This Isn't a Fairytale, It's My Life!

The Snag

The next morning he drove us to school and he was silent as if something was bothering him. His eyes stayed on the road, he never turned to look at me once or spoke to me. Even once we got to school, he kind of ignored me not as he did before but he wasn’t really speaking to anyone. He was bothered by something and it worried me so much.

After school was over I tried to find Nick, and he was already leaning on his car and he had a scowl planted on his amazing face. I was curious but decided not to ask as I climbed in his car. He helped me in as he did before, but no emotion crossed his face. He sat in the driver’s seat with his hand covering his mouth and he was staring out the window the entire time we rode home. I was incredibly hurt by the silence but I acted as if it didn’t bother me.

He said nothing to me as he walked into his room closing the door, I watched him as I closed mine. I changed into some pajama pants and started to watch television. I heard him strum on his guitar and he was playing something that seemed kind of sad, though beautiful.

There was a knock at my door. “Belle.” Nick shouted from outside the door.

I opened my door to see Nick standing there in a tank top and shorts. “Nick?” I tried not to show him I was sad.

“Can I talk to you?” he asked sullenly.

“Sure.” I smiled lightly.

“Close the door, I don’t really want anyone to hear what we are talking about.” He frowned pursing his lips together.

“Okay.” I replied stunned, he was usually pretty happy.

I turned off my television as he sat on my floor with his elbows resting on his knees. He pushed his hand through his hair and took a deep breath. I was curious what had been bugging him and it was eating at him. I was also worried, I had never seen him like this.

“What did you wanna talk about?” I asked impatiently.

“You know the other day when you asked me if something was bothering me?” he started.

He shifted and sighed placing his head in his hands then, ran his fingers through his hair letting out a growl.

“Yeah.” I nodded awkwardly.

I sat back somewhat confused but tried to not let the tension rise any higher, anger and confusion was steaming off of him.

“Well, last night after we got back home my ex called me.” He huffed. “She’s been trying to call.”

“What happened?” I sat down on the floor in front of him. He looked as if he was really upset by whatever it was.

“She told me she’s three months pregnant.” He lowered his head. “We only broke up a month before I came here.”

I’m sure my face didn’t help much, but I was shocked, as I’m sure he was when he heard the news himself. I touched his arm in comfort, to let him know I was there for him.

“Maybe it’s not yours.” I shook my head. “Or maybe she’s making the whole thing up to get you back.”

“That’s the problem.” He covered his mouth again. “I love her still, but now I’m falling for someone else.”

“Nick you’ve only been here a month.” I smiled. “Who could you possibly fall for that fast?”

“Again. The problem.” He shook his head again covering his face.

I reached out for his hand on his face. “Please tell me you aren’t falling for me?” I looked at him with teary eyes. As much as I felt for him, was what I feeling love?

“I’m not going to lie.” He answered. He scowled in sadness but he kept his mouth shut. He didn’t get the answer he was looking for.

I wanted to tell him I had the most amazing night of my life and I wanted to be with him but I know my heart wasn’t ready for anything serious. I had already invested too many feelings for Nick and I wanted to know why. He continued searching my face, but I didn’t know what to say.

He looked at me with a frown and it looked as I if I just took his heart and stomped on it. I hated doing that to him, because I did like him, but was I falling in love with him? He stood up glaring at me with sadness in his eyes. What I hadn’t realized until he slammed his door, was that I had just broken my own.