Such a Beautiful Color

The End

My trembling hand framed the cold skin of his cheek as he lay so peacefully before me. Sound surrounded me dancing in my ears but going unheard as memories flashed through my mind. His eyes were closed and no matter how much I willed them to I knew they would never again open. Nothing I could do would change what had happened, my tears would only stain the fabric of not only mine but others clothes, my pitiful sobs would only bring sorrow to others so what was this for? I had no idea. I moved my now visibly shaking hand to his hands that were so deathly pale. I wanted to laugh, deathly pale, how ironic for mind to label those words to the sight before me when I wanted it to be just a nightmare.

I pulled away a sob rocking my body, the air seizing up in my chest. A fellow mourner- who, I didn't care to know- wrapped their arms around me in attempt to calm me. For a minute I hugged back the effort lacking meaning on my part before putting on a plastic Barbie doll smile that couldn't fool the doll I stole it from and assured them I was okay. I weaved my way between the people that crowded the halls snatching a look back at the young man that lay in the casket, that goofy smile so full of life now a fake rendition on his unmoving face.

I walked outside the normally cold weather licking at my skin, the snow wetting my thin shoes. My body should have shivered but it didn't, my mind couldn't function not with the excruciating pain overwhelming it. Tears poured from my eyes, their salty taste drying out my lips even more. I slunk to the snow coated ground of the side of the funeral home ignoring the prickling pain that invaded my senses temporarily as the frozen water bit at my legs through the black fabric that covered them.

Why did it have to be the man I loved sitting in there dead as a doornail, heh there it was again stupid mind, the man that was so kind to everyone no matter what they did or who they were. Why hadn't I told him that I was so in love with him that I would die for him if he just said the word, meaning it or not? Why didn't I speak to him the day he died? God damn it, why just why? I slammed my hand to the snow covered concrete, the skin reddening not only from the impact but from the cold.

Looking up a busy street came into view, why did it have to look so appealing? The sight of cars going so fast that any weak being unlucky or lucky enough to be hit by one would be splattered on the beautiful black top underneath, the being's body so mangled that it would be beyond recognition. My feet carried my body away from the funeral home and up the white hill that used to be so vibrant and colorful, just like the skin of a loved one that lay in a casket. I allowed myself one more look down to where anyone who mattered to me was now converged, they all sat together behind those menacing brick walls. With one unregretful movement I positioned myself in front of the same force that took the only one who kept me alive. I closed my eyes slowly, headlights turning the skin red before the sound of screeching metal reached my ears, the last thing I would hear. A lonesome tear slid down my cheek as everything went black.

Such a beautiful color.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed!