a big chunk of thread out, causing some cotton stuffing to show. I quickly folded it under, hoping she wouldn’t notice. The duvet was a gift from our great-grandmother, it cost $400, and the last thing I needed was a wrestling match with my brawny twin. Not that she was overly brawny, but she could beat my ex-baseball star cousin at arm wrestling.

“Don't you remember the last time Will came over for dinner? Mom made him wear one of Dad’s suits, and no one ever saw that Members-Only jacket again” she said with a dramatic air, her eyes humorous.

I laughed; “I guess I’ll go spare him another crappy jacket” I got up and left.

“Remember to keep your knees shut!” she called after me as I shut the door.

I hopped into my car and began driving to Will’s apartment, imagining his closet, and what could possibly look presentable to my mother. See, my mother runs an etiquette school and all manners must be perfect, which meant that she wasn’t so crazy about me having Will as a boyfriend. She was okay with it when I first dated him because she thought it wasn’t serious, but now that I was spending most of my time with him, she was constantly complaining.

“Seriously, Ella, could you imagine him being a family man? He didn't even finish high school! How is he supposed to provide for you in the future?!” I remembered her complain one day after I came home half an hour past curfew because I was busy cleaning Will’s apartment.

Honestly, I didn't care if he could ‘provide for me’, I could that myself, and I wasn’t even thinking about having a family yet.

I pulled up to Will’s apartment, looked up and saw blue-ish light coming from his window. It was just like him to procrastinate getting ready.

I locked my car, looking around to make sure there were no shifty people lurking. Will lived in a grittier neighborhood than I was used to.

I made my way up to Will’s floor, trying to get some much-needed cardio. I knocked on his door and stood back a little, waiting.

“I don't have the rent today!” I heard Will shout.

“Its Ella” I said, quietly, but loud enough for him to hear.

I immediately heard moving of chairs and shuffling of papers. I rolled my eyes. He had already messed up the place even though I just cleaned it up a couple days ago.

“Hey honey” he said, opening the door, his clear blue eyes light and humorous. They were the main attraction for me. I smiled, went on my tip-toes and kissed his cheek, “Hi”

“I thought I told you I was coming there” he said, holding my face between his hands, which were rough from working in the auto shop.

“I’m here as the fashion police to ticket you on your fashion faux-pas” I said, brushing past him, heading straight for his closet, opening it, examining his clothes.

“Don't you have anything dressy?” I asked, exasperated.

“You look beautiful, Ella” Will murmured, wrapping his arms around my waist from behind and pulling me against him.

“Will stop” I said, knowing he was just trying to distract me from lecturing him about proper dinner-wear.

“No, really, that dress is really cute on you” he said, giving my neck a soft kiss.

“Will…you need to look well-dressed for this or my mom isn’t gonna let us be together, and for God sakes could you not talk on and on about your band again like last time?” I said, detaching myself from him and continuing to search through his numerous band t-shirts, ripped jeans, and hoodies, trying to find something my mother would approve of.

“Your mom wouldn’t do that to us” he protested.

“Really? You should see all the guys my mom has lined up for me, they’re all Parkinson-perfect” I said with a grimace, “Okay, put these jeans on” I threw him a pair of clean, not ripped dark jeans, “…and this shirt” I threw him a white dress shirt from prom.

He gave me an exasperated look and went into the bathroom. After a few minutes he came out, looking adorably messy. His light brown hair was untidy, hair sticking out in random places, his shirt not fully buttoned, his jeans wrinkled.

I couldn’t help but smile as peeked down at me, his blue eyes sparkling beneath his hair, a slight smirk on his face.

“You like it?” he asked, wrapping his arms around my waist.

“Mmmm…” I mumbled, digging my head into his chest, “I’m so tired”

“I love you” he whispered, stroking my hair, brushing his lips against the top of my head.

“I know” I said, looking up at him and giggling.

“Oh you do, do you?” he growled playfully, picking me up, causing me to let out a surprised shriek.

“I’m not putting you down till you say you love me back” he whispered in my ear teasingly.

“I actually kinda like it up here” I said, wrapping my arms around his neck and snuggling against his chest.

“Please Ella my arms are killing me” he said, his voice cracking, making me laugh.

“You know I love you” I said, as he set me down.

