Bite Me

Saying Goodbye Is Never Easy

We made it outside of the mansion. I left Brian and Leigh Anne still in there but I knew they would be ok and make their way out once they woke up. Joe and Patrick found a car with the keys in it and I crawled into the back. The boys helped get Pete in the back and I pulled him across me so he could lay down in the back with me holding on to him.

Andy helped Erelin and Sam put Brendon into Erelin’s car after Brendon mouthed where he left the car and Andy pulled it around. Joe and Andy stayed behind with Bev and Chrissy who were going to call a cab with Joe’s cell phone. And then Patrick drove us off as Sam drove Erelin and Brendon back to the boys’ place.

On the car ride there Pete kept drifting off on me and scaring me. I started to cry as I was losing the love of my life. I wanted Patrick to drive faster.

“Pete, don’t leave me. We are almost home.” I said with a tear falling down onto Pete’s cheek.

“Hey, don’t cry.” He said opening his eyes and reaching up to touch my face. “You saved the world.” He said.

“No, we saved the world. All of us did. I couldn’t have done it without all of my friends and you.” I replied.

“Patrick he isn’t healing very fast. Can’t you go any faster? He’s slipping from me.” I said.

“I’m going as fast as I can.” He said frantically.

“Amanda, I will be alright.” He said wincing in pain from his left side. Pete was bruised and banged up good.

“If anything you should worry about yourself. How are you holding up? You took a nasty fall and banged your head.” Pete said looking in my eyes.

“You always worry about me. I don’t feel any pain right now.” I replied.

“That’s not true and you know it. I feel your pain remember.” He said.

“Pete, don’t let go of me.” I said as he squeezed my hand.

Pete went unconscious again and Patrick finally made it to his place. He helped me get Pete out of the car. Sam pulled up and helped Erelin out with Brendon. Once we got inside Erelin took Brendon into Pete’s old room that the boys had turned into another bedroom once Pete went back to his own room. Patrick helped me carry Pete into his room and put him on the bed.

“I know you want to say something to Brendon. Pete will be here. I will stay with him.” Patrick said hugging me.

“He’s slipping from us. I can’t fix this. I can’t help him.” I said tearing up again.

“No, but Erelin needs you right now.” Patrick said.

I took off downstairs as fast as I could. I ran into that old room I remember Pete had slept in a metal coffin like box. I remember him trying to kill me as an instinct. Then I quickly snapped out of memory mode and looked at Brendon who was slipping fast too.

“I will leave you alone and be a lookout for the others.” Sam said stepping out of the room.

“Erelin, I’m so sorry.” I said watching her cry as she sat by Brendon.

“It’s not your fault. It’s Dracula’s. Why do Brendon and Pete have to pay?” Erelin asked getting up to hug me.

“I don’t know.” I replied trying to keep it together.

“He comes and goes and I know he is hurt. His wounds aren’t healing as fast so I know he is slipping. He pushed me out of the way of a vampire as he was getting weak from you first stabbing Dracula and got hurt. What am I going to do now?” Erelin asked.

I started to answer but Brendon came to and said, “Hey if it isn’t my best girlfriend. Thank you for bringing me and Erelin together.”

“Brendon, I…” I said starting to cry again.

“Hey, no worries, remember? Take care of Erelin for me. Keep her out of trouble.” He said smiling.

“I will try but I don’t know. You get us two girls together and trouble just happens to show up.” I said trying to smile. I gave him a hug goodbye and said, “I love you and will miss your encouragement and you bugging me all the time,” in his ear. Brendon smiled.

I walked out leaving Brendon and Erelin alone to find everyone had made it back safely. They all were hugging me and went in to see Brendon and Pete. I sat in the kitchen. I wanted to scream. And as I started to cry in the corner I could feel all the pain come to me from all my bruises and wounds. I think I cracked a few ribs and I know I had a gash on my forehead from my fall. But it didn’t matter to me. Nothing did except Pete.

I finally walked upstairs. Pete was calling for me. I think he was ready to go. Patrick never left as everyone said their goodbyes and had left the room as he promised. He hugged me and closed the door behind him leaving just me in the room with Pete now.

I climbed up on the bed and curled up beside Pete with my head on his shoulder. I could feel every ounce of his strength was almost gone now. He didn’t have much time left.

“Amanda, I love you.” He said trying to kiss my forehead.

I rolled over onto him and kissed his lips. We stared into each other’s eyes and I know it took all of his strength he had left in him to pull my hair behind my ear.

“I love you. You can’t fight this?” I asked.

“No. It is my time. I was only on borrowed time to help you. I’m a vampire remember?” He said.

“But you are good. You had your soul. This is so hard. I killed Dracula. I don’t want you to die from me killing him. I’m killing you.” I said.

“Amanda we have had this conversation. It is not your fault. You are going to fall asleep soon.” Pete said.

“Sleep? How can I sleep when I am losing you?” I asked.

“You will.” He said. Then he started coughing which was weird because vampires don’t breathe.

“Pete, don’t leave me.” I said.

“You are the most stubborn girl I know and I love you for it.” He said giving me his grin I so love. I take you with me and don’t worry. You will be fine.” He said closing his eyes and finally slipping away.

“Pete, no!” I said. I felt nothing from him. It was over just like that.

I put my head down on his shoulder again and cried. What was I to do now? Do I tell everyone Pete is gone? Do I check on Erelin?

Everything was so quiet. I got up and went to open Pete’s door. I wanted to go downstairs. It was too quiet but something pulled me back into Pete’s room as I stood outside of it.

I became very tired all of a sudden and my wounds were starting to heal up. I somehow had the red ribbon in my pocket of my pants as I put my right hand in the pocket. How did that get there?

I placed it in Pete’s hand and kissed his lips for the last time. I didn’t want to leave but I had this urge to go home to my place. I glanced at him as I opened his window to sneak out one last time.

“Goodbye, Pete.” I said climbing out.

I walked all the way home yawning all the way there. I walked into my apartment to see Bev was fast asleep in her bed without Joe to comfort her. That was odd and why wasn’t she here to comfort me?

I grabbed me some pajamas and decided to take a shower. As much as I was so sleepy I wanted to wash away the blood that was on me. After I turned on the water and stepped in however I just sank down onto the wall and cried for a bit. Then I got out and went to bed. I tried to fight it but sleep prevailed.