Runaway

The One

It's a sunny Wednesday, and I'm walking back to the pub from town. I am swinging bags, my hair bouncing on my shoulders. It's just past my shoulders, scraped over one side of my face. I pause at the side of the road, waiting to cross, and that's when I see October and Aiden looking for Evil.
My heart crawls up my throat. They look so small, so weak, so helpless. They miss Evil, almost as much as she misses them.
But I won't let her go back.
I keep my head down and run back. I act normal, playing my new CD's and trying on my new clothes. I bought Evil a top-red, the same colour as her newly-dyed hair. It cheers her up-she hasn't stopped crying.
The next day, Evil goes down to shop, and I don't realise, and when I do, it's too late.
The police come, with our parents, Aiden and October and Evil. She's crying, clutching October's hand like a little kid.
Clover's mother hugs him tightly, sobbing, while Ebony licks her fingers. Scarlett's mum and dad and baby brother cover her in kisses, crying too. Raven and Pink's parents cry and hug them. Not mine.
Mum yells.
" Do you know how much stress you've caused me!?" she screams.
Stress.
Not pain.
Not worry.
Not suffering.
She doesn't even look stressed. In fact, she looks better than ever.
Toby and Kelly look like they can't be bothered.
But Dad-Gerard-looks a tiny bit remorsful.
I get taken home with strict orders that I'm never to see Evil again. Not that she will mind. She gave a dirty look before I went and hissed,
" You knew they were here. Why didn't you say anything?"
I guess I kept her in captivity because I figured I needed her more. I needed someone to love me, and she seemed the only one.
But now I've lost her too.