Sequel: Hollywood ***

Looking For a Lifeline

It All Started With a Purple Crayon

Kindergarten.

That’s where it all started for Brian Elwin Haner Jr. and Melody River Romanov. Those days of naptime and eating play-dough were the start of a friendship that lasted for so long. This is where they met and how it all began.


It was the first day of school and a little boy, around six years old, sat next to a girl. He had short black hair and brown eyes and she had blonde hair that was tied into two little braids and big blue eyes. She was coloring a picture of a farm, completely consumed with staying in the lines. Even then, she was such a perfectionist.

He remembered seeing her, sitting on the swings as his parents fussed about him. His parents made sure he was settled in and okay with leaving him here in the classroom. They wanted to make sure that everything was okay with their son before they left.

Not the girl’s parents. They just dropped her off and left her. He watched as she just shrugged and sat on the swings. Unlike him, her parents didn’t fuss over him. They didn’t even say a single word to her. She just got out of the car and they just left.

He wondered if her parents were always like that.

“Can I borrow your purple crayon,” the boy asked.

The little girl looked at him and nodded, handing over the purple crayon that she didn’t even bother to use. She was busy using the red crayon, making sure the barn was red where it was supposed to be red. Everything had to be realistic to the girl.

After a few minutes of silence between the two, the boy looked at the girl and said, “I’m Brian.”

Again, she looked at him but this time, she titled her head to the side. One of her little braids slipped passed her shoulder. “I’m Melody,” she said back.

Brian scrunched up his face and retorted, “That’s a funny name.”

“Well, Brian’s a funny name,” Melody snorted back.

The two of them returned to their coloring, not really sure what to say. Brian was in shock that a girl said that to him. Melody thought he was strange. She pushed the box of crayons towards him, silently indicating that it was okay to use the other crayons.

Brian sighed as he looked at her again. “Do you want to be friends?”

Melody looked at him and raised an eyebrow but then she smiled, “Okay.”

That’s how Melody River Romanov and Brian Elwin Haner Jr. met. It all started with a purple crayon and the two became friends.

Funny how that works.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ha ha ha. They're so cute. So now we know how they met. Anyway, this story will be a SLOW update just because Hollywood Whore is still active. Oh, if you're a new reader, I suggest you read Hollywood Whore first.