Status: Completed

Dakota, Are You in Love With Me Too?

A Beautiful Beginning

-Three Months Later-

Sitting on the couch of my in-laws house, I watched at my drunk Husband downed another shot of God knows what before letting out a loud laugh and spouting off a few curse words towards one of his dimwitted friends. Frowning deeply to myself, I looked down at my belly that looks like it’s about to pop at any second and sighed. My due date came and went a day ago, now I’m just sitting, waiting, hoping that the birth of my son will come within the next two days so John will be here.

He’s in Tempe for four days, two of those days have already passed. The first night it was all about me and our baby, last night it was all about me and our baby but tonight it’s about John, his hometown friends and lots of booze. Normally this wouldn’t bother me, but when I have to rely on someone other than my Husband to rush me to the Hospital if my water breaks because he’s too drunk, isn’t my ideal way of going into labor.

“Johno!” I heard John’s Mother snap harshly, “Why is everyone here, it’s almost one in the fucking morning!” She went on as she came into view from the stairway.

A drunk John, looked at her Mother with a grin, “Oh, c’mon it’s just a few friends.” He said of the seven or so ‘close’ friends standing around in the kitchen.

His Mother looked over at me then back at her Son, “Look at Dakota,” She mumbled to him.

John’s bloodshot eyes shifted over towards me for a moment before he just looked at his Mom, “One more beer,” He mumbled, “Then I’ll tell them to go.”

Shaking her head, she walked back up the stairs without another word said, clearly disappointed in her son’s choice. Carefully, I stood to my swollen feet then waddled my way towards the stairs. With a tight grip on the railing and one hand on my lower back, I silently and slowly started up the stairs wanting to lie down and escape the scent of alcohol.

About three steps up, I felt a gentle hand on my back while another one took my hand off of my back, lacing our fingers together. I knew by the gentle touch and the feel of the fingers that it was my Husband but I chose not to acknowledge him.

“I don’t think you should be going upstairs right now, Dakota Mae.” John mumbled, sounding surprisingly sober even though I know damn well that he isn’t, “If we need to leave in a hurry, I wouldn’t want you falling or anything.”

I frowned, “Where do you suppose I go?” I questioned, “There’s two people in the downstairs spare bedroom having sex, John.”

He chuckled a bit then stopped walking, making me stop as well. Turning my face towards him, I frowned deeply, “John, I’m tired.”

Reaching up, he caressed my face then leaned in, kissing me lovingly, “If I get them out of the room and change the bedding, will you sleep down here, please?”

I didn’t say anything; I just felt tears fall down my cheeks without any warning whatsoever. Wiping my tears away, John didn’t look confused or even upset about my tears, he simply wiped them away not saying a single word.

“C’mon, come sit on the couch for a little bit longer, I’ll tell everyone to leave then I’ll change the bedding so we can lie down. Dakota, I really don’t want you upstairs.”

I rolled my teary eyes then went back down the few steps that I managed to climb. Walking back to the couch, I sat with a loud sigh before lying my head back, hating the way I feel. Everything is swollen, everything is achy, and my emotions are all over the charts, so much that it isn’t even funny.

Not knowing how much time had passed by, I felt John’s lips on my forehead, “The room is ready, love.” He whispered, it was only then I noticed that I had dozed off for a few minutes.

Lifting my head, I looked at John before letting him help me to my feet. Once on me feet, we slowly walked towards the room when I suddenly stopped and gripped John’s hand tightly when I felt my water break, finally.

“It’s time.” I announced, now wide awake.

John looked at me with wide eyes, “What?”

“John, my water just broke.” I informed him.

He looked down then his eyes got wide as everything clicked in his head, “Fuck me,” he growled then nodded his head violently, “Ok, ok …we need to go to the hospital.” He mumbled to himself then he looked upstairs, “Mom! Dad! Jake! Anyone who can drive!?” He wailed, “It’s time!” He added, his voice a little louder.

From upstairs I heard a faint, “It’s time!” from his Mother followed by another one from Lilly. Then like a herd of elephants, everyone came running down stairs half dressed or in PJ’s.

“Who’s driving?” Lilly mumbled, being slightly intoxicated as well.

“Me.” John’s Father said calmly as he walked by us, “Johno, get her bag for her, I’ll help her to the car … Jake, help Mom and Lilly call everyone.” He looked over at his youngest, “Her family needs to know as well as ours, friends can wait, just family.”

I frowned at my Father in law, “Now,” I snapped.

He looked at me then nodded as he grabbed his keys then guided me to the garage where his car was parked. Helping me into the backseat, he was saying words of comforts for me but with all honesty, I didn’t want him, I wanted the guy who did this to me.

“I got her bag,” John announced as he climbed into the back seat from the other door while his Father shut the door that I came through. Taking my hand in his John, smiled nervously then it faded as sheer panic flooded his face, “How are you feeling?”

“Like my water broke,” I answered with a glare.

“Have you had any contractions?”

“I’ve been having them for the last three weeks!” I exclaimed, “They’re just a little worse now.” I mumbled before closing my eyes and breathing deeply, “I’m scared.” I whispered to John.

“Me too, Love.” He admitted, “But you’ll be fine.” He added with certainty.

As I felt my first ‘real’ contraction, I let out a low growl and clutched John’s hand while trying to remember to breathe. I hope John’s right, that everything will be fine.