I buttoned the rest of his shirt then moved my hands to his hair, trying to tame some of the pieces that were sticking up.

“I have something for you, Ella” he said, going into the living room and picking up an envelope

“Will I told you, no more spontaneous gifts, then I feel bad because I didn't get you anything” I sighed.

“It’s just something, it may not mean anything to you but…I don't know just take it” he mumbled, shoving the envelope into my hands, not catching my gaze.

I furrowed my brow slightly and tore the envelope open with my finger. Inside there was a single copper-colored key. I looked up at him, even more confused, “What’s this?”

“A key to my apartment” he whispered, suddenly gripping my hand.

“Will…you didn't have to…” I stuttered but he cut across me, “I wanted to”

“Why?” I asked shakily.

“I just thought it could make getting in easier since you’re over here so often” he explained, a hand on my cheek.

“But don't you want privacy?”

“What could I possibly keep from you? You organized my apartment…more than once, you know where everything is more than I do” he smirked.

“I love you” I mumbled as he began leaning closer to me.

“Baby…” he whispered before pressing his lips against mine. He moved his lips against mine gently, holding my face in his hands. “I love you too” he murmured between kisses.

“Will…we should go” I mumbled, moving away from him.

“What time is it?” he asked eyes dazed.

“Um…” I said, looking down at my watch, and then letting out a small gasp, “Crap! We’re gonna be late!” I took his arm and dragged him out of his apartment building and into my car.

“Ella, it’s okay if you’re a little late right? Your mom’s not gonna kill you” Will soothed as I sped down the avenue.

I stopped with a screeching halt at the stoplight and gave him and looked over at him dumbfounded, “Will, we’ve been dating for two years, and you think my mother will forgive us if we’re even a second late? You’re crazy”

“Sweetheart…just calm down” he purred, reaching out a hand and stroking my hair as I continued to speed down the freeway.

“Um…baby?” Will said with a hint of alarm in his voice.

“What?” I snapped.

“Wasn’t that a red light back there?” As soon as he said this, police sirens started blaring behind us and red and blue lights flashed.

“Shit!” I screamed, pulling over and digging my face in my hands.

Will rolled the window down, “Hey officer” he said, uneasily.

“Is she alright over there?” a deep voice, obviously the cop’s, asked.

“Yeah, she just has anxiety problems” Will said, laughing a little.

“I do not Will!” I shouted, turning my head to face him, my eyes blazing.

“Miss, I’m gonna need to see your driver’s license” the cop said.

I nodded hastily and opened my glove compartment, searching through it feverishly, but coming up with nothing. That’s when it hit me; my license was at home on my dresser.

“I don't have it” I said through gritted teeth, staring straight ahead. I was gripping the wheel so hard my knuckles were turning white.

“Miss, I’m sorry but I’m going to have to give you a ticket for skipping a red light and driving without a license” the police officer said, tearing a ticket from his pad and holding it out to me. I didn't take it; I couldn’t even look in his direction. Will took the ticket, muttering, “Thanks, officer”

I could hear the officer smirk and say, “You kids have a good night” and with that, he walked back into his car and drove away.

“Have a good night, how are we supposed to have a fucking good night after you gave us a fucking ticket you bastard!” the curses just poured out of my mouth as I broke out sobbing.

“Honey, no please don't cry, it’s going to be alright” Will murmured, taking me in his arms.

“God damn it no it’s not!” I screamed, gripping his shirt, continuing to bawl uncontrollably into his chest, “My mom won’t understand she never understands!”

“Here…here let me drive and I’ll explain everything to your mother, I’ll say it was my fault” Will whispered, holding my face in his hands.

“No…no my mom will definitely break us up then, it was my entire fault, Will, I don't want you to get in trouble, I’m just stressed out alright?” I hiccupped, trying to take deep breaths, readying myself for my mother’s wrath.

“Just let me drive then” he sighed, wiping away some of my tears. I nodded, biting my lip. He pulled me over his lap and into the passenger’s seat while simultaneously gliding into the driver’s seat. He started up the car and continued driving at a steady pace, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. I rested my head on his shoulder as he drove closer and closer to my house. I imagined my mother sitting in the leaving room with my aunt, uncle and cousins, with that fake smile plastered on her face while she tried to make awkward small talk.