Dear Frankie, Join Me in This Love You Call Hate

Ninteen

***

"I said run Iero! Not walk" Miss Trimnal bellowed across the field as my little legs hobbled me around the circuit. Everyone else had already done their 5 laps, whereas I was only on my third and about to drop dead. The flimpsy material of the shorts were horribly scratching at my thighs and my white polo shirt was seemingly wet as today, for the first time in a long time, the sun had decided to appear out of no where. Right on the day I have PE.

"I am running, just at a slow pace" I mumbled back and didn't pick up my pace at all. Ahead of me, I could see Mikey bent over with his hands on his knees as he crossed the finish mark. I squinted my eyes at him enviously and decided to just give up as soon as I had caught up with him. "How do you do it?" I puffed, desperatly weezing in air.

Mikey looks strangley across at me and just shrugged his shoulders. "I have been here a lot longer than you have Frank" He smiled and chucked me a bottle of water. I gratefully caught it and swigged it back. I felt wierd right now, sweaty and hot yet the cold air stung my skin making me feel like I was a walking headache. Only it was all over the body, so I guess I'm just a walking ache. I don't know, I ache anyway.

"Nice runnin' there Frank" A body whipped past me so quickly I could only make out a white blur. I focused my eyes on the figure and soon found it was Gerard, arms neatly pacing him as he sprints down the track. I exhaled a blow of air and watched him as he speedily ran on, I assumed he was on his 100th lap by now as he hadn't stopped running since we started this goddam race.

"Nice runnin' Frank" I mimicked in a high tone which only earned a few odd glances from a bundle of girls beside me. I shot them a glare and just continued watching Gerard sprint faster and faster. Why was he so good at running? Why couldn't that be my strength in subject?

Mikey's hand landed on my shoulder and he just gave it a pat. "Don't worry Frank, you wouldn't want to be a sports freak like my brother. You only end up stinking for about a week on end and you have those huge bulgy things on your arms" He muttered.

"Muscles?"

"Yeah that's it" He coughed and left my side to join Ray and Hazel who had just come across the line themselves. I rolled my eyes and laughed inwardly at Mikey's comment; I suppose he couldn't help it if he was the skinnier sibling. My eyes wandered down to my feet where a dirty pair of sneakers occupy them, all dusted up and torn from previous running events.

"You only did 3 laps" A weezy voice muttered into my ear. A hand gripped firmly around my wrist and the next thing I know, I'm being launched forward almot head first into the track. Luckily, I kept my footing and just trot stupidly beside Gerard. "Cheat" He added as he now skillfully runs backward so he can look at me. I stuck my tongue out at him and roll my eyes, he's such an annoyance.

"Why are you holding my hand and pulling me along this track?" I asked while trying to hold him back. "Stop pulling me" I groaned as his grip tightened around my arm; I could feel the blood pulsing in my fingers.

"Because you have to do 5 laps Frank, it's the rules. I don't settles for cheaters" He grinned and gave a sharp tug on my arm. I growled at him and stopped dead in my tracks, almost tripping on a stone but keeping my balance. Wow, didn't turn out so bad, no scratches, no bruises and I'm still standing. Then I look down to my feet where Gerard lay, face down in the dirt.

"Oh my g-" His forefinger snapped into the air above his head and I immediatly stopped talking. A huge grin spread on my cheeks when I notice a few people staring over at us, well at Gerard as he tried lifting himself from the ground. "I'm sorry" I whispered and fisted for the back of his shirt and pulled him up onto his feet again. He shrugged my helping hand away and brushed the dry dirt from his white shirt.

"What're you? A walking idiot?" He spat and narrowed his eyes at me. I stuck my bottom lip out and chuckled a little.

"No" I shook my head. "I'm just clumsy" Gerard growled at me and headed back toward the start line, obviously giving up on his marathon for the day. I hung my head and laughed into the palm of my hand as I just scuffed my feet lazily behind him. Secretly, that was the funniedt thing I had ever done, causing humiliation to Gerard. On the other hand, for a brief miniscule second I just wanted to apologise over and over again and cradle him in my arms and kiss his grazes away. But I didn't want to humiliate myself, of course.

***

"You tripped him up!?" Fran asked, her eyes stretching larger than large. I giggled and finished off my apple, chucking it against the tree.

"It was an accident" I mumbled and flicked my fringe away from my eyes. Her eyes sparkled as she laughed back at me before rolling them and shaking her head.

"What're you like" She uttered under her breath.

"Clumsy" I protested and threw a piece of bark over at her. This lunch time, Fran and I agreed to meet up under the tree away from everything. Mikey, Bob, Ray and Hazel were inside keeping warm like sensible people should do. God knows where Gerard is.

Pulling the sleeves of my coat further down my arms I snuggled deep inside it to keep warm. Fran didn't appear fazed by the cold as she sat there with a thin jacket hanging lossely from her frame. Her hair was up today and the odd strand was whispering around her cheeks, she looked pretty.

"Stupid" She giggled and flicked a stick back in my direction. I fained a shocked expression and allowed my jaw to drop further than necessary, you could say I was mocking the bitch pissed off look. She rose one of her dainty eyebrows and chuckled at me, shuffling about on the mossy earth so she was sat nearer me. Automatically, I reached out and grabbed her, pulling her against me. Her back fell against my leg and immediatly she started shrieking when my fingers came into contact with her stomach. As I was tickling her she grew louder and louder but I just laughed at her more.

"Rape!" She screeched while spluttering all over the place. I grinned and let her go just enough so she could sit up. Strangly, she didn't move away from me; instead she leant against my side. I didn't know what to do in a moment like this, so I just let my hands hang limply beside her. The smell of her hair was overpowering, like a special brand of shampoo, I could feel it too: it was soft and sikly against my neck.

"Like I would rape you" I sighed and shook my head. Her fingers came up and traced the outline of my jaw.

"Oh you would Frankie...you would" She whispered. I smiled and instinctly placed my hand over hers.