Bite Me

Life of The Party

It was now six-thirty p.m. I had to be here a half hour before the party to be debriefed on what my job was. That was if I still had a job. I wanted to look all perfect for Pete if he did decide to show up. I fixed my hair all nice and splashed on some perfume. I was ready to walk into Jackie’s opening party and be yelled at by my best friend.

I flashed my badge to the bouncer and walked into the store. I was in awe. This place was huge. It had two big floors and the first floor was set up for the fashion show. There were booths set up for the celebs to get free products and such from Jackie’s line. And there were waiters and caterers bringing food in to be catered.

Wow, this was one big party to celebrate her grand opening. The public wasn’t allowed in until tomorrow. I put my purse in a storage closet where all the other employees were keeping theirs.

Then I turned around to here a voice say, “There you are!” It was Bev. Oh no here it goes, her wrath on why I didn’t show.

“Where have you been? I called your cell. You didn’t show up for today’s important meeting. Jackie was very angry at me. I thought you were reliable, Amanda. I needed you to be here today. But I see you had to have been out at your new mystery guy’s place right. You didn’t even come home. I got worried.” She said scolding me.

I wanted to say, “I was out saving the world from vampires last night and was nearly killed. What more do you want?” But I couldn’t say that.

“Bev I am so sorry. I am here now. I overslept at my new guy’s place you are right but it isn’t what you think. I fell asleep on his couch watching movies and he didn’t wake me. I didn’t leave a note cause I thought I’d be back. Let me make it up to you.” I said.

“Well if you still have a job you can train on the late shift with me tomorrow.” She said.

“Great! So where’s Jackie?” I said.

“She’s right behind you dear.” I heard a voice say that made me cringe. I turned around to see Jackie standing in front of me now.

“I hope there is an explanation for why you didn’t show up today, Amanda.” Jackie said looking at my badge.

“Yes. I want to apologize and say it will never happen again. Bev and I were attacked Friday night and I have been so stressed out over it. I guess I just over slept.” I said hoping she would believe me even though it wasn’t the full truth.

“Darling, you were attacked?” Jackie said to Bev ignoring me.

“Yes, Jackie we were. But we are okay I hope now.”

“Well in that case I suggest you be take care my dear, and Amanda you have one more shot.” She said.

“Oh thank you, Jackie. I promise I won’t let you down.” I said sucking up. Then Jackie walked away. Bev gave me I am impressed look and hugged me.

“What was that for?” I asked.

“For being the best suck up I know and keeping your job.” She said laughing.

I laughed too. Then I checked my watch again. It was now seven, time for the guests to arrive.

“So what am I suppose to do, Bev? And I love your dress.” I said.

“Well you are mainly here tonight just to do what I say since you missed the meeting.” She said laughing at me. “But seriously if any celebs walk by with questions about certain products or different lines Jackie has designed, this is your cheat sheet to answer their questions. Be like a greeter of sorts when they walk in and direct them to the section of the fashion show or you know stare and awe at them without drooling.” She said handing me a card.

“Ok that’s you. Seriously are you ready to manage this store? All these celebs, I know you want to drool especially if say George Clooney or Josh Hartnett walks in.” I said laughing at her now.

“Hey I save my drooling for when I am alone and then I shout OH MY GOSH I JUST MET…” Bev said rolling her eyes at me. “So where are our rescuers?” She added.

“Um, there!” I said pointing at the security table.

“NO WAY!!” She said excitedly. “You are kidding right. That’s members of Fall Out Boy. Wait, minus Pete. I just got it. You like Pete and now you are hanging with him for real. Oh girl!” She said really fast.

“Calm down Bev. Yes they really did rescue us. They were coming out of the club that night and saw us. Pete couldn’t make it I guess.” I said dejected like.

“So go get them. Bring them over here, your first job of the night.” Bev said.

“Ha-ha ok but don’t let that my boss thing go to your head and stay calm around Joe. Don’t scare him please.” I said making fun of Bev.

“Oh, how’s my hair before you go?” She said.

“I’ll be back Bev.” I said leaving her hanging.

I walked over to the guys who now made it over to a cocktail table. They were all smiling as they saw me. The boys also looked very handsome like they were at an awards show.

“Hi guys!” I said hugging them all.

“Pete hasn’t made it yet I see.” Patrick said.

“He wasn’t coming with you?” I responded.

“No. But he said he’d try to show. We told him he had to.” Andy said.

“I like the red carpet feel outside.” Joe said.

“Yeah and this place is huge.” Patrick added.

“Well are you guys ready to re meet Bev?” I asked.

“Sure lead the way.” Joe said smiling.

I led them over to where Bev was standing. I could tell Joe was really nervous but happy to talk to Bev finally. I thought it was cute because Bev was just as nervous.

“Bev, this is Andy, Patrick, and Joe.” I said. The boys all shook her hand.

“This is a nice place you work at.” Joe said trying to make small talk.

“Yes. I’m in charge.” She said with a grin.

“Yes just quit rubbing it in already.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Amanda, don’t you have a job to do?” She said trying to shoo me away from her and Joe.

I think Bev was trying not to flip out and flirt on the job I may add to Joe. I decided I had better seat Patrick and Andy at least. I’d leave poor Joe over there to Bev.
It was so cute them two.

“Well Andy, Patrick,” I said with them each taking an arm around mine, “Let me show you guys around and take you to your seats for the show.”

“That sounds good to us.” Patrick said.

The fashion show went off without a hitch. There were celebrities everywhere and the store was packed both upstairs and downstairs. It was now nine-thirty. I made my rounds seeing if anyone needed anything and I found no Pete. Music was banging loudly from the DJ and everyone was having a good time. I then ran back into Joe who was with Bev of course.

“Have you seen Pete yet?” Joe asked.

“No. I don’t feel him so I know he’s not here.” I said over the loud music.

“What do you mean feel him?” Bev said.

“Never mind, Bev. Hey do you mind if I leave a little early?” I said to her.

“Sure. I will tell Jackie you got sick. Thanks, Amanda.” She said winking at me.

I knew she was letting me off because I got her to meet her celebrity crush, Joe Trohman. I hoped the two of them hit it off. It would be nice to see my best friend happy. At least one of us would be.

I walked to where my purse was being stored, grabbed it and walked out of the store. I didn’t really feel like driving home just yet so I took a walk down the boulevard. I made sure to grab a stake in my hand just in case out of my purse.

Then I felt that feeling of being watched. Was Pete watching me? “Alright, Pete you can quit following me. Show yourself.” I said. But no Pete. Some vampire was here though. “I can’t see you but I know you are there. Show yourself now and I will make it less painful on you.” I hollered.

Just then I got a stronger feeling and turned around to see none other than Brendon. I held my stake in my hand and stood in a firm fighting stance.