Bite Me

The Beginning

“Bev, I’m so glad we moved out here to Los Angeles. It’s so different from Clearwater, Florida, and it will be exciting to see you finally open up your own store. And here it is March already.” I said.

“Yes. I am so glad you decided to be my roommate in our sweet apartment. This place is so awesome. I can’t believe I get my degree and intern at Jackie’s designer fashion store in New York and then get to run her new store here in L.A. Me in charge!” she said.

“Oh customers beware.” I said laughing at her. I remember how it all started and why I wanted to move to L.A. It would be a new beginning for me and a chance to escape my past. Bev got her B.A. in fashion design and got a really good intern like job for Jackie Smith, a high profile fashion designer who owned several clothing stores. The one in L.A. was to be the biggest. She was chosen because of her hard work and dedication. We were best friends and had been since high school.

I wanted to get out of Fl. so bad. Everything reminded me of Nick, my first love. We dated in high school. He just disappeared and was never seen again. I was a senior in high school at the time of his disappearance. The cops said something about foul play being involved and it didn’t look good for they found blood on Nick’s car and behind the school gym in the woods where his jacket was found. It seemed like my life fell apart right after.

I was sent to an aunt’s house to live when I was six. My mom had died and she was her sister. I never really fit in at her place even though I was a good kid. All I can remember was overhearing my aunt say my mother died a tragic death. The family never told me why and it always bothered me. No one would talk about it I guess for upsetting me. And I never knew who my father was.

After high school I went to college and worked a part time job. Nothing stuck for me for I wasn’t focused enough and changed majors so much. I also became a hero in Clearwater my senior year of high school as well. I apparently saved almost all of the senior class from a gang that took over our senior prom. Nobody can remember all the details and I’m still a little fuzzy on it as well.

All I can remember after I danced a few dances was waking up in the hospital calling out Nick’s name. Bev and her mom were there and told me what happened as Bev could remember it. Apparently I tried to get everyone out of the ballroom. Not everyone made it out and I was hurt in the process. When the cops came in and found me, they rushed me to the hospital. Bev also reminded me that my love, Nick, was gone and I must have been dreaming of him.

When I turned eighteen I received a truck load of money that my mother had set up for me. Apparently she was rich or something. With all that money however, I chose to save it and continued to work my part time job for awhile. I also had another drawback in my life. After Nick, I tried to continue dating but I could never make a relationship work. I guess I compared all the guys I dated to Nick.

So when I got a call from Bev to come out to L.A. with her, I jumped at the chance. I’m twenty-five now and needed a new beginning in my life. Why not take a chance on something new. Little did I know life in L.A. was not going to be boring but my life was going to change.

“Hey, Amanda. I found this really cool club close to where the store is. I thought we could check it out. We can park in front of the store and walk to it. There is this little alleyway.” Bev said snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Um cool, but an alleyway? You hear a lot about things happening in them.” I responded.

“Oh don’t worry. Isn’t it safe if I have you around? I mean come on you took all those self defense classes and gymnastics yrs ago. And you saved our senior class. You can protect us.” She said laughing.

“I don’t remember saving the class though so no fair. But I guess. What should I wear and when are we going? Wait I know what I can wear.” I said.

“Well I start work Monday with the Grand Opening and all. How about tomorrow night which is Friday.” She said.

“Sounds great! You know I love to dance. Maybe we can find us some good looking guys.” I yelled out my bedroom.

“I hope they are tall, dark, and handsome.” She yelled back down the hall.

Maybe we can meet some new people I thought. Maybe L.A. wouldn’t be about fakes. I felt like I needed to protect Bev and if she did meet someone new I wanted to approve of the guy. The last guy she dated broke her heart in New York. Chad I think his name was. They were engaged for two years and then he comes out and tells her he cheated on her. What a jerk. So I think it’s nice to see her happy and have a new change in her life as well.