Playing With The Big Boys Now

Chapter Nine

Dancing was my release - concentrating on the steps and the movement and the music and putting it all together blacked out all other thoughts for a while. The world seemed so much simpler when I danced.

Unfortunately for me, that release was still roughly seven hours away, and i was pretty positive that by the end of the day I'd have enough awkward moments to last me two practices.

First, there was the incident in the car that morning, followed by my own derailed train of thought. That one, infinitesimal moment was all I could think about, consequently causing a run-in with a locker door or two.

I squirmed and fidgeted in my seat until the bell rang, signalling the next period, where the spaz attack resumed in full force as soon as I sat down.

"You ok? You seem kind of...on edge," Mikey asked during our science class (Frank had convienently gotten a headache and got sent to the clinic). Damn Mikey and his observant self.

"No, I'm fine," I lied, "Just kinda anxious to get to the dance studio. Lots of energy to burn." That part wasn't a lie.

"You must really love to dance," he said, peering at me through his glasses like a skinny owl in an Anthrax tee shirt.

"Yeah, I do," I replied, meeting his gaze squarely until something -recognition?- flickered in his eyes. He knew something. How could he know something when I didn't even know anything?

Thankfully, lunch wasn't that bad, but I got another one of those looks from Mikey when i laughed at something Bob had whispered in my ear.

Eventually the bell rang, signalling the end of the school day and the start of my very temporary freedom from reality.

The dance studio was one building away from the school, so I could now walk there instead of driving. I went through the warm-up stretches as the other dancers filed in behind me.

Once the music began, I was already gone. Absorbed in my movements, I lost everything to that sweet relief from life that it gave me, if only for a little while.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Once again, no excuse, and I'm so so so so so sorry for making you wait this long and then giving you this shitty midget chapter. However, comments do still make me happy, and are much appreciated. Blame the freshman that was distracting me in my study hall >.> Deds to Apurva, without whom this chapter would not exist for I would not have had a pencil.