Bite Me

The Closer We Are

We arrived back home to my place after the long flights home. It was daylight and the blanket had been handy again. No one was home when we walked into my apartment.
“Amanda, come with me.” Pete said grabbing my hand and leading me upstairs to my room. I think I knew what he was going to tell me. I was fine. I just wanted to kick some ass. It is what happens when I get mad.
“How is your hand?” He asked grabbing my hurt one.
“Fine.” I said watching him take the bandages off. “See, no harm done. It healed.” I replied as he kissed it.
Pete then sat next to me on the bed. “It’s ok to cry, Amanda. You don’t have to be strong all the time for me. Your dad was only trying to do what was best for you. He didn’t want you getting involved in this mess and tried to keep you safe all these years.” Pete said.
I leaned into Pete and started to cry. He held me close. I rested my head on his shoulder.
“I try to be strong for everyone. How can I be for myself? I keep losing everyone and soon, maybe you.” I barely got out.
“Don’t let the pain get to you. Instead, use it to fuel you. Look at me.” He said raising my chin a bit. I placed my right hand on his.
“Don’t worry about me. Let me be strong for both of us. I can handle anything. I will find you again always, Amanda.” He said leaving those words echo in me.
“I don’t want to lose you.” I said snuggling closer to him.
“You won’t. You killing Dracula may kill all the vampires but I will be here somehow for you. Even, if I have to haunt you.” He said jokingly.
“Oh, stop it with that.” I said laughing. “Well, I’m pretty much an orphan now, aren’t I?” I asked.
“Hey, you have my family.” Pete said smiling. I just rolled my eyes.
“I said some hurtful things to him back in Kentucky. Why did he come back to Florida?” I wondered aloud.
“You may have but don’t keep beating yourself over it. He loved you and he knew you loved him and just was upset over how things have happened. I think he wanted to kill Dracula for you and there was nothing you could do to stop him, Amanda.” Pete said motioning me to lie down.
I crawled up on his shoulder as he kissed my forehead and stroked my hair. I was going to spend every moment with him I could. But Pete’s words echoed in my head from earlier. Did Nick not tell me everything or was Pete determined to find a way back to me when this was all over? My head hurt from all the thinking my mind wanted to do.
We fell asleep together and for once I had some peaceful dreams. Pete was plagued by something in his dreams, however, because he woke me up. I tried to wake him but couldn’t. Then as if he was sleepwalking, only he wasn’t he held me down and bit me.
“Pete! Wake up!” I cried trying to get him off me which I did. Somehow, he was in a deep sleep just like Dracula had made Brian and Leigh Anne. And I was suddenly sucked in because after the bite I was beginning to fall back asleep and into Pete’s dream.