Those Things Beautiful.

PROLOGUE

Sometimes, people would tell me that I didn’t fit in, that I looked different from everyone else. In fact, people made a habit of letting me know this nearly every single day, as if I didn’t understand their meaning the first time they’d said it. I wasn’t stupid; I may not have been the brightest girl around, but I understood them. And it bothered me a little, to tell you the truth.

It didn’t bother me because they were right, because I couldn’t have cared less about my appearance. I didn’t care if people thought that I was different, or that I didn’t fit in, or that I wasn’t like them. I liked who I was. I liked being myself without having to change. What did bother me, however, was the fact that they continued telling me. They just kept going on and on, and I was so tired of hearing it. They felt like they had to keep telling me over and over until I got it ingrained into my brain, until it wouldn’t leave.

Maybe they didn’t like the fact that I didn’t fit the mold. Maybe they didn’t like that I was different, or that I refused to change myself in the process of growing up. Something must not have set right with them when they never realized I would do what they wanted, to become something else completely other than the reality of who I was. Those people might have been bothered that I wasn’t like my friends, that I didn’t look the same as them. I didn’t even really act the same as them, to tell you the truth. Anyway, I’m sure that must have been the case. Why else would the keep telling me? Why else would they not let it go?

When people regret to understand the meaning of “no,” it truly bothers me. I’d never consider doing anything different than what I’d grown up in, and I’d never change for them.

My friends didn’t seem to mind, so why should I? And why would they?

Nothing made sense when I was a teenager. Nothing made sense but the simple things that didn’t even need an explanation. Things that some people tried to put their fingers on but, just when they think they’ve figured it out, it falls to pieces. And that is when it dawns on them that the reasoning behind it is so simple it’s almost embarrassing.

I have never made myself out to be anything other than what I am, what I always have been. I am true to myself.

And they refuse to understand.
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm reposting this because... well, i've gotten back into writing it. it's just that simple. and, i've come to find that this story is really close to my heart because a lot of me is in it. and that's what i really love about it.

i apologize to those still subscribed because you'll probably receive a lot of spammy e-mail (that's just me re-posting the chapters, sorry!) and i'll post a new chapter after i'm done re-posting all of the old ones.

it takes a while to get rolling, but the chapters aren't long at all. don't get discouraged just because zacky isn't in it right from the get-go. just be patient, because that's how it is in real life too. and besides, the early ones are quirky and funny (to me, at least) and equally as enjoyable.

so please, subscribe if you're a new reader and you like it, but please don't lose faith in this. i know that i haven't.