Bite Me

The Cover Up

“Pete, I don’t know who’s car this is out front but,” Patrick said pausing as he came in their home. “Hello, again Amanda.” He finished.

“And that’s how you do that move.” Pete said while quickly getting up with me.

“Hey check it out, Andy. Guess who decided to come back early.” Joe said bringing in supplies.

“What?” Andy said bringing in some new weapons and a bag full of comic books.

“Um guys, it’s not what you think it is.” Pete said putting his shirt back on.

“Oh really? Care to enlighten us, Pete.” Patrick said.

“Uh, I guess I should be leaving Pete.” I said starting to walk towards the door.

“Not yet.” Pete said gently grabbing my arm and pulling me back towards him.

“Ok. Not yet.” I said really not minding he had a hold of me. But I was a little uncomfortable having all the guys standing in front of me and Pete. Did Patrick see us almost kiss or did we get up in time? And was he really going to kiss me? Oh and they are so going to hate me when Pete tells them I sort of broke in.

“I called Amanda over a little after you guys left. I wanted to teach her some moves to protect herself.” He said looking over at me with a, you owe me look. “But I found that she didn’t need any. She’s actually pretty good. But I was hoping she could be trained on how to use some of the gadgets and weapons we use to kill the vampires.” Pete covered.

I can’t believe it. Why would he lie to them to cover for me? I was grateful but I didn’t want to start anything between the guys.

“Ooh I volunteer.” Andy said. “You know Patrick is the gadget and weapons expert, but I’m the trained weapons expert.” He said laughing. If you step over to my office,” he said pointing over to a spot by a punching bag, “I can show you many cool things we use to stab, capture, or kill vamps with.”

“That would be awesome. Also did I see you walk in with a bag full of comic books?” I asked Andy.

“Why yes I did. Do you like comics?” He said.

“I love them. I’m a big X-Men fan however.” I said.

“Andy you show her some weapons and I need to talk Pete.” Patrick said looking at Pete.

“Hey what am I, chopped liver?” Joe added.

“Oh you are just the computer whiz.” Pete replied laughing.

I watched Patrick pull Pete away again like he did early this morning. I just hope I’m not on Patrick’s bad side. I don’t know what that look was he gave Pete but it can’t be good. Maybe he did see us together. If that’s the case then I must stop having these feelings for Pete. We can only be friends. I mean he’s a vampire anyway and he has a job to do. I would only get in the way I thought.

(Pete's POV)
Well I’m busted now I thought. What could Patrick have to possibly say to me now? Did Amanda and I not get up in enough time? Did he see me almost kiss her? And what was I doing? I can’t kiss her. I barely know her and yet her eyes haunt me. She mesmerizes me. I can’t be angry long at her and I want to be with her more. Wait I can’t. What could I offer her? I’m a vampire now. It wouldn’t work. But she was right earlier. I am only isolating myself and living like vampires do.

“Hey earth to Pete.” Patrick said interrupting my thoughts.

“Oh yeah, I’m sorry. You wanted to talk to me?” I asked nervously.

“Ok I didn’t want to say anything in front of Andy or Joe because I know how they can act. I just wanted to tell you though that I saw you try to kiss Amanda. I want the truth Pete. What are you doing? What were you two doing?” Patrick asked concerned.

“Why do you always have to be the sensible one? Alright I spill. Seriously I called Amanda over here.” I said lying through my teeth and I never lie to Patrick. “And I did want her to learn some moves in case she needed to protect herself. But look at this.” I said lifting my shirt up and showing Patrick by bruise.

“She did that?” He asked.

“Yeah she knows how to fight. She told me she took gymnastics and some martial arts classes back when she was in high school. But I’m telling you Patrick she’s got something. I’m not sure what it is. Her strength is more powerful than mine. I saw her eyes when we were fighting and she had this fire to them like she knew what she was doing only she didn’t if that makes sense.” I finished.

“Wow Pete.” Patrick said.

“And that’s not all. Her bite mark is gone.” I said.

“What do you mean gone? We all saw it as we bandaged her.” Patrick said confused.

“I don’t know. It’s healed up. No scar.” I added.

“So let me get this straight. We know this much about Amanda. She has a bite mark not scar up, she’s stronger than you, and she can sense vampires around good or bad. Am I right?” Patrick asked.

“You have it down. And yes I will be careful before you give me the speech. I have to learn more about her. Patrick she doesn’t even know what she can do. I also left out she has been having dreams of her ex.” I said.

“Ha-ha, so. Many people dream of their ex I’m sure.” Patrick said laughing.

“No. I think her ex Nick is or was a vampire. She has been dreaming of him and she thought for awhile she saw him. She doesn’t know or realize it but I do. I think he haunts her dreams.” I said.

“So that Nick is the Nick she said in the car. But I don’t get it if he haunts her dreams is he bad? Patrick asked.

“I don’t know. But I want to say no. I think he has protected her somehow all these years and now he can’t. It’s a long story Patrick. One I will explain later ok but not right now. My goal is to kill that Mike vampire and be the one to protect Amanda.” I explained.

“Fine. Let me ask you this. With the kiss and all, I want the truth. Are you developing something for Amanda? I like her and personally I think having a girl around here can lighten up the place.” Patrick said.

“I think I am and therefore I’m afraid. It’s been awhile since my last relationship and you know how that went. Plus I am a vampire now. What can I offer her? All I can say is that she is starting to change me.” I said smiling remembering what she told me.

“Oh?” Patrick asked.

“She saw my um sleeping arrangements and well lets just say I got an earful and she was right, Patrick. I am living like the vampires I hate. It ends today.” I replied. Then I heard Amanda and Andy say, “Incoming! Look out!”