Sequel: Second Heartbeat

If I Was Perfect,Then This Would Be Easy

Rehearsal

School ended quickly. Time sure did pass by quickly, when the teachers weren't here.

There was only one thing that bothered me. Zacky seemed to be ignoring me.

What happened? In English, we seemed to be getting along. He even helped me get away from Josh a second time.

This time I was even able to say thanks, and this time I didn't run away from him.

"Emma," I heard my sister yell. "Hey, Emily." I said smiling at her.

"Come on, Emma. We gotta go," Brian said. "Can my sister come?" I asked.

Brian just stared at me.

"Would she even want to come?" He asked.

He had a confused look on his face, and it was absolutely adorable.

"Of course she would." I said. "Emma, can I come?" Emily asked walking up to us.

She looked over to Brian, who looked very uncomfortable.

"God, I can't say no to twins," he said smiling. Emily had a smile plastered on her face.

She turned to me, and she hugged me tightly.

"I'm so happy," she said. "I know, I can feel it." I said.

Brian walked us over to his car.

"I call shot gun," I yelled running to the car.

Emily just shrugged. I could hear Brian laughing at me as I almost fell.

"Whoa!" I said, stopping in my tracks.

I looked around myself.

"What did you trip on?" Emily asked.

I kept on searching.

"Nothing," I said confused. "You're such a klutz." Brian said unlocking his car.

I shrugged.

I got in the car, happily.

The drive there wasn't quiet. Brian and Emily continuously made fun of me.

"You should've grown up with her. She does that all the time," Emily said chuckling. "It would've been fun," Brian said shrugging.

"She got it from our mom. Emma's exactly like our mom, in looks and her personality." Emily said. I froze.

I didn't like talking about my mom.

"Well, I bet your mom was a great woman then," Brian said smiling. "Is," I said.

"Huh," Brian said. "She is a great woman," I said smiling at him.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, Emma." Emily said. "No, it's okay." I whispered to her.

That's when the ride got quiet. I had to ruin the fun yet again.

We got to Matt's house, where the practice was. We all got out of the car. The garage was open, and I could see all the guys setting up.

"Finally, Brian!" I heard Johnny yell. I could see Emily squirming with delight.

"Shut up, Johnny." Brian yelled back.

I laughed as I saw Johnny carrying a bass. It looked so big on him, being so tiny.

I ran over to the guys. I walked over to Johnny.

"Awww... Johnny, you look adorable." I said teasing. "I look bad ass," he corrected me.

"Oh Johnny, you look so bad ass," I said winking. "I know," he said smirking.

I sat down on a couch that was randomly against the wall. I could see Brian grab a guitar, and he put it on himself.

Emily slowly walked in.

"Hi," she said timidly. I got up, and I walked over to her.

"Guys, this is my sister, Emily." I said smiling.

The guys all looked at her.

"Hey, Emily. The name's Matt," Matt said smiling at her. "Jimmy," Jimmy said waving frantically, which made Emily smile. "Zacky." "And I'm Johnny," Johnny said waving.

I could see Emily blush.

"Hold that in or he might see," I whispered.

She just nodded. I took her over to the couch, where we just plopped down. We watched as the guys made some last minute changes.

"So this one is Second Heartbeat," Matt said. "Oooh," I said.

Brian started the song off with his guitar. Jimmy soon entered with him, and I started to bob my head. Zacky soon entered as well. He was already in his own zone. He was playing as if he was in his own world.

I hear Matt's voice enter, but my eyes refused to look away from Zacky. I saw him walk over to Brian. They stood next to each, playing their hearts out.

I felt my heart flutter. These guys were really good. I didn't notice how fast the time went, and soon the song was long over. The guys were just staring at Emily and me.

"What'd you guys think?" Matt asked.

Before I could get anything out, Emily was already talking.

"You guys are unbelievable," she said happily. "Remarkable," I whispered.

"Really?" I heard Brian asked.

I nodded.

"By far, the best band ever created," I said smiling. Brian's grin grew wider.

"Oh, my favorite part was the sexy guitarist." I said teasing. "Really now?" Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

"No, I'm just joking. Jimmy looked super hot, while banging those drums." I said.

