What's The Name Of The Game

Men Are Idiots

When Jonathan and Tianna returned to camp, Jon’s family looked at them suspiciously. They could tell things had changed between the young captain and his friend, and for the better. Jon and Tianna just acted like nothing was different, but everyone could feel the shift in the mood.

The rest of the day passed much like the day before, and everyone just enjoyed each other’s company. For Jon, the day was passing agonizingly slow, because all he wanted was to be alone with Tianna again. He would make up excuses as to why he and Tianna needed to hit the tents early, but Tianna wasn’t having any of that. She knew what he was trying to do, so she would purposefully shoot down all Jon’s attempts.

At first, Jon just thought she was oblivious to his advances, but then she started smirking at him after a while and everything clicked for him. She was teasing him. Jon cooled it for a while, not wanting to make his family any more suspicious than they already were.

It’s not that Tianna didn’t want to be alone with Jon, because she did. But she also liked to have a little fun, and teasing Jonathan Toews was definitely fun. Spending time alone with Jon was quite tempting, but she didn’t stall solely to tease him. She was also slightly nervous, because she didn’t know what to expect with him.

Well, she knew what Jon was expecting right now, but she was talking long term.

She had somehow managed to stall until Jon’s family decided to go to sleep, and she was quite proud of herself for that. The minute the other tents were zipped up, Jon grabbed Tianna’s hand and led her over to their tent.

As soon as they were both inside and Jon zipped up the door, he pulled Tianna toward him and crashed his lips to hers.

“You’re evil,” he mumbled into the kiss, causing her to smile. He pulled away and they both quickly got ready for sleep. Once they were both under the covers, Jon rolled on top of Tianna and kissed her.

Tianna wondered why she had been so concerned with it being December before. Thank God it was December, or else she’d die of heat stroke.

Jon sucked on her neck, causing her to emit a moan. Suddenly her eyes flew open and she pushed him.

“Jon!” She scolded, whispering.

“What?” He asked, pulling away with a smirk.

“Stop,” she giggled, trying to push him away again. He wouldn’t budge.

“Why??”

“Your family is right out there!” She reminded.

“They can’t hear us,” he responded, kissing her neck again.

“Yes they can,” she argued, half-heartedly. Part of her didn’t want him to stop either.

“No…not if you keep quiet,” he teasingly pointed out, nipping at her collarbone.

“Jon!” She tried again. But, it ended up coming out as a moan and just encouraged him more. His lips found hers once more as he slipped his hand up her shirt. She jumped from the coolness of his hand, but welcomed it as well.

As soon as he felt her skin under his fingers, Jon knew she was it. There could never be anyone else but Tianna. He knew he sounded stupid, and that he had only known her for a ridiculously short time.

But it didn’t matter. He wanted her.

And not just right here, right now, but forever.

And frankly, that scared the shit out of him.

He pulled away from her slowly, looking into her eyes. He saw she was scared too, but that somehow made him feel more comfortable. He laid back and pulled her with him, cradling her to his chest. He ran his fingers through her hair for awhile, and once he felt her steady breath indicate she was sleeping, he fell asleep as well.

The next morning, Christmas Eve, Tianna helped Jonathan and his family pack up the camp site. They ate a quick breakfast, but Andree promised to make a huge meal when they got home.

“So, how did you like camping in December?” David teased once they were on the road back home. Andree and Bryan were up front, David was in the middle row, and Jon and Tianna were in the back row of the large SUV.

“I loved it, you little smart-ass,” she replied, leaning forward to ruffle his hair. He just looked at her smugly and turned back around to face the front. Jon pulled Tianna to lean against him, and soon the quiet ride lulled them back to sleep.

Once they woke up, they were back at Jon’s house. Once everything had been unloaded, Jon, Tianna, and David all collapsed on the couch in the living room. David flipped on the TV, but Jon instructed him to get the videogames out.

While they were playing, Tianna went into the kitchen to help Andree. Jon’s mom had refused at first, but Tianna insisted. The two talked and laughed while they prepared some food, and Tianna was thankful she got to meet these people.

Tianna found herself becoming more and more attached not only to Andree, but the rest of Jon’s family as well. She also knew if she wanted to avoid being crushed, she should start to keep her distance.

