Bite Me

To Be The Better Man

(Pete's POV)

“Pete, you awake?” Patrick said, gently knocking on my door.

“Hey, you’re awake. Come on in.” I said.

“Where’s Amanda?” Patrick said yawning.

“Sleepyhead, she went home. I’m kind of bummed. I’m glad you are awake now. I need someone to knock some sense into me.” I said staring at my laptop.

“Really? What did you do this time? Did you two...” Patrick said getting cut off.

“No. We didn’t have sex. I knew you were thinking that. Wait how did you know she was here?” I asked looking at Patrick.

“We all saw her car over here so we figured you found her. Then when we were headed for bed around six this morning your door was open. Joe, Andy, and I saw you two together in your bed.” He said.

“I see. Well, no here’s what happened.” I said explaining.

I told Patrick everything that happened last night, to me finding Amanda with Brendon, to hitting her accidentally, to our dream. I let him process it all. I then told him how I was feeling.

“Wow. I can’t believe you let her break in our home.” Patrick said laughing. “Any other girl you’d have locked up.” He said.

“That’s all you are going to say to me?” I asked.

“Well I don’t know what you want me to say, Pete, I haven’t already said. I like Amanda. I don’t want to see her get hurt, Pete. I told you to be careful too. You need to watch it with that craving thing. Now, that worries me.” Patrick said.

“I know. It worries me too. When we kiss, it’s hard to keep in check without vamping out on her as I like to call it. I don’t want to bite her. But I want to be around her a lot.” I said.

“I can’t believe you two had the same dream. That is kind of cool but I guess from her point of view maybe she did get a little scared too, Pete. I mean you two haven’t known each other long enough to have a relationship and here she is dreaming of you. I can see why she’d be upset or embarrassed. Maybe she needs time to think. Or, maybe she thinks you are going to yell at her for Brendon. I don’t know. The only thing you can do is talk to her Pete.” Patrick said leaning against my dresser.

“Yeah, you are right but what if she doesn’t want to talk. I feel like she was trying to avoid me for whatever reason.” I said worried.

“You won’t know unless you talk to her.” He said.

Patrick is always right. He is my voice of reason and the one I count on the most for advice. It has always been that way even when I don’t listen to him.

“I think I am going to tell her she’s a slayer also, Patrick.” I said. “I don’t want to keep any secrets from her.

“You know you’d have to tell her about Nick.” Patrick said.

“Yeah, but if Amanda doesn’t remember everything, I may leave that out for now.” I said grinning.

“Pete. We are talking about her life here. She deserves to know what she’s missed out on. It’s not her fault and you are no better than Nick from keeping it from her. You know I still can’t believe you messed with that girl’s head we saved the other night.” He said upset.

“Look, it didn’t hurt her it helped her. And I would never change Amanda’s memories or hurt her in that way like what Nick has done.” I said.

“Fine. Well I see you are writing again.” Patrick said peering over at my laptop.

“Yeah, I thought I’d catch up on what’s happening over on boards. And write in my journals. I am trying to be better Patrick, for myself and for Amanda.” I said smiling.