What's The Name Of The Game

A Sweet Kind Of Awkwardness

Once they got back to camp, Jon’s dad started the fire before taking his sons fishing. Andree and Tianna stayed back and set everything else up, and got to know each other better over the next few hours.

Tianna found Andree very useful when it came to embarrassing stories about Jon.

“He did what??” Tianna laughed after hearing another story.

“You heard me,” Andree chuckled. “It was like that for days.” The two women laughed heartily as the men came back with their haul of fish.

“What’s so funny?” Jonathan asked, setting his things down. Tianna and Andree both turned to him and busted out laughing. Jon looked at them confused.

“Were you able to keep hold of the fishing pole?” Tianna smirked.

“Yes…” Jon answered, not understanding the implications of her question.

“Just wondering…I know you had problems with your hockey stick when you were younger,” she smiled. Jon’s face suddenly flushed and he looked at his mother accusingly.

“Mooooooom! You told her about that?” He whined.

“Told her about what?” Jon’s dad asked, joining the conversation.

“Remember when Jonny was young and he superglued his hands to his hockey stick so it wouldn’t slip?” She reminisced. Jon threw his hands up in frustration, embarrassed that his mom just said it out loud again. He stalked off into the woods and Tianna followed him.

“Hey,” she called, grabbing his arm. He stopped and turned towards her, and realized they had gotten a good distance away from camp. She stood in front of him and grabbed his hands, squeezing them reassuringly.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to embarrass you,” Tianna apologized sincerely. “I was just teasing.”

“I was five,” he stated, trying to alleviate some of his embarrassment. “I couldn’t hold on to the stick. I didn’t know what I was doing.”

“Jon,” Tianna smiled. “I get it. You take things too seriously. You need to lighten up.” She hadn’t meant to sound mean, and in reality she had a sweet tone. That didn’t stop Jon from glaring at her and pulling away swiftly. He walked back toward camp, and Tianna trailed quietly behind him.

Suddenly she realized she didn’t want to put up with Jon’s attitude, so she veered off toward the lake. Half way there, David was approaching her.

“I had to go back to the lake for something…where are you going?” He said.

“The lake,” she smiled. “To do some thinking.” He nodded and went back to camp, leaving her alone. She found a large rock to sit on, overlooking the lake. The sun was just setting, so she watched it contentedly.

The stars had been shining for over half an hour before someone came and got her.

“Tia...er, Tianna?” Jon called, behind her. She craned her neck and smiled at him. “Dinner’s ready.”

“Okay,” she nodded, turning back towards the lake and bringing her knees closer to her chest.

“Aren’t you coming?”

“No, I’d rather not be around you while you’re being an asshole,” she stated simply. Jon glared at the back of her head, but he couldn’t stop the grin that was spreading across his face.

The old Tianna was resurfacing.

Jon walked over to Tianna and sat down next to her, earning him an odd glance from her.

“Can I tell you something kind of weird?” He asked. Tianna nodded.

“I’m glad the old you is coming back,” he said, looking out onto the icy lake. “It means you aren’t as sad anymore.”

“Maybe I am still sad,” she shrugged. “Maybe I just got better at hiding it.” It was her turn to look away as Jon turned to her.

“You’re still sad?”

“Why wouldn’t I be?” She inquired, looking him in the eyes.

“Do…do you…you know, want to talk about it?” He offered, wincing slightly.

“Yeah, you seem real interested,” she remarked, standing up. “Please don’t pretend to care.” She started walking away, but Jon stood up swiftly and caught her.

“I do care,” he defended.

“Why?”

“Wh…what?” He asked, caught off guard.

“Why do you care? What am I to you?” She reiterated. The look in her eyes was pleading; begging him to tell her what she wanted to hear.

“You’re…my friend, I guess,” he shrugged.

“Okay,” she bit her lip and nodded, pulling away, but he just pulled her back into him. And this time, they were much closer to one another.

“Not that I don’t want more,” he confessed. Her eyes snapped up, wide.

He started leaning down, and Tianna could feel his hot breath on her cool cheek. Their lips brushed for a fraction of a second before-

“JONNY! DINNER!” David yelled from deeper in the woods. Jon groaned and pulled away, looking up at the sky. Without looking at Tianna he grabbed her hand and led her back to camp, where his family was situated around the fire. Jon punched David on the shoulder without explanation, but the sly smirk on his younger brother's face told Jon that David knew why he got it. Jon and Tianna then sat next to each other by the fire, eating dinner.

When it was done, Andree brought out blankets for everyone to wrap themselves up in while they made s’mores. She purposefully only gave Jon and Tianna one blanket, forcing them so share. Jon moved off the log he was sitting on and sat on the ground, so that now his back could lean against the log. He stretched his legs out and pulled Tianna down in-between them so her back was pressed to his front.