Brian gave me a scared face.

"You've gotta be shitting me," Brian said. "Eh, I wasn't checking anyone out." I said shrugging.

"Johnny, you looked incredible." Emily said. "Thanks," Johnny said smiling.

I jabbed Emily with my elbow lightly.

"More songs!" I yelled.

The guys just smiled at us. They played the rest of their songs for us, which were all great. I found myself staring at Zacky, though.

Why were my eyes always drawn to him?

He wasn't the lead guitarist. He didn't play solos like Brian always was. He was barely singing any back-up. So why were my eyes always glued to him?

I felt someone tugging at my shirt.

"That was great," Emily said smiling. "I know," I said nodding.

Brian jumped on the couch with us.

"Eww.." I said trying to get away from him. "What?" He asked. "You're all sweaty," I said getting off the couch.

Brian got off of us, and he looked a little sad. I went over to him and gave him a big hug.

"I'm sorry," I said. "No, I'm sweaty." He said teasing. "I like my guys sweaty," I said winking.

"Good, cause I'm sweaty as hell." Brian said tackling me with a hug.

I heard Emily's laugh.

I looked over to see her chatting away with Johnny. I smiled.

"Aren't they adorable?" I whispered to Brian.

Brian just shrugged.

"There's no way she'd ever be interested in that short shit, though." Brian said. "Oh, really?" I asked raising my eyebrow. "No way," he said a smile forming on his lips.

"Oh, yes." I said jabbing his arm with my finger. "But he's a freshman, she's a senior." Brian said.

"So? Age makes no difference." I said looking at them.

Emily was hitting Johnny playfully. I smiled.

Emily was always bad in picking her boyfriends, but I think this time she chose right. Johnny was younger than us, and he was an immature little brat, but he was a good guy overall.

I looked over to Brian, who was just staring out into space.

"Brian, let's start over again." Matt said.

Brian was still spaced out. I shook his arm.

"Huh?" He asked. "They want to practice more," I said pointing over to the guys. "Oh," he said.

The guys stood there, waiting for Brian to move. He didn't. He continued to stare over at the guys' way.

"Emma, I gotta talk to you." He said grabbing my arm.

He didn't look at my face. He was still looking at the guys as he led me outside.

"What's up, Brian?" I asked.

I was getting a little worried.

"Nothing, I feel like I gotta tell you something." He said. He looked a little nervous.

"What is it?" I asked touching his arm. "I don't like you," he said quickly.

"So?" I asked. "You don't like me?" He asked. "No," I said slowly.

"Oh, thank God!" He said sighing. "Wow, you are so full of yourself." I whispered. "No, it's just that I thought you were hitting on me." He said scratching his head.

"Nope, you're just my best buddy, Brian." I said smiling. "Good, I didn't want anything to get awkward around us," he said smiling.

"I know, Emily thought I liked you too." I said. "So friends?" He said. "Of course, the bestest." I said hugging him.

"Emma?" He asked breaking from the hug. "What is it now?" I asked.

I wasn't really in the mood for him to suddenly tell me that he wasn't in love with me or something. I think his anti-confession was good enough.

"I think I should tell you something else," he said. "What?" I asked.

"I think Zacky likes you," he said.

I started to laugh almost immediately. Brian just stood there, watching me almost die from laughter.

After a while, I finally caught my breath.

"Good one, Brian." I said sighing. "No, I'm serious." He said.

"Do you see how he treats me? He's totally ignoring me right now." I said. "I see how he treats you. He treats you like he treats no other girl. He treats you better than he treats me." Brian said.

I shook my head.

"He doesn't like me. No one does," I said. "You're a very pretty girl. I'm sure there's tons of guys who would kill to have you wave at them." Brian said rubbing my arm.

I shook my head.

"I've never met those guys," I said laughing a little. "Well, fuck them. Look at Zacky. He's a great guy, and I'm positive he likes you." Brian said smiling.

"He doesn't," I repeated. "I bet you he does," Brian said smirking.

"Do I hear a bet?" I asked smiling.

He nodded.

