Bite Me

Daddy Dearest

(Pete’s POV)
Amanda collapsed and I caught her. I couldn’t explain my way out of this one. Yeah, I was selfish. I was afraid if I told her I would lose her. I picked her up in my arms and I followed Chris to his car. I laid Amanda down in the backseat and climbed into the passenger seat.
“We should take her back to wherever you are staying. I think you can explain the rest to her.” Chris said.
“Gee, you think?” I said sarcastically.
“Look, Pete I know you love my daughter.” Chris said.
“Wait; did you just say your daughter? I knew it. I was trying to figure you out. You almost slipped back there.” Pete said. And here I am keeping a secret so I don’t lose the one I love.” I replied.
“You can’t tell her.” Chris pleaded as he drove.
“No. No more lies and secrets. I may lose her because of my mistake but you, she needs to know. She has been searching all this time for you. She tells me she is fine all the time but she is not. She has grown up not knowing who her dad is and now you want me to keep it secret? Sorry, I wont do that to her.” I said angrily. “One question though when she asks” I said.
“What’s that?” Chris said worried and concerned.
“How are you her dad if you are a vampire?” I finished.
Her mom and I met when we were sixteen. We were high school sweethearts I guess you could say. She had a rough home life and when she turned seventeen we moved in together. I was a few months older than she was. Well, she became the slayer and we had to figure things out from there. I had a nice job but she was always worried about me coming home late. We both new there were vampires out. We were alright if we were together. I knew the risks but I wasn’t going to let her go out alone and fight. We wanted to get married. We read that most slayers don’t live for very long. I didn’t want anything to happen to Amanda’s mom. She had the dreams of course of this vampire coming after her. Then on the day she found out she was pregnant, she learned I was killed. She came to my grave to kill me only what she found was that I was not a bad vampire. I had to help her keep safe for the baby. But you know the rest now.” Chris said remembering.
“I love Amanda. I don’t want anything to happen to her that’s why I have tried to protect her all these years. I found Nick in the woods. I told him what he was and trained him to fight. I also told him he wasn’t allowed to tell Amanda he wasn’t missing as she believed. He could never let her know what she was or that he was still alive.” Chris said with me wanting to hurt him for hurting Amanda.
“Do you know what you have done? You have managed to let lives be in danger because there wasn’t a slayer around. You could have protected her along with Nick. She wouldn’t have had to feel so alone in the world. As much as I hate saying this, Amanda would have been so much better if you hadn’t kept Nick away from her. I can understand how this affects her. She finally put him to rest in her mind and then she learns he is still around. I know she will be pissed at me but him too if she leaves to find him.” I said angrily.
I admit I don’t want her find Nick. But I am so scared she will. And I have to face it she will.
“I know she will be mad at me too. But I had to keep her safe for as long as I could. You love her. I see it. And you would do anything to keep her safe, right? Don’t let her go, Pete. Always protect her no matter what.” Chris said.
“What if her heart chooses Nick?” I said.
“I am sorry to have put you in this situation. Only Amanda can decide where her heart lies but either way, Pete, she is in danger and you know that. You’ve had the dreams too just like I did with her mom.” He said pulling up to our hotel.
“You want to tell me who is after her. I know you know.” I said.
“You know who it is too. You must be the one to figure it out Pete along with Amanda. It is buried in you two.” Chris said getting out of the car.
“How do I know who it is?” I asked confused.
“He is apart of you and that is all I am going to say.” Chris said helping me get Amanda out of the car.
We brought Amanda into our hotel room and laid her down on the bed. She looked peaceful and content but I knew better. Once she wakes up I am so going to hear it from her.
“Well, tell her if you must.” Chris said kissing Amanda’s forehead then heading towards the door.
“Wait, you’re leaving? You aren’t going to tell her the truth after all?” I said disgusted.
“It is better this way and I have some things to take care of.” Chris said as he left.
“What’s more important than you’re daughter?” I said aloud to myself.
I heard Amanda call out Nick’s name in her sleep and I cringed. All my fears were coming true. I didn’t need to bite her to hurt her; just keeping a big secret from her was all it took. I should have told her about Nick the day I told her about her mom like I said I would. Then, maybe we wouldn’t be in this boat and she would have still chosen me.
I watched Amanda. I wondered what she was dreaming and I took it that she was also dreaming of Nick. Then she started to wake up and I felt so sick, if that was even possible for a vampire.
“Pete, where’s Chris?” She said sitting up.
“Yeah about that, Chris left.” I said.
“What!” Amanda said getting up. “He’s just going to leave me here just like that?” She said grabbing her bag.
“Amanda, what are you doing?” I asked already knowing.
“I’m leaving and there isn’t one thing you can do about it!” She said grabbing her stuff and throwing in her bag.