Bite Me

Vampires And The Sun Don't Mix

“Hi, guys. I hope I wasn’t interrupting anything.” Jon said walking over to us.

“Well…” Pete said as I put my left hand to his mouth.

“Hi, Jon.” I said sticking my right hand out to shake his.

“Wow, you are prettier in person. Brendon told me you were pretty, but.” Jon didn’t finish due to the stare Pete was giving him.

“Well it is nice to meet you too.” I said laughing. “And thank you.” I said blushing.”

“So how do you want to do this? My car is out front there.” Jon said pointing towards the door.

“Well, Pete, are you ready?” I asked.

“Yes, but if I can’t see from the blanket, how can I get to the car?” Pete asked me.

“I will be behind you and Jon will walk in front. If you can’t see his feet walk in front of yours its ok because I will have my hand on your back guiding you and telling you where to go.” I said.

“Here goes.” He said putting a blanket over his head and tucking his hands under it but holding onto it so it wouldn’t fall off him.

We walked outside in the sunshine. I wondered what Pete was thinking for this was the closest thing he had to being in the daylight by seeing the ground below him. I know he had to miss the sunshine.

Everything went fine until we got to Jon’s car. People were staring at us like we were weird but that was the least of our problems. As Pete stepped in the car, his right hand slipped through the blanket and the sun hit it. I threw Pete in the car making sure he was covered and my heart almost stopped from the damage that was done. He cussed and hollered in pain that I have never heard before but only for a minute. Then he was quiet.

Jon drove as fast as he could to get to his condo. Thank goodness he had dark tinted windows. I took the blanket off Pete who didn’t look very good and he lost a good bit of blood and skin from his hand. It was worse than a third degree burn and all it takes is for any sun to hit a vampire and they turn to toast. Pete was lucky he wasn’t exposed a second longer.

I started to rip the other blanket Jon had into shreds to cover and make a temporary bandage for Pete’s large, open wound. Had I not taken some med classes to be a nurse at one time in college, I would probably be sick right now. It was almost to the point of seeing his bones.

“How is he doing?” Jon yelled from the driver’s seat.

“Not good. He’s very pale and not coherent. His hand looks awful, Jon. He’s going to need some blood to heal pronto.” I yelled back.

We arrived at Jon’s place and I covered Pete back up with the blanket. Jon ran to unlock the door then came back to help me get Pete out of the car. It was like he had gone into a trance like state.

Jon and I got Pete safely inside and sat him down on the couch. Jon ran to get some bandages and ointments to try and put on the burn. It scared me what had happened to Pete although his incident is different; it reminded me how I helped Brendon. When he came back with the supplies I didn’t mean to but I barked orders at him.

“Jon, I need you to go now and get some type of blood for Pete from a butcher or something.” I snapped.

“I’m not leaving him with you alone. Brendon told me he has already bitten you and he may try to do it again in this state.” Jon replied not leaving.

“I know what I am doing. I helped Brendon last week when he got hurt.” I said all calm.

“What’s he doing now?” Jon said watching Pete.

“He’s shaking because he’s lost blood. His body is going through withdrawals. Now I can handle Pete. Please go or there will be no Pete.” I said with tears starting to form from seeing Pete this way.

“Fine. I’m gone. I will try to be as quick as possible he said leaving.

I sat on the couch beside Pete. I fixed up his hand the best I could but unless he got some blood he was not going to heal.

“Pete, look at me.” I said.

His eyes became different and he was letting his fangs show. Pete was still having the shakes. He did look at me though.

“Can you hear me?” I asked to see if he was with me.

“I could bite you know and fix everything.” He said using that tone to let me know the vampire is coming out.

“You can’t try to control me Pete. I’m stronger now and can fight you. You don’t want to hurt me. This isn’t you talking; it is the vampire inside trying to get out. Don’t let it win Pete.” I said grabbing his good hand.

Pete just kept staring at my neck for a minute or two. We sat in silence. Then I saw his eyes soften back up a bit and he put his fangs away.

“Help me.” Pete said.

“Come here.” I said pulling him to me and letting him curl up on the couch, facing the couch so he wasn’t lying on his right arm. He put his head on my lap and I covered him up with the blanket because he was still shivering and shaking.

“Just rest now, Pete. Jon will hopefully be back soon.” I said rubbing my hands through his hair. He closed his eyes and fell asleep with his right hand resting by my side.

“Everything is going to be alright.” I said.