Bite Me

Graduation Day Part Two

“I’m seriously going to be alright now Brendon. You can let go of my arm.” I said. “Ooh it’s a little after six. Stay here so the light doesn’t hit you. I am going to run my bag out to the car real quick then I will come back to get you.” I added.

“Ok, but it is slowly getting dark. How can I walk out to your car?” Brendon said.

“I have an idea.” I said grabbing my bag and heading out the front door.
When I walked back in, I went into Bev’s room and grabbed a blanket. It was black which would be perfect then I grabbed some gloves I had to cover Brendon’s hands. I walked back downstairs and threw the blanket at him.

“What’s this?” He asked.

“It’s the answer to your problem. We have about 30 more minutes until you can officially be out in the dark so I figured you can throw this over your head covering your face and use my gloves here to cover your hands so that you aren’t exposed to the sun.” I said.

“Wait. I’m not wearing these. They are girl gloves.” Brendon said.

“Do you want to turn into dust and make Erelin cry?” I said getting mad at Brendon.

“No.” He said.

“Then wear them.” I said demanding.

“So how am I going to walk out there if I can’t see?” Brendon asked.

“Well just look down at the ground towards my feet. I will lead you to the car. Just be careful to not let that blanket expose you and climb in the backseat.” I said. “Oh, and hunch down.” I added.

“Got it. Let’s go before we are late.” Brendon said.

“Oh, her high school gym is big enough for graduation isn’t it?” I asked Brendon.

“You are asking me this?” He asked.

“Well you have taken her to her plays and such in the last few months she has had school.” I said.

“Oh, ha-ha yeah, I forgot. It is huge. Why do you ask?” Brendon said putting on my gloves.

“Well I just have never been to a high school graduation at a high school before. Mine and the other high schools in our city had them at the big arenas. It made us feel like we were celebrities or something.” I said laughing.

“Really? Well, this is L.A. so everything is bigger here.” Brendon said covering himself up with the blanket.

We left for my car and I hurried Brendon to it. He made it ok but kept mumbling something about his hair messing up and how long it took him to fix it. I just laughed and told him he can’t use a mirror so how did he know it looked good.

We arrived at Erelin’s soon to be old school and saw her standing in the line to graduate. We had fifteen minutes before the ceremony started and Brendon was right their gym was huge. Brendon had taken off the blanket when we arrived and tried to fix his hair. It made me laugh. It was still light out but dark as well. The sun had almost set and the skies were all a light purple from darkness setting in. He was safe from any direct sunlight.

We walked over to where Erelin was standing, talking to some guy behind her. I could sense Brendon was getting a little bit jealous. He decided he’d surprise her and pick her up in her cap and gown.

“Brendon!” She said all surprised.

“You look so beautiful, babe.” Brendon said smiling but eyeing down the guy behind her. All I could do was laugh.

“Hi, Erelin. We made it finally.” I said giving her a hug.

“Hey hands off my daughter. This is a public place.” I turned to see Erelin’s dad say walking over to her. He was referring to Brendon because after our hug Brendon grabbed her and kissed her making sure that the guy behind Erelin knew who she was dating.

“Oh, Dad, shouldn’t you be inside? It’s about to start.” Erelin said.

“Yes I had to get my camera. You behave now Brendon around my daughter.” Her dad said.
Erelin and I both chuckled at Brendon because he had this cute but funny look on his face.

“I thought your dad liked me?” He said all dejected.

“Oh, he does.” Erelin said laughing.

“Well, we better go find a seat. Congrats!” I said. “C’mon.” I added grabbing Brendon’s arm and trying to pull him along.

“Wait! Erelin how is my hair?” He asked turning around back towards Erelin.

“Ha-ha it looks fine why?” Erelin asked.

“He’s been driving me insane since we left the apartment.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Hey you made me wear that blanket.” He responded.

“You want to burn up?” I smarted back forcing Brendon to start walking in the gym.
I
turned around to wave bye to Erelin to see her laughing at Brendon and me and rolling her eyes. Well at least someone found Brendon not to be the kid brother you love to hate sometimes. I pushed him into the gym and we found excellent seats.

“Now if I could only stand sitting by him making faces the whole entire ceremony.” I said under my breath laughing.