Bite Me

My Mother The Slayer

“Ok. Where did Bev put that ice pack at in the freezer?” I said aloud.

“Amanda, as I was saying upstairs, you will heal pretty fast. Tomorrow you will be good as new.” Pete said.

I found the ice pack and held it on my shoulder. I sat down at the kitchen table and pulled out a chair for Pete. “Would you like anything to drink, coffee, or tea?” I asked. “Wait you only drink blood, my bad.” I said not looking at Pete.

“Hey, where is this animosity suddenly coming from?” Pete asked.

“I don’t know. I’m sorry. I guess it takes me getting hurt myself to really understand how much danger everyone is in. I’m just stressed and frustrated and hurt right now.” I said.

“I forgive you. Look, you want to start off about what happened with Brendon. I promise I won’t get mad.” Pete said. I gave him the yes you will look. “Ok, maybe a little but I won’t disappear or anything and I promise not to yell.” He added holding my right hand.

“Brendon came to warn me that he thinks I am this slayer chic. He saw how I fight and how I sense vampires, which tonight I was totally off by the way. He told me that Beckett believes there is a slayer hiding out in town and wants to find her so he can kill her. He also told me a list of other signs that he doesn’t know about but things that all point to me Pete.” I said letting go of Pete’s hand. Now I was the one pulling away.

“Do you think you are?” Pete asked.

“I didn’t want to at first but how can I explain it? There is just so much missing out of my life though. Things, I can’t remember. Brendon said I had to become a slayer when I was a teenager. But I can’t recall anything out of the ordinary happening to me to be this way. I thought my strength, and agility was all normal as a kid.” I said.

“Brendon, I hate to say this, was right.” Pete said staring at me.

“What? How do you know?” I asked confused.

“Amanda, I don’t want to keep secrets between us. I knew after we fought off Mike. I did some research that night when I finally came home after you defended Brendon the first time. I looked up what happened to your mom and found out she wasn’t murdered by a person as the cops put.” Pete said not wanting to hurt me.

“Then how?” I asked tears starting to form. It was my mom we were talking about and part of me felt as if I should already know what happened. I just couldn’t remember. It was all fuzzy in my head.

“Your mom was a vampire slayer. You are a vampire slayer. The lineage goes back and forth between a couple of families. When one slayer dies, another is chosen. You were born with your abilities but they weren’t activated until needed. She was killed by vampires, Amanda.” Pete said staring at me to see how well I would take the news.

“Was someone with her? Did it say if she was alone? She haunts some of my dreams. I see her but I see me as a little girl screaming for her, Pete. Was I there? Did she die protecting me?” I said getting up from the table and leaning on the kitchen counter. This was all too much to hear.

“I don’t know. It didn’t say. It did say in the paper on her death that she had a boyfriend that the cops suspected. And that you were dropped off at a shelter until your aunt came to get you. Do you remember a boyfriend?” Pete asked.

“No. I remember the shelter then being taken to Florida to my aunt’s house. But there is a man in my dreams carrying me away when I am screaming for my mom. I can’t see his face. I can’t see his face, Pete. Oh please tell me I wasn’t there.” I said crying.

Pete got up and said, “Come here.” He had his arms open and I came to him. He held me close. “It’s going to be alright.” Pete said kissing my forehead. “There’s more if you want to still hear it.” He said.

“Yes. I want to know everything. Maybe it will help my memory from not being so fuzzy. Wait. That is exactly what Erelin said earlier about when at first she didn’t remember me she said her mind was fuzzy.” I said to Pete.

“Oh. Um, really?” Pete said looking down.

“Yes. That is so weird.” I said moving into the living room and sitting on the couch.

“Well anyway your mom was eighteen when she had you and she was twenty-four when she…” Pete tried to say.

“Died? It is okay, Pete. At least I have lived one more year than her so far.” I said trying to make light of the situation.

“Amanda.” Pete said sitting beside me.

“Well it’s true.” I said.

Pete told me all about what abilities we slayers have. He wasn’t sure who I replaced. He also couldn’t find anything on this boyfriend my mom had.

“I wish I could remember everything Pete, but I can’t.” I said staring away from him.

“Hey, it’s okay.” Pete said trying to grab my hand again. This time I didn’t pull away. I felt I could tell him all about what has happened with Brendon now and hope that one day Pete forgives him. I also felt I could discuss our dream together and not be so freaked out by it. It can only make us stronger.