He wrapped the blanket around the two of them, and they became pleasantly warmed by the fire as well as each other and the blanket. Without thinking he placed a quick kiss on her neck, causing both of them to freeze.

He pulled his head away slowly, almost cursing himself. It’s not like he wanted to take it back, he wanted more, which was the problem at the moment. He glanced around at his parents and David, who weren’t paying the slightest bit of attention. He leaned back, relieved, and also to give Tianna some space.

Tianna didn’t want space though, she wanted to be closer to Jon, especially after his little kiss. She remained sitting forward though, afraid that he had regretted it and didn’t want to even be near her right now.

Finally, unable to take the distance anymore, Jon pulled Tianna back to lean against him, and then wrapped both his arms around her midsection. When he felt her relax against him, he kissed her temple. Tianna smiled to herself, placing her arms over his.

They all roasted marshmallows and ate s’mores for a while, and then they all played little games and just had a fun time. Tianna had buried her face into the crook of Jon’s neck, and fell asleep soon after.

“You should get her in the tent,” Bryan, Jon’s dad stated. To be helpful, David set Jon’s tent up with some sleeping bags and electric blankets, so all Jon would have to do was go lay her down. Jon picked Tianna up bridal style and said goodnight to everyone, before heading into his tent. All the tents were placed fairly far apart from each other, so that no one else would be disturbed if someone got up early or anything.

Jon laid her down and got her settled before zipping the flap up behind him. It was pretty dark, and he could barely see, but the fire illuminated through the tent well enough for him to settle down as well.

He threw an arm over her and pulled her in, making sure she was warm enough and everything. She turned over in her sleep, so now she was facing him. Her head was on his chest, and her arm was thrown over his chest so her hand rested on his far shoulder. Jon let his hand trail up and down her back, studying her face in the moon light.

Jon had been kidding himself before, when he said he didn’t know if he liked her. He did like her.

A lot.

The next day was awkward between Jon and Tianna, but it was a sweet kind of awkwardness. They would catch each other stealing glances at one another, and look away quickly, blushing. Neither of them would act on their feelings though, because at least one member of Jon’s family was always around.

Jon made up for it in other ways though, slyly placing his hand low on her back or standing closer than necessary and acting like he wasn’t doing it to drive her wild.

Tianna got back at him though, brushing up against him or doing other teasing things with her body, like bending over right in front of him to pick up garbage and then slowly standing straight again.

They both made sure to do these things when Jon’s family wasn’t paying attention, so their actions could go unnoticed. They knew his family wouldn’t care, but they did know they’d get teased incessantly.

Eventually Jon managed to sneak Tianna away on a hike, just the two of them. They walked hand in hand on the trail in a comfortable silence. After a while they made it to a clearing, and Tianna knew it would be beautiful in the Spring. But even right now, although everything was frigid and frozen, it was still beautiful in a way. It all looked so sparkly and pristine.

Suddenly Tianna felt something hit her back, and she turned around, seeing Jonathan with an innocent look on his face. His hands were behind his back, making Tianna suspicious.

“What are you-”

Jon cut Tianna off, throwing another snowball at her. She stood there shocked for a second, before getting a devious smirk on her face. She grabbed a handful of snow, packing it quickly before tossing it at Jon and hitting him square in the chest.

Jon should have remembered, she was that kind of girl. The kind that could actually hold her own against him when it came to sports. They both hid behind different trees, making their own batch of snowballs. Tianna was thankful she had decided to wear her gloves. She gathered her snowballs in her arms and started running towards where Jon was, and he emerged seconds later, coming toward her.

They both threw snowballs until neither of them had any left, which is when Jonathan tackled Tianna into the snow.

She screeched, feeling snow get down her shirt. She clung to Jon, who was lying on top of her, and tried getting herself as far away from the snow as possible. Jon’s brawny form didn’t let her get very far, however. Jon took advantage of their alone time as well as her closeness, and leaned closer to her.

He stopped right before their lips met, looking into her eyes for permission. He saw her smile, and that was all the approval he needed. He closed the gap between them, kissing her gently.

As the kiss got more passionate, Tianna was thankful for the snow getting down her shirt, because it was cooling off her now heated form. Jon slipped his tongue into Tianna’s mouth, without protest from her. After a few moments, he pulled away so they could catch their breath. He rested his forehead on hers and he let out a breathy “Wow.”

She leaned up again, kissing his lips lightly.

“Tia,” he sighed contentedly. He tensed up suddenly, remembering he wasn’t supposed to call her that. “Sorry, I keep forgetting-”

Tianna cut him off, once again kissing him on lips.

“It’s okay. You’re the only person besides my dad that makes it sound right,” she acknowledged. He smiled brightly at that, kissing her hard on the mouth, catching her off guard.

Not that she was complaining.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments appreciated =)