Drifts

Chapter 1

I never understood why, but gray clouds always made me feel better.

It was May 14th; a Sunday, nonetheless. My husband and I took our four year-old daughter, Kara, to the carnival. Kara held my hand and dragged me to whatever she thought was interesting at that moment. This moment, was a set of four balloons.

The balloons were interestingly colored; one was a deep green color, the second was a simple lavender, the third was a pale blue, and the final balloon was a sort of dark magenta color. Each of them were attached to a white ribbon. Kara wouldn’t stop smiling.

“Momma, can we get them?” she asked, putting on the pouting face that only she could perfect. You know, the kind that you can’t say no to? Yeah, that one. I nodded and got a few dollars out of my pocket. The sign beside the balloons read,

Balloons: $1.00 each!

There was a small jar on the table, beside the rock holding the balloons down. I stuck four dollars into the jar and took all four of the balloons. Kara never liked things by themselves. She always had to have two of everything. I knelt in front of her and asked,

“Which one would you like, hon?” She poked the lavender and magenta balloons. I gave the other two to my husband and tied the lavender and magenta balloons’ strings around her tiny left wrist.

I got back up and took the green balloon from my husband. He laughed at this.

“Why do you get to pick?” he smiled. I shook my head, laughing. He leaned in and pressed his lips gently against mine. He pulled away and said quietly,

“Don’t worry, babe. I’m just playing.” Kara didn’t like what she had just witnessed, though.

“Ewwww!” she cackled. I laughed and picked her up.

“What do you say we go get something to eat?” I asked her. She nodded quickly and I took my husband’s free hand. We gently pushed each other back and forth until we got to the small hot dog stand.

After eating, I threw our garbage away in the trash can. I turned around and saw my daughter whining and pointing at the gray, gloomy sky. I looked up and saw the magenta balloon gently floating away.

“Here. Have mine,” my husband said, trying to calm her down. He tied a loop in the string and gently slipped it around her wrist. She wiped her eyes with her sleeve and held her arms out to me. I walked over to the table and picked her up.

“Do you want to go home?” I asked her, frowning. She gently nodded and wiped her eyes again. I kissed her forehead and muttered,

“Alright. Let’s go home.” I took another look at the sky. The clouds were gray and large. I smiled at the sky and a raindrop fell onto my right cheek. I wiped it off and put a sleeping Kara into the dry, warm car.

I never understood why, but gray clouds always made me feel better.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the only part of the story. Please take a few moments to comment and tell me what you think.

This is the only part of the story! Do not subscribe!