Voices

Chapter Four

My dad and I sat there for what felt like forever. I wanted it to be forever, though; there was just so much I had to tell him. Things that had happened in my life, fantasies I'd had as a child about my father, things like that. We did share quite a few things though. I told him about some things that had happened when I was smaller, like when I broke my arm and got my first hamster. He told me about his wedding date, but quickly changed the subject to how much he had loved my mother.

"If you loved her so much, why did you let her kick you out? Why didn't you fight for her?"I asked him, wondering if I had gotten too deep.
"I don't know actually." He started, and put a hand on the back of his neck. "Back then, all I really wanted was to drink and have fun with my friends, and she wanted us to be together more, and to get closer. I just felt... Smothered. Now I realize, she probably wanted us close because of you."
"I honestly wonder why she didn't tell you in the first place. You guys had been together for a while, hadn't you?"I asked
"A couple years. But things had been going downhill for a few months before that. They just never straightened out."He explained
"Well, on the brighter side. You and Valary are adorable together. She seems very nice."
"She is. I love her."
"Well that's good, seeing as you're married to her."I giggled at my smart mouth and he scowled at me playfully.
"C'mon kid, let's go back downstairs. Your mom probably has dinner ready, and I'm starving. Plane peanuts suck."I laughed once more and followed him down the steps and into the kitchen, where everyone was already seated around the table, and a couple were at the bar.

I grabbed a plate and put a couple pieces of my mum's famous homemade pizza on it, then sat beside Johnny at the bar. He smiled at me with his mouth full of pizza, and I winced. He chuckled and slapped Dad's hand when he sat down beside me. Valary pulled a chair up to the end of the bar and sat, quietly conversing with my father. I looked at my mum, then my dad, then Valary and realized something.

It was like my dad and mum weren't meant to be together. Valary and Matt looked like the ideal couple, but when I saw my mum stand with him, it didn't look right. I sighed and took a bite out of my pizza as my mum came over and patted my head.

"Is it any good?"She asked, I nodded
"Very good!"
"Yeah, everything's really good Darcy."Dad said, looking up at her from the chair
"Thanks Matt."She mumbled, then went back to her place at the kitchen table.

Dinner was soon over and once I helped mum with the dishes, I sat in the living room floor, chatting with every one in the house. Gena had made it in during dinner, and she was now positioned on Zacky's lap in one of the chairs.

"So, when are we heading back to Cali?"Jimmy asked, sipping at a beer
"Well, Valary and I have to head back day after tomorrow, and I know that's not enough time for you guys to pack and move. So as soon as you guys can."I looked up at my dad, and he smiled at me "But, I was wondering if we could take Kaitlin back with us."

My head shot up and I looked at my mom. Her eyes were wide, and I could tell she was growing upset, because she knew I wanted to go.
"I... I guess. I don't see why not."I jumped up and hugged my mother tightly
"Oh thank you mum! Thank you so much!"I exclaimed, she hugged me back and let out a small chuckle.
"No problem, but we may have to start packing tonight. You have quite a bit of stuff."I nodded, then went to my dad and gave him a hug
"Thank you Dad!"He chuckled
"No time Kait. It's kind of late though. I think we should be heading back to the hotel."He said, standing up and hugging me tightly "We'll be back tomorrow." And he kissed my head.

I told Valary goodbye and hugged her, then let everyone else share a hug with them before they exited the house. I collapsed on the couch, with a huge smile on my face.

California, here I come!