“Are you alright, dear?” Andree asked, noticing Tianna’s sudden quietness.

“Um, yeah. I’m fine,” she lied. She excused herself and went into the backyard to get some fresh air.

When she got out there, however, she saw that it wasn’t really a yard. It was an expansive mass of land, equipped with a makeshift hockey rink. Tianna smirked at that, knowing it was probably Jon’s doing. That boy was obsessed with hockey.

She heard the backdoor open and close behind her, and she saw Jonathan.

“Are you okay? My mom said-”

“I’m fine,” she replied. He studied her for a moment, not believing her.

“Tell me,” he said, grabbing her arms and pulling her close. She shook her head, and then rested her forehead against Jon’s shoulder. “Tia,” he tried again.

“Your family’s so nice to me,” she murmured into Jon’s chest.

“Well yeah, what’d you expect?” He chuckled. She pulled away and looked up at him.

“What do you think I expected?” She remarked, referring to her own mother.

“My family’s not like that.”

“I know, obviously,” she said.

“Then what’s the problem?” Jon asked, beginning to get frustrated.

“Who said there was a problem?”

“Tianna, stop beating around the bush and just tell me what’s wrong,” he demanded pleadingly.

“I’m not used to this kind of treatment, that’s all,” Tianna explained. “Jon, you have to understand, my mom drilled into my head that I wasn’t worth anyone’s time since like, the day I was born. You can’t expect me to be comfortable when I’m just, welcomed with open arms to a new family.”

Jon pulled back slightly, confused.

“You don’t like my family treating you nicely?” He asked.

“No, Jon, that’s not it-”

“Then what? Please, explain, because I’m confused,” Jon said, pulling away from her completely. “You say you’re uncomfortable here? That you’re not used to being treated with kindness and respect?”

“I’m not used to having a family,” she confessed. “I don’t know how to deal with it.”

“How to deal with it?” Jon echoed, incredulously. “Well, don’t worry. I’ll make sure you don’t have to deal with them anymore.” He walked back inside, leaving Tianna in the backyard wishing she had chosen her words more carefully.

She walked back inside and went to the kitchen. Jon and his family were already in there, getting ready to eat. They all stared at her when she walked in, not saying a word.

“I’ll make you a plate,” Andree said, getting up. It wasn’t in the nice, sweet tone she was used to with Jon’s mom. It was almost a tired tone, one that Tianna was used to with her own mother.

“No, I’m not hungry,” she said out of habit. She walked out of the kitchen and to the bedroom, where she figured she’d be spending the rest of this Christmas vacation, alone.

She laid down on the bed with her feet dangling off, and suddenly her stomach rumbled. She was starving. She had said she wasn’t hungry because that’s what she always did when her mom made her feel like a hassle. It was instinct, really.

A knock on the door jolted her out of her thoughts. She got up and answered it, seeing Andree on the other side.

“Come down and eat, honey, I know you’re hungry,” she said, holding out her hand.

Tianna suddenly choked out a sob, surprising both of them. Tears sprang to her eyes and she started crying, and Andree pulled her in for a hug.

“I know, sweetheart. You don’t have to explain. We all understand. It’s okay,” she comforted. She wiped Tianna’s eyes, which were still red and puffy.

“I’m sorry,” Tianna apologized. “I should be thanking you for being so nice to me, not assuming that it’s all going to go away.”

“Go away?”

“I tried to be distant because I didn’t want to get too attached. But it doesn’t matter, I’m already attached,” Tianna chuckled.

“Sweetie, you have to realize, men are idiots. Emotional idiots. Jonathan never lets anyone explain the whole story, he just gets defensive right away. He and David both get that from their father,” Andree mused. “Jon told us what happened, and you walked in on the middle of our conversation, which is why it was a bit awkward.”

Tianna smiled and nodded.

“But we did finish talking, and I think we all get it. Jon’s quite proud though, so it might take him a wile to warm back up to you. But he understands. C’mon,” Andree smiled. “Let’s get you some food.”

Tianna couldn’t help but feel warm inside, and for the first time in a long time she felt truly accepted and wanted.