"If I win, you have to kiss Zacky." Brian said. "What do you gain in me kissing Zacky?" I asked.

"Nothing, but then maybe he'll have a chance to get laid, and he'll have me to thank." Brian said smirking.

I punched his arm.

"I'm not sleeping with him," I muttered.

"If I lose, which won't happen, what do you get?" Brian asked raising an eyebrow. "You have to teach me to play the guitar." I said smiling.

"Well, you could get that without the bet. Give me something better," he said smirking.

I had to think about it for a while as a great popped up. As soon as I told him, his face turned sour.

"God, I hope I don't lose." He said shaking my hand.

"I hope I win. My win is going to be much better," I said smiling. "And will you admit that you like Zacky?" Brian asked.

I scrunched my face up.

"I do not like him." I said. "Yes, you do. You could hardly take your eyes off of him today, let alone any other day." Brian said.

There was a twinkle in his eyes that I didn't like. I chose to ignore him and his comments about me liking Zacky.

How idiotic of Brian.

"Wait, so how are we gonna find out if Zacky likes me?" I asked.

Brian tilted his head.

"Easy," he said smirking. "I don't like that look, Brian. Tell me the idea," I said smiling.

"Go out with me," he said. "What?! No way," I said raising my arms up.

"No, we pretend to. You'll see how jealous he gets, and then I win." Brian said. "Deal," I said smiling.

We walked back into the garage to see the guys looking very impatient. Well, almost all of them. Johnny was too busy with Emily to notice we even walked back into the room.

"Guys, Emma and I have something to annouce." Brian said happily.

He put his arm around my waist, as I looked up at him. I was hoping this plan was going to work.

I didn't like Zacky or anything, I just wanted to prove Brian wrong.

The plan was just about to start. I looked over to Zacky, who was just strumming away on his guitar, which wasn't hook up.

"Emma and I have decided to go out with each other." Brian said smiling. I saw all of the guys' faces drop, like they didn't want this to happen.

Matt was the first one to talk.

"Congrats," he said. I could hear it in his voice that he didn't really mean it. Jimmy was just playing with his drums, as if to distract himself away from us.

"Good job, guys." Johnny almost whispered.

Johnny wasn't looking happy either. He just continued to look at the ground.

I looked over to Zacky, who stopped strumming his guitar. His face was completely blank.

I actually liked the fact that the guys didn't want me and Brian to be together. I didn't even want us to be together.

"Well, let's practice." Brian said happily. Emily walked over to me. "I thought you didn't like him," she whispered harshly. "I'll explain later," I whispered back.

Emily and I just sat down on the couch, watching the guys play the first song over again. We clapped loudly. Emily decided to scream, which hurt my ears like hell.

That's when I realized something.

"What time is it?" I asked quickly. "Around seven," Matt answered. "Shit," I said. "We gotta go," Emily said.

We both started to rush out of the garage.

"Wait!" Brian yelled.

Emily and I stopped dead in our tracks.

"What?" I asked almost irritated.

We needed to be home now.

"I want my good-bye kiss," he said smiling.

Was he really serious? I know we needed to be convincing, but this was a little too much for me.

"Of course," I answered, trying to be as calm as possible.

He wrapped his arms around my waist, and he pulled me close to him. We stared into each other's eyes, before he kissed me.

It wasn't a good kiss at all. I felt like I was kissing someone related to me. I felt nothing at all. We broke away from each other, and Emily and I ran.

We finally reached home, but I knew what was about to come.

"Why are you guys just coming home?" My dad's voice rang out. "I was at a friend's house. I dragged Emily with me," I said quickly.

Emily quickly looked my way.

"No," she mouthed.

I shook my head.

"I wouldn't let her go home, even though she told me what time it was." I said.

"Emily, go to your room. I need to talk to your sister," my dad said.

Emily shook her head at me.

"Go," I whispered.

Emily walked up to stairs, looking at me the whole time.

"Come over here, Emma." My dad said.

I didn't want this to happen.

Not again, not ever. I felt my legs move on their own. I didn't like this, but I had to make sure Emily was going to be okay. I never wanted her to feel like this ever again.