Bite Me

Daggers and Knives

“I call them knives, you call them daggers. Why do you have these?” I said curiously walking with Andy to their gym area.

“Well believe it or not, vampires use them so we use them to fight back on certain vampires like your gang members and such. They are really good for a longer range in staking a vampire through the heart. Say for instance Patrick was fighting a vampire but was knocked down and had no way of protecting himself and I was free but far from him. I’d throw the knife as you call it towards the vampire’s chest or back where he/she’s heart is. Voila, dead vampire and hence Patrick is safe.” Andy explained.

“Good analogy. So what about guns? If gang members use knives to hurt do I have to watch out for guns too?” I asked.

“Nope. I think they realize to them it’s no fun that way and vampires like to make an impression when they kill.” Any said.

“Oh. Well, where do I begin? Surely I can’t end up hurting Pete this way.” I said trying to not want to see if he’s watching me.

“Okay, see that target I set up. You want to take these four daggers and throw them in the center there representing a heart. Ready? Here you go. And I think this is safer since you aren’t facing Pete.” Andy said laughing at me.

I took the daggers laughing with Andy. I can’t obviously make Pete flip out on me again if I’m not looking at him. I started to concentrate on the target and threw all four daggers into the spot shaped like a heart, knocking each dagger I threw, out of the target except the last one. Wow, excellent first try Amanda. But this all seemed so familiar. I felt like I’ve thrown something like this before but how? So many weird instances have happened to me over the years.

“Wow! Where did you… How did you…. Even I couldn’t get that right on the first try. That was perfect. Hey, Joe did you see that?” Andy said all amazed.

“Yeah that was amazing and Andy is good. That beat him. He’s a two out of three type of guy.” Joe said making fun of Andy.

“Andy I know this sounds crazy but will you throw them at me, one at a time?” I asked. I felt like I could catch it if someone was to throw one or anything like that at me. I just hope my instincts were right and that I was going to catch them. I’d hate to be wrong and end up in the hospital or dead. What’s the worse that could happen? I’m about to fight a vampire who may end up killing me.

“What? You want me to throw them at you? You are crazy.” Andy said.

“I’m serious. I have an instinct and I must prove it. I’m telling you I can do it. Here’s what you need to do. Throw one at a time. If I catch one give me time to drop it before you throw the next one. It’s alright Andy. Trust me. I’ll catch it by the handle, watch. Ready.” I said.

“Here goes.” He said. “Joe you’re my witness here.” He added.

First dagger was thrown and I did catch it in front of me. I dropped it and caught the next. And so on. Wow again. I was right. I could do it. My reflexes were sharp.

“Oh my gosh!” Andy and Joe said at the same time.

“How did you do that?” Patrick said running over to me. “Pete and I saw the whole thing.” He finished saying.

“I don’t know. I just had an instinct I could do it. I wanted to see how fast my reflexes really were. Now I know.” I said looking straight at Pete. What was happening to me? I was becoming something I wasn’t used to. In a way kind of cool because I seemed to be impressing the boys but at the same time I felt so weird. It was like all my senses were kicking into overtime. Maybe I was just antsy about later.

“Pete, she’s something else. She might end up replacing you.” Joe said.

“Seriously guys I know you think it’s cool and all but it’s not normal for me so please don’t dwell on what I did. I feel so different now. Funny thing is, I felt like I have done that before but I can’t ever recall doing it until now.” I said.

“It’s perfectly ok. We are sorry if we made you feel uncomfortable, Amanda.” Patrick said giving me a quick hug. Then Joe and Andy gave me a hug. “We will always be here for you.” Patrick said glaring at Pete.

“I think your vampire friend is running late.” Pete said standing in front of the kitchen counter. “Did you know how fast time has flown it’s now seven-thirty.” Pete added kind of smart like.

“Ooh I almost forgot.” I said ignoring Pete. “Bev wanted me to give you all passes to the opening of the new Jackie store that opens up Monday night with a V.I.P. party. Other celebs will be there too. She wants to personally thank you guys for rescuing us. The party starts at seven and there will be food and music. The place is huge. And I will be there too. Unfortunately I have to work there now.” I said laughing. “Bev sort of volunteered me and I couldn’t say no.” I finished.

“Sweet deal. I love parties.” Andy said.

“Count me in.” Patrick said.

“Um, count me in too, but only if I get to be introduced first.” Joe said.

“I think it can be arranged.” I said laughing at Joe. I kind of figured he had a crush on her. It was cute. “Pete, are you going to come?” I asked.

“I’m not a party person anymore.” He said looking away from me.

“That’s fine but I will leave one for you if you change your mind. Let me run out to my car guys. That’s where I left them.” I said heading towards the door. But when I got to the front door my head started to spin. I opened the front door, and then I heard a voice inside my head. The boys were too busy scolding Pete to notice me.

“Guys,” I said whispering, “Help.” Nothing from the boys. I was starting to lose control of myself; I was starting to hear only Mike. I could barely move except for me grabbing my head, for I was getting ready to become like a zombie and head towards Mike. Then I heard Pete yell my name. He must have seen me grab my head. He came rushing towards me but the room was spinning so bad that everything started to become a blur and all I knew was I had to see Mike.