Voices

Chapter Seven

The next few days weren't too bad. Unpacked, met up with my mom and the rest of the band when they got here, spent a lot of time with Dad and Val... They were fun days. The day before everyone met us in Cali, Dad took me shopping. He said we needed some bonding time since we had just met. I was excited to go shopping with my dad, but I didn't know what things he'd reject to. As I found out, not much. I even mentioned wanting a tattoo and he said he'd take me. I had to say no though because Mum would have a fit. A big fit. He just laughed.

"You know, your mom and I have been split up for a while. If I got you the tattoo, it's not like it would cause this big uproar. And plus, I'm sure you don't want that big of a tat, right?"He asked as we walked through the mall.
"I really want a sleeve, but as a starter I want a deathbat on my front hip."I explained
"See? I could get you that! You mom won't even see it. We can just show it off to the guys."
"Yeah, and Jimmy will tell Mum. You know he will!"I laughed a bit at the thought.
"Nah, we'll make sure he doesn't."We walked into a store and he picked up a pink shirt.

"You know, I always wanted a little girl to dress up and play with. Always wanted to be a daddy. You're a little too old to be put in a tiny pink dress and booties now though."Dad chuckled
"Yeah, just a bit. Why don't you and Val try to have a kid? They say only real men make baby girls. And I'm partial proof to that, Dad."I mentioned
"She wants to wait until we're married. Which... Neither of us really know when that'll be. But, I do have a little girl now. And I'm more than happy about it."He came around the rack and put an arm around my shoulders, pulling me to him.
"And I'm glad I have you as a daddy."I replied, smiling. He kissed my head then looked around.

"You done here?"He asked
"Yeah. Definitely."
"Well then, let's go get that tattoo."He said, walking out of the store. I caught up with him and picked my jaw up off the floor.
"Are you serious?! You're gonna get me the deathbat?"I asked anxiously.
"Sure! I don't see any harm in it. I'm not exactly the best role model for 'no tattoos'."He held out his arms and laughed. "I'll take you to the dude who does mine."

We loaded up in the car and drove around town for a bit. Dad pointed out a few places of interest on the way, then we pulled into a small shop's parking lot. I got out of the car and looked around a bit.

"This guy has done nearly all of my tats. He's really good. Really clean."Dad said, taking me inside. A guy was sitting on a chair, checking someone out, then looked up.

"Matt! Hey man!" The guy said, getting up once the client had left. Dad gave him a 'man hug' and pointed to me.
"This, is my daughter, Kaitlin. And I'm letting her get her first tattoo. I'm having you do it, Derek."Dad said.
"Whoa! You have a kid? I never knew that. It's going to be an honor giving her her first tattoo."Derek said, shaking my hand. "When did you find out about this kid?"
"Last week. She called me when she found out I was her father. Everyone is moving back here for another album."Dad explained as Derek lead me to a chair.
"Wow, only a father for a week and she's all ready getting a tattoo."He chuckled "What're you getting Kate?"
"I uhm.. I want a deathbat, right here." I pointed to the spot I wanted it and he nodded.
"Psh, that's simple. Let me draw it out and we'll get started."

My heart then started racing. I finally realized I was getting a tattoo. Someone was sticking an inky needle in my body.
WHOA.

Dad noticed my nerves pick up and took my hand.

"It'll be fine sweetie. It doesn't really hurt. And something that small, it won't take any time at all. The only thing that will take long is the really small parts of it. I have one, bigger than yours."Derek then came back in the room with a design and cleaned my hip.

"You ready?"He asked after he traced it. I gulped and nodded as he put the needle on my skin and began to draw.

Dad was right, it didn't hurt as bad as I imagined. It really didn't seem like it took that long. Before I knew it we were in the car and on our way home.

"See, I told you it wouldn't hurt that bad!"He said as we pulled in the driveway.
"I know, it was just mainly nerves."I got out of the car and grabbed my bags, then went up to the house.
"Did you like shopping with your old man?"He asked, patting my head.

"More than you know daddy, thank you."