Sequel: Second Heartbeat

If I Was Perfect,Then This Would Be Easy

Unexpected meeting

I woke up to Mrs. Walker calling my name.

"It's breakfast time, honey." She said sweetly.

If I ever had a grandma, I would've liked to have her. Both pairs of my grandparents were dead.

I got up, and I followed her to the kitchen. Emily was already happily eating eggs and bacon. I sat down to Emily's left.

"It's really good," she said smiling.

I smiled back at her. I began eating, and it was good.

"After you two eat, I'll drive you both to the court." Mr. Walker said. "Why?" I asked.

"For the case," he said. "What case?" I asked.

"The battle against your father and mother," Mrs. Walker. I almost choked on the piece of egg lodged into my throat.

"M-my mother?" I asked desperately. "Yes, she wants full custody of you two. I must say she looks exactly like you," Mrs. Walker said.

I nodded.

My mom came back for us, even after everything she's been through with my dad.

"She insisted on seeing you two earlier, but the court voted against it. You'll see her today, of course." Mrs. Walker said.

"This'll be a very quick case, considering you two are both seventeen. You're almost adults, so they'll probably ask who you want to live with." Mr. Walker said.

I nodded.

I was hoping it'd be quick.

I finished up my breakfast quickly.

Mr. and Mrs. Walker were both very nice, and they never looked or talked to Emily or me the wrong way.

Emily was done with fixing her hair and make-up, and I was just sitting on the couch.

This was it. This was the day I finally got to see my mom again. My mom. I'd be able to her face again. I'd be able to hug and kiss her. She would tell me that everything was going to be just fine again. Her brown eyes would comfort me, as she sang me to sleep.

I sighed.

I was falling asleep just thinking about her again. The thought of her made me feel so protected and secure. I closed my eyes, and I felt someone shake my arm.

"Emma, you can't be sleep already, can you?" Mrs. Walker said smiling. "No, I was just thinking of something," I said standing up.

"Oh, well it's time to go to the court now," she said smiling.

I nodded. I guess I was ready now.

The drive there was quiet. Emily was just humming something, and I just continued to think of my mom. I missed her so much. I couldn't wait to see her, to hold her in my arms again.

"We're here, girls." Mrs. Walker said.

I walked out of the car. It was a normal courthouse. There were no cameras, but I guess I should've never thought there'd be any.

I sighed as I walked through the doors. Mrs. Walker guided Emily and me through many twists and turns.

"It's right through this door. I hope you guys get what you want," she said smiling. She left Emily and me staring at the door.

"It's time," I said. I didn't realized how corny it was until the words left my mouth.

Emily just smiled at me. She nodded.

"Let's go see our mom," she said.

I pushed the door open, and I could see her.

It was the back of her head, but it was definitely her. My heart started to pound.

Emily and I walked in slowly. There was a security guard in the front.

"The girls are here," he said. His voice was booming, and it echoed in the almost empty room.

My mom's head turned quickly. She had a smile on her face. She looked exactly the same as she did, just as I remembered. She had a few bags under her eyes though.

Before I could even think, my legs started to run for her.

"Mom!" I yelled. I reached her in a matter of seconds. I hugged onto her tightly.

"I've missed you so much," she said kissing my head. "I did too," I said. I could feel Emily hugging us both.

"Mom," she whispered.

"Emily, Emma. God, I've missed you girls," she said hugging us both. "Well, I can obviously see who the girls want to live with." I heard a loud voice say.

I broke my hug with my mom, to see the judge.

He was a fairly older man, but his job seemed to age him beyond his years. He wore thick-rimmed glasses, and he had salt and pepper hair.

"So I assume the girls are not in the possession of Tiffany Goodwin?" The judge asked.

"No, sir." My mom said. "Girls, you can go sit in the audience seats." The judge said.

We nodded, and we looked over at our mom.

"Go sit," she said. We both sat down.

The judge asked my mom a couple of minor questions, mostly about her lifestyle. I guess my mom did keep up with her dream job of being an artist. She was living alone in a four bedroom home in Texas still.

"Well, it looks like you have a very friendly enviroment for these two girls, Ms. Goodwin." The judge said. "Thank you," my mom said smiling.

I was sure that she'd win. How couldn't she win?

"So Mr. Edwards, we've already talked about your lifestyle. You also have a very good enviroment for the girls. You've got the finicial part down, and you even have a wife to fill in the maternal gap." The judge said.

I shook my head.

"That's fucking bullshit!" I yelled stand up.

The judge just stared at me.

"I suggest you watch your language," he said.

I nodded.

"So why do you disagree...?" He paused. "Emma," I said. "Yes, why do you disagree, Emma?" He asked.

"First of all, we hate his wife. I'd never look up to her as a mother figure, let alone a human being." I said.

Emily stood up next to me.

"She's a horrible woman. She just pretends to be an angel," Emily said. "As for the good enviroment, that's a whole lie." I said. "He beats us," Emily said.

The judge looked at us with disbelief in his eyes. He thought we were lying!

"We have proof!" I said.

I rolled up my sleeve. The bruises were still very noticable.

"He did this to me," I said pointing. The judges face turned sour.

"Did you do that to you daughter, Mr. Edwards?" He asked harshly. "Of course not. She hangs out with a bad group of boys. They probably did it to her," my dad said.

"Liar!" Emily and I yelled. I wanted to pull his hair out.

"Now why are your daughters agruing against you?" The judge asked. "They have bad friends, so they want to push the blame against anyone." He said.

I felt the tears streaming down my face.

"Don't you ever talk about them like that again!" I yelled. "They've been better to us than you've ever been to another human being!" Emily shouted.

"I think we need to carry on tomorrow." The judge said standing up.

As he was just about to leave the room, he stopped.

"Girls, bring your friends with you tomorrow." He said.

We nodded, and he left.

My mom walked over to us.

"So who are these young men you guys are so close to?" She asked. "Our best friends," I said. "Let's go meet them," she said.

Emily nodded.