Until You're Mine

17. Wanting Something Out of Reach it's Killing Me

After the show, Molly had managed to avoid Garrett and the rest of the gang like the plague. A whole week of school went by. She didn't join Garrett at lunch or meet him after class; though he tried. All the others had tried as well, but had no such luck either. She was beginning to break Garrett's heart. After a week and a half, Garrett decided enough was enough. He was taking a stand!

Garrett was nervous as he walked up the steps to Molly's house. He wiped the sweat off his hands onto his pants and rang the doorbell. A muffled "Coming!" was heard from inside and some shuffling. The door flew open and Molly's mom smiled warmly at Garrett. "Hi Garrett. It's so good to see you." She said.

"Hey Mrs. Burns. Is Molly home?" Garrett asked politely, hoping he didn't sound to anxious or nervous.

"She's in her room." She said sadly. "Maybe you could try to get her to come out."

"I'll certainly try." Garrett said, walking past her and up the stairs. He could hear the Paramore reverberating off the walls. He followed the noise to her room. He rapped his knuckles on the door, but there was no answer. "Molly?" He called out as he knocked again. The music was too loud. He gently turned the knob and opened the door.

Molly stood by her computer desk with her back to him. A hairbrush in her hands as she sang along with Hayley Williams and danced along with every drum beat. Garrett's lips began to form a smile. He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the door just watching her. She was completely oblivious to him. She did a twirl and stopped dead in her tracks once she saw Garrett.

Garrett smiled at her. "Please, don't let me stop you." He held out his hands in defense. He was loving the show.

She stared at him, completely embarrassed. Her face was ten times redder than the shade of her nail polish. "Hi..." She squeaked out.

"Hey." He walked over to her and stood in front of her. A serious look now replaced his amused expression. "What's been up with you lately?"

She walked over to her macbook and sat down in front of him. "What are you talking about?"

"Molly," he said softly, getting up and walking over to her. "you know exactly what I'm talking about."

"I've just been busy." she said nonchalantly.

"You're a bad liar." Garrett said, beginning to get frustrated with her. She was avoiding the real answer. She hasn't been busy at all and she knew it.

"What do you want me to say Garrett?" She said, now typing furiously on her macbook.

"I want you to say the truth." He said, raising his voice somewhat.

"Fine." She closed the macbook, but didn't look at him. "I can't do this anymore."

"Do what?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"Us. I just...I can't. I don't fit in with your life." She said, standing up now and walking to her bed. Anything just to avoid him.

"Molly, what are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about you have friends and you go out and have a life. That's not me...at all." They both sighed. She was near tears. This was hard for her to say just as hard as it was for him to hear. She didn't want him out of her life. But in her opinion, it was just better for her to sever all ties before she got in too deep.

"Mols."

"This is me. I stay at home. I don't go out. I don't have friends. I stay home on the weekends and watch old Saturday Night Live reruns. We just don't fit together."

"Why are you doing this?!" Garrett was so beyond hurt by what she said. "Everybody loves you."

"No. It's just pity!" She screamed at him. "I don't need your sympathy."

"You're not getting any kind of pity! We're all being fucking genuine!" He yelled back, getting in her face. He was pissed now. How could she think that? He took a few deep breaths and sat on the bed. He pulled her down beside him. "Molly, do you even realize what you do to me? How you make me feel?"

She avoided his gaze. Now she felt horrible. This was not going as planned. She wanted to rip her hair out and scream and cry.

"I'm seriously starting to fall for you."

"Y-y-you are?" She stuttered out.

"Yes. And it scares me just as much as it scares you." He was scared shitless.

"Oh." That threw her for a loop. She didn't know how to respond to that. She just wanted to crawl back into her shell.

"I'll just give you your space until you're ready to talk." He sighed, looking at her. She still avoided his gaze. He kissed her cheek and left even more heartbroken than he had been before.
♠ ♠ ♠
I won't lie.
That was shit.

comment/subscribe anyway.