Sequel: Second Heartbeat

If I Was Perfect,Then This Would Be Easy

Good enough?

I knocked on Brian's door. The door swung open.

"Emma," he said sighing.

He grabbed me into a death hug.

"God, I was so scared. I thought the lady would kidnap you and Emily." He said. "It's okay, we're okay." I said hugging him back.

We let go of one another.

"Brian, this is our mom," I said.

Brian looked up.

"Hello, Ms....?" He asked. "Ms. Goodwin," she said holding out her hand.

He shook it.

"I'm Brian Haner," he said. "So are you one of the young men dating one of my daughters?" she asked.

"No, I'm just Emma's best friend." Brian said smiling.

My mom nodded. She seemed rather disappointed though. I couldn't blame her. Brian was quite the looker. She was probably thinking that he'd give her the most adorable grandchildren ever.

"I could go get the other guys for you. They're just upstairs," Brian said. "That would be nice," my mom said.

Brian ran upstairs, leaving us at the doorway.

"Come in, Mom." I said walking in.

I was pretty damn sure that Brian wouldn't mind us walking in like this. We all sat down on the couch. Matt was the first one down. He had a blond girl walking with him.

"I'm Matt Sanders, and this is my girlfriend Val." Matt said smiling.

My mom nodded. So far, she approved of Brian and Matt. So this was going good. Jimmy and Johnny came running down the stairs. I could see Emily's smile flash on.

"Jimmy Sullivan," Jimmy said happily.

My mom smiled at him. Two more to go.

"Johnathan Seward," Johnny said smiling. "So you're dating Emily?" My mom asked. "Well, I guess you could call it that." He said shrugging.

"Darling, you picked the short one." My mom said to Emily. Emily sighed.

Emily stood up next to Johnny.

"Mom, if you hadn't noticed, neither Emma or me got your long legs." Emily said pointing to her height then Johnny's.

"So where is your boyfriend, Emma? Is he Jimmy?" My mom asked. "No, Jimmy's already taken. My boyfriend's Zacky," I said. "Where is he?" She asked.

"Oh, he had to go home. He said he needed something, but he'll probably come back empty-handed." Jimmy said smiling.

The guys must've hid something of Zacky's from him. I shrugged

"What were all you guys doing here in the first place?" I asked. "Band rehearsal," Jimmy said. I nodded.

Sure enough, Zacky came walking through the door.

"Guys, I can't find it." He said.

He instantly paused, when he saw everyone staring at him. He flashed me a gorgeous smile, and I got butterflies in my stomach.

I walked over to Zacky, giving him a big hug.

"Zacky, I missed you." I said. "I miss you more," he said hugging me back.

He gave me a little kiss on the forehead. I smiled. God, he was too good to be true.

I let go of him.

"Zacky, this is my mom, Ms. Goodwin." I said.

He stared at her, expecting her to do something.

"I'm very glad to meet you, Ms. Goodwin." He said politely.

"Johnny, I need you to stand up straight for me," my mom said.

Soon she was circling him, looking up and down. She grabbed his arm and gave it a squeeze. You could practically see that Johnny was freaking out. He didn't want to make a bad impression.

My mom stopped in front of Johnny. She turned around and faced Emily.

"Oh, my good girl! You can pick 'em!" She yelled wrapping her arms around Emily's neck. My mom turned around to give Johnny a hug as well.

"You better not break her heart," she warned. Johnny nodded. "I'd never dream of it," he said smiling.

My mom turned over to Zacky.

Zacky immediately stood up straight, looking straight ahead. He was definitely tense. She circled him, looking up and down again. I felt a little weird.

My mom was practically checking my guy out.

She stopped in front of him.

"I guess he'll do," she said.

The words seemed to slap me in the face. He'll do?

"Mom, he's the best guy in the whole world." I said. "I like him enough. It's just that..." She trailed off.

"Just what?" I asked.

She looked at me with pleading eyes.

"Mom, he's the guy for me," I said.

She sighed.

"Honey, he's really great and everything, but-"

But what?" I asked interrupting her. I didn't give her any time to answer me.

"He's always been there for me. He saved me from an asshole on the second day of school. He was the very first person that saw my bruises," I said.

My mom's face was sad.

"Darling, I know you like him a lot, but it's just something in me that doesn't want you and him to be together." She said grabbing my hands.

I looked at her, hoping my eyes looked sad enough.

"Why do you not like him?" I asked. "He reminds me so much of your father," she said.

I let go of her hands.

"He's nothing like him," I whispered. "I know, but I can't help it." She said.

I looked over to Zacky. His black hair and beautiful green eyes were definitely features of my own father.

"Did you know that Zacky was the one who punched Dad?" I said. "He punched him?"

"Yes, Zacky is the one who gave Dad his big black eye," I said.

It made me smile.

"Zacky watches over me. He's always worried about me, he's always been." I said sniffling.

"Darling, I understand. I know how you feel about him. I'll get used to him. He'll be the best son-in-law I'll ever have," she said hugging me.

I heard Emily clear her throat.

"I guess he'll be in a tie with Johnny," my mom corrected herself. "Thank you, Mom." I said.

My mom spent the rest of the night getting used to the guys. They laughed, they talked, and they all got along pretty well. Clem ended up coming over, and my mom is in love with her.

"She has so much spirit," my mom said.

Clem brought another girl along with her. She was like an exact copy of Val, but with brown hair. Turns out Val has a twin.

A twin that was very interested in Mr. Haner Junior. Although the girls and I hinted it so many times to Brian, he never seemed to get it.

So Clem just shoved Michelle into him, telling him they belonged together. He got it then, but he did seem rather wary about the whole thing.

They were quite adorable together though.

So the night went by fast, and my mom has said she loves both Zacky and Johnny.