Status: Completed

Dakota, Are You in Love With Me Too?

Jake, Lunch, And Cars

“You did what to my brother’s car?” Jake questioned me with raised eyebrows.

“I sold it.” I answered back bluntly before taking a bite of my salad.

“Without his knowledge?”

“Yeah.”

The younger O’Callaghan stared back at me with a somewhat shocked look upon his face.

“What?” I mumbled with a frown, “I sold it, big deal … I’m replacing it with something better. He’s been complaining about my new car ever since I’ve gotten it. Not in a jealous manner but he just didn’t see the point of getting a new car when my old one was fine.”

“For being a girl, you’ve got some huge balls.” He shook his head slowly before grabbing his iced tea and taking a sip, “Seriously, that was Johno’s first car … ever and you just sold it like that?”

I frowned but said nothing.

“You don’t come between a man and his car.” He informed me.

I rolled my eyes, “Whatever, he’ll like what I’m going to get him that’s why I stayed a few extra days here. I was bored at the bowling alley and decided to use my Dad’s computer to look at potential cars I’d like to buy John, and I found a couple here … that’s why I wanted you to come with me today.”

“Why are you here to begin with?”

“The baby,” I answered.

“Oh, your new little sister.” He smiled happily.

“No, she isn't my Dad’s kid.” I mumbled then changed the subject quickly, “Anyway, after lunch I’m we’re going to a couple of seller’s houses.”

“Where were you looking for cars, Craigslist?”

I nodded a little, “And local ads.” I answered, “The car I’m looking to buy a dealership wouldn’t have and if it did it wouldn’t be what I want, y’know?”

Jake shook his head once more then looked around the small deli we were currently sitting in. With silence between us, I stared at my soon-to-be brother-in-law trying to read him like I can read John, but it wasn’t working as easily as I thought it would. Tilting my head to the side a bit, I looked down at the blank table in front of him, “Are you sure you’re not hungry?” I asked.

Jake turned his attention to me and nodded, “I had a big breakfast with Katie this morning, I went out with her family.” He smiled softly then it faded as he looked away from me once more.

“Are you ok?”

“Fine.”

“Jake … are you,” I bit my lip as I paused, “Using again?”

Jake turned his eyes to me and smiled, “Thank you for your concern Dakota, but I’m clean … I get drug tested once a week, unannounced.”

“Oh,” I nodded, “What’s on your mind then? You seem, out of it?”

He studied me skeptically but said nothing.

“Hey, I may be a fucking bitch most of the time, but … I can listen to people’s problems.”

“It isn't really a problem, so to say.”

“Ok, what’s wrong?”

Jake inhaled deeply then shrugged as he let out a loud breath, “I always swore I’d never be like Johno, you know? Putting all of my eggs in one basket with one girl,”

I frowned, “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means he fell in love young and devoted his entire being to one girl until that one girl died, then a year later he fell even harder for another girl and is doing the same thing, devoting his entire being … to you.”

“Yeah, it’s called love and when one is in love they typically don’t cheat.”

Jake nodded, “I know, and I always swore I’d never end up like that, fall in love young. I swore that I’d date whomever I wanted when I wanted, and that I’d have sex with anyone I wanted to have sex with.”

“This is about Katie, isn't it?” I smiled, “Did you cheat on her?”

“Hell no,” He answered, “But I bought a ring,” He admitted then reached up behind his neck, rubbing his hand to his neck roughly, “I know it’s the right thing to do, because I’m in love and she has been by my side through … everything.”

“It’s sex,” I smiled, “You just think you’re in love for sex.”

Jake blushed, “We haven’t had sex.” He mumbled.

I dropped my jaw, “Seriously?”

“Yeah, seriously … I mean, I’ve seen her naked and we’ve done other things but we haven’t actually had sex, she wants to wait until she’s married and I respect that.” He blushed cutely then shrugged, “I know that I want to marry her.”

“Then ask her.” I insisted.

“I don’t know if she wants to marry me.”

“She does,” I said simply, “If she didn’t love you enough to be with you for the rest of her life, she would’ve left you the second she found out you had been doing drugs … especially with her morals.” I smiled, “It’s just something about you O’Callaghan boys that make girls go crazy over you.” I teased.

He shook his head, “Right,”

“It’s true, but you wouldn’t understand, you’re a boy.” I smirked then nodded a little, “Ask her, make it romantic … she seems like the kinda of girl that would like romance, but don’t do it in front of a crowd, she seems too private for something like that.”

“How did Johno ask you?”

“He sorta demanded.” I laughed a little, “But after he demanded, he asked properly … we were in bed.”

“Ew,”

“We weren’t having sex!” I exclaimed, “We were just talkin’.” I assured him.

“Whatever, I’ll pretend like I believe you.”

I shook my head then pushed my plate away, “I think I’m done,” I grabbed my lemonade taking the last few drinks of it then stared over at Jake, “Ready?”

“I’ve been ready, you eat like a fucking slug; you’re so slow.”

“Shut up,” I ordered as I stood up as I dropped a twenty down onto the table for everything before walking away, not waiting for Jake.

Once in the parking lot, I stood at the passenger side of Jake’s car, waiting for him to unlock the doors. Unlocking my side first, he frowned then shook his head once again before walking to the driver’s side. As we both got in, I didn’t regret calling Jake to come with me to look at cars, but I can definitely tell that this will be a long day with a lot of little arguments, arguments that siblings would have. I guess it’s safe to say that we already feel like family and truth be told, I can’t wait ‘till we are, in fact, family.
♠ ♠ ♠
We're young and in love and you're my best best buddy