Voices

Chapter Eight.

Time just seemed to fly from then on. I finally got the supplies to do my room my way, though it didn't matter much because of all my posters. My new room honestly didn't look too different from my room back in Liverpool... Which wasn't my home anymore. It sounded weird, saying that I was home in California. I hadn't been able to get used to it, especially when I was talking to Josh. We missed each other terribly, and it didn't help that his entire family was trying to get him to move on.

I didn't want to lose him. Besides my family, he was the most important person to me. The ring on my finger was a daily reminder that we would wait on each other, no matter the costs. As time went on, we just became stronger, and no one questioned that fact. Not even Dad. We'd had a few conversations about Josh. How long we'd been together, what he did for a living, what he plans to do with his life. Typical Dad questions, even though he wasn't a typical Dad.

Anyways. Mum and Jimmy finally found a house on the same block as Dad and Val. Johnny and Brian stayed with us at Dad's, and Zacky, Gena and Haylie stayed with mom. I floated between both houses during the week, it just depended on where I crashed. I didn't officially have a room at Mum's, so I usually just crashed on the couch or on Haylie's bed. She did the same if she crashed at Dad's. Not a lot of time was spent at the houses though. The boys finally got back in the studio, and Avenged Sevenfold was back and better than ever. I was able to sit through nearly all of their practices and recording sessions, and Dad even let me sing some parts with him. Granted, they weren't recorded, but it was still fun to get to goof off with him.

Today was the last day of the recording process. There was one more song they had to record in full, and they claimed they weren't leaving the studio until it was completely done. So far, their plan was going well. It was about three in the afternoon, and Dad just had to lay down his vocals. It was a bit of a slow song, but had a rough edge to it from time to time, which was my favorite kind of song. I sat on the couch, reading, as Dad went into the recording booth and set up. I'd look up every now and again to watch Dad sing, which was a wonderful sight to see. He had a passion for music, for singing, and it showed. I watched him for a bit, then stuck my nose back in my book, until I just heard him stop abruptly.

"It doesn't sound right, man. Something isn't right with these vocals." Dad complained, running his hands through what little hair he had on his head. He looked up at me and nodded. "I want her on the track."

My eyes widened, and my jaw dropped. I looked around and saw all the guys smiling. Haylie just about fell out of her chair.

"Get in there girl!" She shouted, pointing towards the booth. I gulped and shook my head, because I hadn't truly sang for a song, or for any of the guys for that matter. I had sang a bit in the studio, but it was just Dad and I.

"Please Kate? You're just what this song needs." Dad asked, motioning for me to come through the studio. I got up slowly and walked in, forgetting that my book was in my hand. He handed me an extra headset, putting it over my ears for me. He took my book and moved the stand near me, so I could see the words. We practiced some new notes and variations for about half an hour, then the real recording started. Oddly enough, once I'd started singing, I was fine. We had to stop and redo parts over several times, but when we finally got to sing the entire thing through, I really got into it. The song was finally finished, and I was able to slip the headphones off. Dad just stared at me, and I looked out the window to see the guys mimicking him.

"What's wrong?" I asked them. They all chuckled.
"That wasn't incredible or anything." Dad said, pulling me to him. I laughed.
"I don't think it was incredible. Maybe cool."

I looked up and saw Mum standing by the couch, where I had just been sitting. I wasn't sure when she had come in, but she had this odd smile on her face, which I hadn't seen since the day I'd called Dad. She almost looked... Proud. Jimmy went to join her, and kissed her head. I walked out of the studio and approached her.

"That was beautiful baby." She said to me, wrapping me up in a huge hug.
"Thanks Mum."

The album only needed mixing after that, then they had a tour to plan. I so wished I could go on tour with my dad, but I doubted I could.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been way too long since I updated this story, sorry guys! I'll try to update everything more often.
Love you!