Bite Me

Home At Last

“Well, I was beginning to think you weren’t ever going to come home and that you might be late to work.” Bev said sitting on the couch, still in her pajamas as I walked in the door.

“Sorry about that Bev. I kind of overslept at Pete’s. But I am here and I am going to go get ready.” I said.

“Hey it’s okay. You are here now. Don’t feel bad, at least you got more sleep than me. I didn’t get home until six-thirty this morning. So I have only had three hours of sleep. I just got up myself. You look terrible though. Is everything alright?” Bev said.

She had a way with knowing my moods. I guess she can sense something is bothering me now. It must be a best friend thing.

“So how did it go with Joe last night? I’m sorry I bailed. I had to leave. Things with Pete are complicated now.” I said sitting on the chair by the fireplace.

“You are trying to change the subject aren’t you?” She said laughing. “Things with Joe went well. He, Andy, and Patrick helped me clean up for today. Jackie is running the show until we get there then she’s flying back out to New York. I feel sorry for my employees working with her.”

“Ah, I see.” I said.

“Now what’s this with Pete? I took it he found you or you found him, since you didn’t come home. You sure do sleep over a lot and you barely know him.” She said laughing. I knew she was only kidding but it hurt.

“I didn’t sleep with him. I don’t sleep with him.” I said defensively.

“Uh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you. I was only kidding.”

“I know. I’m sorry, Bev. I’m just confused right now. I have a lot on my mind to think about. I didn’t mean to snap.” I said with my eyes watering.

“Hey, you sure you don’t want to talk to me about it?” Bev said concerned.

“Rain check? I want to get ready now.” I said getting up.

“Sure. You do know you can tell me anything though, Amanda. I don’t want to see you get depressed and hurt again like you did about Nick.” She said getting up.

“I promise I will tell you but after I finish getting ready okay? I’m fine. I won’t fall into that dark place again. This is a little different.” I said heading upstairs.

“I made some blueberry muffins just to let you know.” Bev said.

“Thanks.” I said looking downstairs.

I had a lot on my mind. I needed my best friend. But I can’t tell her everything. How am I to tell her what’s going on in my life without telling her Pete is a vampire and I may be a potential vampire slayer? I hate feeling alone right now. It is so weird how my mood just changed.

Maybe after a warm shower and some muffins, I may feel a little better. And since Brendon seems to think I may be a slayer I think I am going to do some research on my computer. Why do I think he may be right? I do show signs, if what I find is true. But first that warm shower.