Bite Me

Did He Say Love?

I drove over to Pete’s place in a hurry. I was hoping I wouldn’t get pulled over by a cop and I didn’t. As I got out of my car I saw that the boys’ car was gone. I guess they had decided to do some slaying after they left my place as well.

I walked over to the front door and decided I wasn’t going to knock on it. I was too nervous to. I mean I know I have to tell Pete about Brendon and get his help but I felt comfortable just sneaking in as I used to do. So I walked over to his fire escape and saw his window was open. Good. His light was off; maybe he was out as well.

I made it up the fire escape and crawled in through the window. It was so dark from all the lights being off. I knew Pete was there after I came in through the window. I just didn’t know where yet. My eyes were beginning to adjust to the darkness of the room when Pete switched on a light.

“What are you doing here?” Pete asked shocked to find me in his room. He was standing by his door. I figured he felt me come in as well.

“I…I’m here because of Brendon. He needs your help. Brendon may die.” I said shaky.
“Wait, what’s wrong with Brendon? Tell me that Erelin is alright too.” Pete said all concerned walking over to me.

I couldn’t move. I knew what I was supposed to be here for but I couldn’t say anything else at the moment. I was in shock of what happened. I was all calm for everyone else but now the reality of losing a friend was setting in.

“Amanda!” Pete said gently shaking me to get me to wake out of my trance. “You have blood on you. Are you alright?” Pete said upset.

“It’s Brendon’s. He was out with Erelin tonight. She’s fine. I came to their rescue but not in enough time. Beckett stabbed Brendon really bad. He’s…he’s lost a lot of blood, Pete.” I said looking at Pete with a blank stare.

Pete knew how close Brendon and I were as friends. He had learned to put his differences with Brendon aside because of me. He did what I needed him to. Pete held me and let me collapse in his arms. I cried letting out all the pain I was feeling from this incident and others.

“I never asked to be a slayer.” I said.

“I know. It’s going to be alright.” Pete said kissing my forehead and holding me tighter.

“Beckett knows I am the slayer now.” I whispered.

“What! How did that happen?” Pete asked me.

I looked up at him from the bed we were sitting on. His eyes showed so much warmth and love that I haven’t seen in the last month. He was very concerned about me.

“I had to tell him or he would have killed Erelin there on the spot. He thought she was the slayer and that’s when I stepped in only I was too late. He had stabbed Brendon because he wasn’t going to tell. I can’t lose my buddy. And what do I say to Erelin if he dies?” I said crying again.

“Pete wiped away my tears. Hey it won’t happen. What did you come here for? You obviously thought I could help.” Pete said.

“Blood. I need blood. Well Brendon does anyways. He lost a lot and since we can’t take him to a hospital I know that if he drinks blood he will heal faster. I came to get some of your supply.” I said turning away from Pete.

“Sure. C’mon we must hurry. You said he was hurt badly you should leave here quickly.” Pete said getting up to go downstairs.

I followed him downstairs to the kitchen where he put three blood packets in a cooler for Brendon so they wouldn’t get bad right away. I grabbed the cooler and ran towards the front door. Pete followed.

“I don’t want any of this anymore. I’ve seen too much hurt and loss since the last two months I have been a slayer. It’s not what I expected. I’m not afraid of Beckett. It’s me I am afraid of Pete. I can’t handle my emotions. What if I get careless?” I said scared.

“That won’t happen. I won’t let Beckett hurt you or any other vampire ever. It’s hard when we can’t save everyone I know. I have dealt with it too. Where’s my strong girl I first fell in love with?” Pete said touching my arm.

Did he just say he had fell in love me? No. He must be saying it to try and comfort me. But he is right. I need to be strong and to focus. But I want to run away.

“Your girl isn’t who she thought she was anymore. I am just a former shell of myself. I better go. Thanks, Pete.” I said leaning up to kiss him on the cheek. I could tell he wanted to kiss me and solve all my problems. Maybe take all my hurt away but he couldn’t. But his eyes told me everything that he still cared.

I left him standing at the door watching me leave. I got in my car and booked it back over to my place as fast as I could. Brendon’s life depended on it.