Bite Me

With One Last Breath

Chapter 149
(Pete’s POV)
Brendon and I were fighting Beckett who managed to cut Brendon’s arm pretty good with his dagger. I then got held by three of Beckett’s goons and swung around to see everyone else was being pinned down to watch what was going on with Amanda. As I watched her slip I knew she couldn’t get her balance in time to get away from the twins. I watched helplessly as one of the twins grabbed her and bit her and then the other one biting the other side of her neck.
“No!” I screamed, trying to break free of my captors.
Amazingly I had busted and fought away from my captors to be too late. Beckett and Natasha gave a menacing laugh as they got away. And the twins let go of Amanda and took off. I ran to Amanda as fast as I could to catch her as she collapsed. She had blood everywhere on her neck and it was for the first time sickening to me. I was too late. I couldn’t save her from Natasha’s goons.
I held her in my arms as I went to the ground. Everyone fought off their captor and gathered around worried. For the first time in a long time I wanted to cry.
“Amanda, stay with me. Joe is calling for an ambulance.” I said seeing him get on his phone.
“Pete…” She said gasping for air.
“It’s alright. Save your energy.” I said hearing her fight to breathe. Every breath was getting weaker. I could feel her slipping from me.
“Amanda you are a fighter. Fight for me. Don’t leave me. Don’t leave us.” I said realizing I had told her to fight. Now I knew why we were having those dreams. But in those dreams I saved her. Why can’t I now? Or will my words make a difference?
She reached for my hand. I had her blood all over my good shirt now. I have never seen someone lose so much before.
“Where is that ambulance?” I yelled.
“Is she going to turn into a vampire if she dies?” Erelin asked Brendon.
“No. She has to be forced to drink a vampire’s blood. She’s not going to die.” Brendon said fighting his own pain from his wound to hold and comfort Erelin.
“I can’t take this.” Bev said holding onto Joe crying.
“Pete…I…am sorry.” Amanda said getting weaker.
“Don’t be sorry. I love you. We are going to be ok. You are going to get help.” I said trying to reassure her.
“I thought…” She said wincing in pain. “I thought I told you I hate hospitals.” Amanda barely got out but trying to smile.
I held her closer to my chest and kissed her forehead not letting go of her hand. I wanted to say she would heal and be alright but it wasn’t going to happen. I was trying to have hope, but I could feel her leaving me. I can’t explain that to everyone.
“Pete…I love you. You have…made me happy.” She said taking slower breaths.
“Amanda, look at me. You are a fighter. You can’t leave me. We are supposed to be together, remember?” I said holding back the tears.
I watched her smile then I felt, heard, and saw her take her last breath. This wasn’t happening. I didn’t have any air to give her.