Bite Me

Between My Head And My Heart

(Pete’s POV)
I walked into my room and quickly got some clean clothes out. I went to the bathroom to take a shower. On my way across the hall I could hear Sam, Andy, Chrissy and Patrick all talking about what had happened. All I could see in my head was a replay of what happened and how I couldn’t save Amanda.
If she dies, I want to die. I finally find the one person who understands me and loves me for me and now I fear we may be ripped apart. I love her. I told her I would protect her. I failed.
I took off the blood stained clothes I had on and just stared at them. How could Amanda and I have an amazing night last night and a wonderful day today, to have it all taken away by tragedy tonight? I had made the effort to look nice for her because I wanted her to be happy. Was she happy with me after all?
I took a warm shower and just let the water trickle down on me. I knew I should hurry in case something should happen. I needed to be there but I also needed a minute to think. In all the dreams Amanda and I have had, Beckett and Natasha weren’t the ones to come after Amanda. Chris even told me who killed Amanda’s mom is after Amanda. How did this happen then?
I had her blood on my hands from where I was holding her. Before I tried to wash it off I just stared at it. They were monsters that did this to her. I am no better. I hurt her too in the past. But if Amanda lives, this is all going to end soon one way or another. Beckett will be stopped and Brendon is going to take me to him.
I stopped for a second in the shower again and let the water fall on my back. I had this bad feeling come over me. One I knew all too well. Amanda stopped breathing again.
I closed my eyes and tried to focus on her. All I could do was repeat how much I loved her in my head and hope that she fought hard again. I prayed too that she would be alright and come back.
I felt her breathe again. We have this strange connection but at least I know for now she is alright. She is definitely fighting. I just hope she can long enough for her body to heal.
I hurried out of the shower and got dressed. I ran downstairs to tell the guys I was ready. Sam just looked at me with sad eyes.
“Pete, about what happened.” Sam said.
“I don’t want to talk about how I feel right now to you guys, no offense. I need to focus and be strong for Amanda now. She is fighting to stay alive, I can feel it. I will say that if Amanda lives, we are going to keep this secret until she gets better. I want Beckett and Natasha to think they killed her for now and I don’t want any of you guys out on the streets at night.” I said hurrying them to the car.
“Pete you know we are here for you, right? You can talk to us. Amanda is our friend too.” Patrick said.
“I know you guys are here for me but right now I am choosing to bottle my emotions for a reason. Don’t worry. I won’t take off and look for Beckett alone. I need to be with Amanda so she doesn’t think she is alone.” I said.
Andy drove us to the hospital. I found Bev and Erelin waiting with Joe. Brendon hadn’t come back yet from getting stitches and Erelin was getting worried about it.
“How much time does it take to stitch up a wound?” Erelin asked. “You don’t think they found out he was a vampire do you?” She whispered.
I sat down and looked her in the eyes, wiping a tear from her cheek. She hugged me and I smiled being calm for once. Maybe I got my strength all of a sudden to be calm from Amanda. She was always the calm one out of us.
“Erelin he is fine. I’m sure. He probably had to erase some things from the doctors or nurses so they wouldn’t try to take his blood or get medical info out of him. He’s smart. And maybe he snuck in to check on Amanda.” I said to Erelin.
“Yeah, maybe he’s keeping his eye on her like he promised.” Erelin said smiling at that.
“There hasn’t been any change we assume, Pete. No doctors have come back yet with any information.” Bev said. Joe had his arm around her and there was a tissue in her hand.
“It’s alright Bev. I know how she is.” I said putting my hand on her left arm.
Then we saw Brendon fly out through the emergency doors and out into the waiting room. He grabbed Erelin and hugged her tight with a bandage on his arm.
“I love you Erelin!” He said almost swinging her. “Amanda isn’t out of the woods yet but she is fighting hard.” Brendon said starting to explain why he was gone for so long.