Bite Me

Now Hiring

“Wow, this is going to be a long night. I said to Bev. It’s already five pm now and you have taught me how to run the registers, fold product, place product, yell at the employees, just kidding there, and other stuff. Plus introduce me to the other employees. We have six more hours to go. What are you doing to me?” I said laughing at Bev.

“Well, I’m sorry but you just have to wait on our customers and go home at eleven.” Bev said. “I have to take care of some stuff with Trish in the back can you handle everything now?” She added.

“Yes. If I need help checking out a customer’s purchase I will holler at Danny over there to come running. He can help me.” I said laughing. “Go on. Do your job. I will be fine.” I said.

“In that case its not you I’m worried about its poor Danny.” She said walking off.

“Hey, I heard that!” I said laughing.

I know Bev so wants this job and that I am helping her out but I don’t know about this place. I don’t really fit in. Everyone has money or is famous that comes in here and I may have money but I am just a simple girl. I don’t need a pair of jeans for $150.00. I can find other uses for my money like donating it or something. But I have to smile and be helpful. Yeah, retail isn’t the job for me. I think I will lean on this counter and make out next week’s schedule for everyone since that is my job too.

“Excuse me, I don’t mean to bother you.” I heard someone say.

“Yes.” I said looking up from the counter.

It was that girl from the other night who got bit. Pete said she’d be alright since we killed the vampire that bit her. I looked and saw she had a slight scar on her neck.

“Hey, your name is Erelin right?” I asked her.

“Yeah, how did you know?” She said.

“My friends and I rescued you and your friends from that um, gang that attacked you a couple nights ago.” I said not revealing too much.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I can’t seem to remember much. Everything is a little fuzzy from then. I remember a gang and my neck hurting that is about it. I don’t remember you.” She said rubbing her left side of her neck.

“It’s ok.” I said. Now I know what fuzzy feels like. I remember having fuzzy feelings all to well. That is odd for her to feel that way. I mean I’m glad she doesn’t remember and I want her to think it was a gang but for her not to remember seeing me there was odd.

“Well, my name is Amanda. Is there anything I can help you with?” I asked.

“Yes. I know you just opened and all but I was wondering of you were still hiring or if I could apply. My family just moved here from Chicago a couple of months ago and I need a job to help pay for college. I graduate in May.” She said.

“Well I would hire you but…” I said getting cut off.

“Oh, you mean you aren’t hiring?” She said cutting me off. “I’m good with a cash register. I used to waitress and I am people friendly.” Erelin added.

“Whoa, slow down. I mean I am a supervisor yes, but I don’t do the hiring. Let me go get my best friend who happens to be the boss. Wait here, okay.” I said smiling.

She was very anxious to get a job. I like that she is persistent. I would hire her to keep her out of trouble. So no more vampires could find her.

“Ok. I will wait.” She said.

I walked to the storage rooms in the back of the place and found Bev going through some new shipments of clothes. She looked frustrated.

“Hey, can you come up front for a second?” I asked Bev.

“Sure, is there a problem?” She asked.

“No. We have someone wanting a job though.” I said.

“But we aren’t hiring anyone now. We have all the people we need.” Bev said.

“Well I recommend her to you. Just meet her and hear her out ok. I think she’d be good for the company and she could help you out back here.” I said.

“Ok. Trish give me thirty minutes. I will be back.” Bev said over to Trish.

“Take your time.” Trish said.

We walked back front and I introduced Erelin to Bev. I told her that the guys and I had rescued her and her friends from some punks and that she said she had worked with the public before. Bev then took Erelin to her office upstairs.

Apparently she was hired because she came down all excited. I was glad. I can tell when people really need a job.

“Well, you already know Amanda here. She is the boss when I am away or if I am here but not out on the sales floor. Don’t worry she is training too.” Bev said.

“Hey! It wasn’t my fault I missed training. Ok. Maybe it was.” I said looking away.

“Amanda, I need you to show her around and the ropes. Introduce her to all the employees. Can you start tonight?” Bev asked.

“Yes! I won’t let either of you down.” Erelin said.

“Then you will do fine. Just send her back to me after you have showed her around, Amanda so she can fill out some more paperwork. Oh and can you stay until eleven on most nights. I need you now until then.” Bev said.

“Yes. I just can’t work until after school of course.” Erelin said.

“Good. See you in a few.” Bev said walking back to the storage area.

“Danny.” I said.

“Yes?” He said.

“Danny, meet Erelin Deang. She is our newest employee.” I said looking at them.

“Hi. It’s nice to meet you.” He said shaking her hand.

“It’s nice to meet you too.” She said.

“Danny, I need you to be in charge until I get back showing Erelin around. Can you handle it?” I asked.

“Yes, I can.” He said.

“Good. C’mon, Erelin. Welcome to the most insane place you will ever work at.” I said showing her around.