*****************

With tired, sore eyes, I gazed down at my newborn son, still slightly intoxicated but watching his birth was a very sobering experience. Glancing over at Dakota who finally managed to fall asleep, I just smiled knowing she wasn’t expecting such a quick labor, none of us were. From the time that her water broke to our son’s first breath, it was only three hours.

Turning my attention back to the baby boy with the bright baby blues and long eyelashes as well as my name, I carefully reached into the hospital provided crib and scooped him up carefully, cradling him in my arms all while remembering to support his head at all times. Once he was nestled him my arms comfortably, I swayed in place slowly, loving how he looks so much like his Mother, from his eyes to his toes, he resembles her more than me.

“Are we too late?” I heard Matt question softly.

Glancing over my shoulder at my Father in law, I nodded my head as I turned around and showed him his first Grandchild that’s blood related, but not ready nor willing to give up my baby just yet. I haven’t even let my own parents hold him, I barely wanted the hospital staff to hold him but I knew it needed to be done.

“He’s beautiful,” Matt smiled proudly as Kathy walked in, “He’s a Jensen, look at him.”

“He’s an O’Callaghan,” I heard my Wife say sternly, “John Cornelius O’Callaghan the sixth.” She went on.

“Buddy,” I mumbled, seeing as how that’s the nickname we’ve decided to call him.

Matt looked over at Dakota and walked over to her. I watched him for a moment then I turned my back to them and looked at Kathy. She smiled at me, “He’s gorgeous, Johno.”

“He is,” I agreed as I looked down at the infant with platinum blond fuzz upon his head, “He’s perfect.” I added then I looked back at Kathy, “Want to hold him?” I asked, just being polite.

She smiled at me and shook her head, “Are you sure?”

“No,” I answered, “But I’m buzzed so I’m not thinking clearly.” I admitted before forcing a smile, “If you want to, you can hold him.” I assured her.

Taking a step forward, Kathy took the infant from me and smiled as she cradled him knowingly. Frowning to myself, I felt nervous about having her hold him, but knew it was just my new parent nervousness kicking in.

After a few minutes, Kathy carefully handed the baby back to me and grinned a little before walking over to her daughter. Looking down at my son, I was just in time to see him open his eyes slowly, showing off his bright baby blues that look identical to his Mothers. Once they were open though, he quickly closed them and whined in a very pathetic manner, wanting to be fed I’m assuming.

“What’s wrong?” Dakota snapped, quickly turning her attention to the baby.

“Nothing love, I think he’s just hungry.” I informed her.

“Give him here.” She ordered softly.

I did as she said, handing Buddy off to his Mother. Matt and Kathy stood up, whispered their see you laters to Dakota before leaving the room so she could nurse in peace. Once they were gone, it didn’t take her long to have him nursing. Once he was eating happily, Dakota looked up at me with tired eyes, “They want me to go home.” She said.

I said nothing to her as I sat down on the edge of the bed.

“I told them that I am home, well … sorta.” She blushed a little bit then looked down at Buddy, “He apologized.”

“Did you forgive?”

“Yes.” She answered me, “But I told him that I’m not going to California, California always lets me down.” She wrinkled her nose, “And to be honest, Arizona reminds me of you, when you’re gone and I’m in Arizona, I feel a bit better … it’s silly, I know but it’s true. Plus, I love our home, it’s perfect.”

“It better be damn perfect, I built a fucking swing set, and let you get a God damn Great Dane.”

“Scoobert is your dog.” She pointed out the obvious, “He loves you more than he loves me.”

I rolled my eyes, “Bentley is your dog.”

“But he loves you too.”

“Scoobert loves you too.” I smiled then I leaned over, kissing her cheek, “Love, do you really want to stay here?”

“Yes.” She answered, “I really do, I’m tired of moving, I’m tired of running, I’m just tired. I want to raise our baby and just love life, I can do that here.” She paused, “Plus, Flagstaff is a much better place to raise Buddy than LA or San Diego.”

I nodded, agreeing with her then I carefully laid myself down next to her, resting my head on her shoulder as I looked at Buddy, “We made a cute kid, I know a lot of parents say that, but we made one cute kid.”

“We did.” She agreed.

“This is it, Dakota Mae, we’re parents.”

“Scared?”

“Shitless.” I answered, “But we’ll be ok.” I assured as I slowly felt my eyes starting to shut, “We’ll be just fine, I promise.”

“Hey John?”

“Hmmm?”

“I love you, Cross my heart and hope to die. Believe me?”

“I believe you,” I mumbled softly, “I love you too, you know it?”

“I know it.” Dakota replied then I felt her lips on my forehead, “If you’re drunk when I have our next child, I’ll kill you.” She whispered sternly.

I smiled sleepily, “I believe you.”

“That’s a good thing.” She added, “Dream of me,” She ordered before kissing my forehead once more.

“Always do.” I muttered to her, “I always do.” I repeated myself in a quiet whispered just as everything seemed to go quiet and I fell into a light, somewhat alcohol induced sleep as a loving Husband and a very proud Father. I don’t think my life could get any better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hell or Glory, I don't want anything in between then came baby boy with long eyelashes and Daddy said 'you gotta show the world the thunder'

The End.
I don't feel the need to continue to drag it along.
But it was fun story and thank you all for reading.
There will definitely be another Johno story, don't worry.