Bite Me

The Ultimate Betrayal

Once we had climbed into Chris’ car, we sat in silence for awhile as Chris drove us to where he was going to take us. I sat in the front passenger seat with Pete behind me in the back to keep an eye on Chris. All I could do was stare at the man who saved me but still looked like a teenager. I broke the silence.
“Chris you are still the same as I remember you. When I was a kid I never thought anything of it. How old are you now? I asked.
“I was eighteen when I was turned and your mother found me. She had just found out she was pregnant with you. We were only kids then it seemed. Most eighteen year olds don’t have the whole world on their shoulders. So I guess you could say I am now forty-three stuck in an eighteen year old body.” Chris replied. I turned around to look at Pete who was lost in thought.
I looked out the window after awhile and saw that Chris was taking us to a cemetery. It was dark and eerie. Why was I brought here to chat?
We pulled up a winding way and stopped in front of some gravestones. Chris got out of the car as well as me and Pete. We walked a few steps until Chris pointed to a grave.
I bent down to read it to see it was my mother’s grave. It had beloved mother engraved on it. I touched it and stood back up.
“She is dead, right? She’s not roaming around somewhere is she?” I asked trying to fight back tears. “The one who is after me wants me alive. I think I know now why he does. He wants to make me his bride.” I said turning towards Pete. He held me for a second then let go. I knew he was worried about me.
“He wanted your mother but she fought him off. I checked believe me. I waited by her grave after they buried her to make sure. You see a vampire has to make you drink their blood in some way to turn you. It could be by it rubbing on your lips and you tasting it and you are trapped into their spell against your will. Your boyfriend and I know all too well, don’t we Pete.” Chris said.
“How do you know my name?” Pete asked standing behind me.
“I have had my friends keep their eyes on Amanda for me. That is how I knew she was bitten and you rescued her. You fell in love with her. I know a lot, trust me. I fell in love with your mother, Amanda. Vampires like Pete and me are called Watchers. It is our job to protect the slayer at all costs in her quest to fight off the vampires. Falling in love with the slayer isn’t supposed to happen but it has. That is why you need to protect her at all cost Pete. I don’t want anything to happen to my…um my Starr.” Chris said hiding something I could tell.
“Wait, you used to call me my little Starr when I was little.” I said.
“And you called me Uncle Chris.” He said laughing.
“Chris, did you ever know who my father was?” I asked curiously.
“I knew him once, yes, but only from what your mother told me about him.” He said looking away.
I didn’t really quite catch it but Pete kept studying Chris. I couldn’t figure out why he wasn’t feeling comfortable around him. This whole situation I was in was weird.
“So my mom is safe in heaven. That makes me feel a little better. You don’t know my Dad. Well, I just thought of this! You are the Chris, aren’t you that posted the slayer stuff online?” I asked excited.
“Yes. I wanted you to know about things in case you found out about the slayer thing you would know and be prepared. I knew you would find it and be curious eventually.” Chris said.
“So, I have Pete and you now I guess as a watcher?” I asked Chris.
“I can be but I have other places to be. I have to fight wherever you can’t fight vampires.” He replied. “I came here because I knew you would want answers. I felt it.” He added.
“I am a little pissed. It is bad enough that I can’t save everyone now but the world was missing its slayer when you decided to erase my memories. I guess Brendon is a watcher too.” I added.
“There is one more. I didn’t erase your memories when you became the slayer, Amanda. But I gave the order to.” Chris said.
“Oh, and who could that other watcher be?” I said rolling my eyes and seeing Pete’s face turn away from me. That made me nervous. He pulled away from me as well. Did he know who my other watcher was? Was he keeping this from me for a reason?
“A slayer is supposed to have one watcher unless events happen in their life and then other watchers can appear. Pete was one so he could be with you now.” Chris said looking at Pete.
“Yes, but Pete didn’t want to be a vampire neither did Brendon. Pete, I am sorry it is because of me you are this way.” I said looking into his eyes. He was definitely afraid of something.
“I don’t blame you, Amanda. It isn’t your fault. Don’t believe that garbage for a second. Beckett did this to me and I couldn’t stop him.” He said pulling me tight.
“But you still haven’t told me. Who is this other watcher? Have I met them?” I asked.
“Amanda it is Nick, your old boyfriend. I found him and trained him to fight and to protect you. I made him erase it from your mind.” Chris said calmly.
“No!” I said pulling away from Pete. “So it was true, and I wasn’t crazy. I did see him before.” I said upset. “And you! You knew somehow, Pete? Why didn’t you tell me?” I said lashing out at him before stepping a few feet away from him. My heart started to race. How could Pete not tell me Nick was alive like him? My heart began to break and I was becoming overwhelmed. I couldn’t breathe and I was feeling very dizzy all of a sudden. Before I knew it I had collapsed. I blacked out.