Bite Me

So Distant We Have Become

“Amanda, ever since we got onto the switchover flight you have been distant.” Pete said as the last flight we had to take touched down in Florida.
“What? Oh, sorry.” I said trying to conceal my emotions.
“I’m sorry I am not Nick.” Pete said walking away from me.
“Wait, stop it isn’t that.” I said catching up to him. “Let’s grab our bags then find somewhere to talk.” I said.
We walked over to the baggage area and found our bags. We found a café inside the airport and sat in some chairs away from everyone else in a corner. I think Pete was trying to be patient with me.
“Pete, I dreamed on the first flight.” I said looking down.
“I dreamed too. I dreamed on the flight we just got off of.” Pete said.
“Well, I am sure it wasn’t like the dream I had.” I replied. “I wish I never met you Pete. Everything hurts right now that I just want to feel numb.” I said shocking him.
“How can you say that?” Pete said with hurt in his eyes. “I mean I am the one who usually says the wrong thing and screws up a relationship but this coming from you? It’s like an arrow through my heart.” Pete said starting to get up.
“No, wait hear me out.” I said grabbing his arm.
“I love you with everything in me but I…” I tried to get out.
“You what? You know I am going to die and you feel powerless because you can’t stop it. Is that why you were so distant and wish you never met me? Don’t think that I am not grateful that you came into my life because I am grateful. You changed me and made me better and well, if I have to go as much as I don’t want to I can be at peace because I had you in my life.” Pete responded.
“You know but how?” I asked being the confused one now.
“Same as you I take it. Nick came into one of my dreams.” He replied.
“We should have just remained friends and fought our attraction. Then it wouldn’t hurt so much to lose someone else in my life that I love.” I said looking away.
“I know you don’t mean that. I know you will defeat Dracula. You have what it takes. You are a fighter and a feisty one. You don’t give up. It’s why I love you so much. You fight for what you love.” He said holding my hand.
“Then how can I fight for us if you are leaving me?” I asked.
“Because the world depends on you and you know it. You know Dracula must be stopped. Besides I am still here. I am not dead, yet.” Pete said smiling.
“What are you talking about? You are dead.” I said laughing.
“At least I got a smile out of you.” He replied. “Come on lets get out of here. Your place?” Pete asked.
“To my apartment until tonight.” I replied.
“Let’s spend every second we can together.” Pete said as we walked over to the exit doors.
“It would be nice.” I said pulling the blanket out and covering Pete with it after we rented a car.
Once we arrived at my apartment, Pete took a good look around it. “It’s nice and roomy.” He replied.
I walked over to my bed and plopped down. He walked over to me and picked me up off the bed. He was trying to swing me and I made him stop.
“Hey, let’s not dwell on what may happen. We have time and we have tonight.” Pete said giving me a grin and cocking an eyebrow.
“Not enough time to spend with you, Pete. What happens after I defeat Dracula if I do? I am alone. I can’t start over. What about Erelin? I lose another friend and she loses her love. How do I explain to her that she doesn’t have much time left with Brendon?” I replied.
“How bout this; I haunt you.” Pete said trying to be silly.
“I know you are trying to make me feel better but…” I said getting cut off.
“Or I invade your dreams naked every night.” He said trying his hardest to make me not worry as much.
“Now there is a possibility.” I said smiling a bit.
“Don’t worry so much. It sucks but I accept it. I am on borrowed time I guess anyways with me being a vampire.” Pete said sitting on the bed.
“Yes, but you are my vampire and don’t you forget it!” I said whacking him with a pillow.
“Come here you!” He said pulling me down on his lap and tickling me until I couldn’t breathe.
One thing led to another and before you know it we were going from making out to making love to falling asleep in each others’ arms. We could withstand anything at this moment. I just had to accept what was going to happen and cherish every second I had with Pete.