Bite Me

An Unexpected Surprise

The taxi dropped us off at the end of Fourth Street. The part of fourth we were on was in a bad part of town filled with gang members now I was told by the taxi driver who took off after we got out of the cab but that at the other end was the good part that held dance clubs, restaurants and such. Vampires I am sure lurked here besides gang members.
I saw the old movie theatre a block down from us. It had been closed after a few years after what happened to my mom. It has been here since the forties. It was so cool on the inside I recalled and was used for plays at one time besides movies.
Pete and I carefully walked down empty Fourth Street to The Palace theatre. I didn’t sense any vampires around but we noticed how abandoned this street was. Shops were boarded up and the street lights were dim. So much had changed since I was a kid. But every town has their good spots and bad spots.
I let go of Pete’s hand and stopped once we got to the theatre. I was standing at the spot I was when I was rescued. I looked at Pete.
“What? What is it?” Pete asked looking around.
“I was standing right here, Pete when everything happened. Me, Mom, and my rescuer had just walked out of the theatre and we were ambushed. I remember mom took out her stakes and told me she loved me. I wasn’t afraid. I was afraid for her. I wanted to help but I was scooped up and carried away. All I could see was her fighting and to scream for her.” I said slowly walking over to the spot I remembered her fighting and the spot I saw her body lay from the articles I found online.
I squatted down to the ground and touched it. Pete walked over to me and put his arms around my shoulders. Tears started to form.
Then, I quickly stood up. Someone was here. Pete pulled me behind him, fangs coming out.
“We can’t see you but we know you are there!” I yelled. That’s when we saw a figure emerge from the shadows.
“Pete, it is ok.” I said walking away from him.
“I don’t care.” He said following me on guard.
The figure was Chris. I remembered his name. He was a vampire like Pete and my rescuer.
“It’s not safe for you to be here.” Chris said approaching me.
“Chris, it was you. You rescued me from those monsters that killed my mom.” I said running to hug him.
I wrapped my arms around him tightly. Pete just stood there with a confused look on his face but ready to attack if need be. Then I stepped away waiting for an explanation.
“Amanda I am sorry you had to find out this way about your mom.” Chris said upset.
“Why? Why did you save me and not her too? You loved her. You were my mom’s boyfriend those articles talked about.” I said with more tears starting to form. I was angry, hurt, happy, and confused all rolled into one.
“Amanda it was important to protect you. I owed it to your mother to keep you safe. The vampire that killed her would have killed you too. It’s in your genes to be a slayer. We were hoping, meaning your mom and me, that it would skip you so that you could have a normal childhood.” Chris said.
“You call growing up the way I did normal? I was dumped off at a shelter with no memory of why I was there then shipped off to live with an aunt who didn’t really want to deal with me. No one would explain what happened to mom and I always felt fuzzy on things. You did it. You blocked it out so I would forget everything!” I said upset.
“You needed to be protected. A child your age should not have seen what you had seen.” Chris said explaining.
“I hate that word protected. Everyone uses it like I am this fragile thing. I don’t need protecting. I am a big girl now and can handle myself. I always have.” I said looking at Pete and then at Chris.
“Look, before I say anymore we need to move. It isn’t safe for you. He lurks and has spies. He will know you are here.” Chris said worried.
“I am not leaving until you tell me who will know I am here.” I said angry. “You know who is after me don’t you and you also know I have dreams. Is it the vampire I am searching for, the one who killed mom?” I asked.
“Yes. You will know who he is in time. Your mind only wants you to see what it wants you to see now. Your dreams show you things. Your mom had them. But you know who he is from your memories and that’s not one I have blocked. Only you can unlock it. You are the one who buried that one. He has been looking for you for all these years. I managed to keep you safe until recently when you remembered being the slayer. I have spies too and have kept my eyes on you when I could.” Chris said motioning us to move with him.
“So that explains why I always felt like I was being watched. It was you I was feeling. That explains how I can be comfortable around you guys. I felt you were good all this time and didn’t know it before I met Pete.” I replied.
“Well we must go now to a safer place. I can drive us there.” Chris said.
Pete grabbed and squeezed my hand. I was sensing he was nervous about this. All I could do was to squeeze his back and follow Chris to his car.