‹ Prequel: Hollow Crown.

Save Me.

So it seems I'm not breathing

Tom's smile faltered when he opened his eyes. Of course he had been dreaming. Everything had been to perfect to be real. He lifted his head slowly off of Georgia's hospital bed, stroking her gently with his finger tips before stretching out his tired body.

"I was starting to fear I was gonna have to wake you up," Tom jumped a little when Lydia Carter entered the dull white room. Last time he had seen her was the previous week. She
had started looking a little better, less tired but the constant worry was still evident on her
aging face. Her children where carbon copy's of her.

"You were lying on her hand and i need to finish her nails," Tom remained silent as Lydia
explained, busying herself by rearranging thing's around the room. Anything that meant she
wasn't just standing about in the room with her broken daughter.

Tom looked down at Georgia's manicured finger tips. She had never been one to keep her
nails perfect. Being on the road so much it wasn't really worth the bother. She had tried to
teach Ali how to do it once but that had only ended in tragedy. So Tom couldn't quiet understand why Lydia thought her daughter would want them done now. Dan had tried to
explain on several different occasions that it was something she needed to do to feel like she had some control over the situation.

They all had their own little ways of trying to stay in control. Tim played guitar for her. Asked her opinion on new material he had come up with. Never receiving an answer, he'd just play her favorite songs.

Thomas always had new photo's. He'd spend hours describing them, explaining why he took them. Most were from the sea-life center. Georgia always loved how the jellyfish looked
through a camera lens, the light making them seem like aliens.

Sam spoke to her. Told her about past memories. Trying to see if remembering anything
would wake her up. Praying that if he got a story muddle with another she'd quickly correct
him. Sometimes he sang to her. But that only made him more upset.

Dan and Ali read to her. When they couldn't be bothered with intricate detail of novels, they
resorted to fashion or tattoo magazines. Sometimes they even drew little pictures that they
stuck up on the wall behind her. It was almost covered now.

Tom never did anything. Kissed her soft cheek gently, frightened to harm the broken doll
any further, and sat at quietly at her side, holding her hand and waiting patiently for her to
wake up.

Disillusioned and lonelier than the last man standing.

"She'll be missing your voice," Lydia looked over at Tom. He hadn't shaven or changed his
clothes for the last couple of days. hadn't left Georgia's side. "You need to go home and get
some rest sweetheart. Speak to her first though. She needs to know your okay" With one last forced smile Lydia left the room, her heart breaking at the look on Tom's face.

Tom looked down at Georgia's still face. Everythime he looked at her he expected her to jump up and yell 'surprise!'. Prayed that it was just her and Ali winding him up. She never did.

His eyes wandered to her flat stomach as a tear rolled down his cheek.

"I'm so sorry Georgia," barley a whispered breath and he let himself go. "I'm so sorry for
everything. For not being brave enough to tell you that I don't want to live without you. For
letting Oliver get away with everything. For letting Alexa talk you into stupid thing's all the time
and then not coming to visit. I'm sorry for leaving you alone with him, for letting you leave
because I was to angry to notice you disappearing. For not saving you or the baby. Just
please don't leave me. Please..."

Tom sat broken, clutching onto Georgia's hand as he wept. He couldn't begin to imagine life
without her. Didn't want to her. She had always been there. Always been a constant presence
in his life. When he was ill, she'd be the first one over to his house with home made soup,
ready to stoke his hair while he complained all day. Whenever he was letting achievement
get to his head she'd be the first to point out his faults keeping him grounded, humble almost.

Whenever he had failed at a relationship, she'd be the first with a tub of ice cream, always offering to beat the girl up. She was his best friend.
"I love you and I miss you"

*****

Oliver had begun to detest his flat. Everything in it made him feel physically sick. He hated the creaking wooden floor boards. He hated the buzzing noise the light bulb in his room made everythime it was switched on. Hated the damp smell that had set in over the last couple of weeks. Hated how quiet and lonely it had become.

Thomas turned up around seven o'clock. It was dark outside as winter had creeped in, the nights were longer. It was dark inside because Oliver had stopped caring. Thomas never muttered a word when he banged through the front door. Not even when he carelessly dropped himself onto the couch. Pleasantries were no longer heard of in that part of the building.

The streetlamps outside cats an eerie glow around the small room through the cracks in the blinds. You would have to strain your eyes to be able to see anything properly. Oliver didn't need to. He could feel Thomas stare at him. With broken thoughts and dagger eyes.

"Mum's worried 'bout yeh," there was no harshness left in Thomas' voice. He had stopped caring enough to put any effort in. Oliver couldn't even make out a slight tone of disgust. "She finks yeh might kill yerself"

Oliver never said anything. Thomas never expected him to. Didn't want him to. The only reason he was there was for the sake of their parents. They'd driven themselves insane with worry over their eldest. Just another reason for Thomas to resent him.

Just as Thomas was about to open his mouth again, Oliver's blond haired clone fell out of his bedroom door. Dressed to impress, she stumbled her way out of the flat, clawing at the wall to steady herself when she lost her balance, slamming the door behind her.

Thomas looked to his brother. To his role model. Growing up all Thomas ever wanted to be was like his brother. He envied Oliver's confidence, charm, talent. And now looking at Oliver, a hopeless broken man, Thomas felt nothing.

Without another thought, anger filled tears spilling from his eyes, Thomas left the flat. Left Oliver. Left his broken down hero barley breathing. Corroding away.

*****

Oliver sat crossed legged on his unmade bed, cigarette hanging loosely from his chapped lips, staring at Georgia. The dullness of the room made it hard to see her properly. That didn't matter. He knew exactly what she looked like. Knew every curve and contour of her body. He'd memorize every detail of her being countless times before. A vision of perfection.

"You look ill," Oliver mumbled. He Lent back words, his head resting against the cold wall, eyes on the rough patterned ceiling, no longer able to look at Georgia's bruised and broken body.

A heavy silence filled the room once again. The only noise was the hum of the occasional car passing by outside.

Oliver glanced back down at Georgia. She had moved from the doorway to the bottom of the bed, still standing in the same rigid pose;arms crossed tightly over her underwear clad body, eyes fixed only on him. Her body was pale, her tattoos fading underneath purple bruises. He wasn't sure how she had managed to move so quietly, the floor boards had always been creaky. It was as if she had been picked up and placed back down.

"I can't make it on my own, Gee" Oliver said quietly. His voice was hoarse. Rough as he no longer used it. "I've lost control of everything"

Georgia never reacted. Never moved. never even seemed to acknowledge him. She just stood there. Frozen in place.

Oliver sighed, stubbing out his cigarette on the drawer that sat faithfully at the top of the bed. The deep mahogany of the wood lost under a pile of ash and butts. Picking up a can half empty with beer, Oliver shook the contents trying to embodied some life back into it. Who knows how long it had been sat there? He rubbed his had across his face before gulping down some of the liquid, grimacing as the warm, stale taste hit his mouth.

"I don't feel as if I'm in any shape to comfort you," Georgia smiled sadly at Oliver. Her voice was void of any emotion.

"But it still feels the same," Oliver cried, his voice rising slightly. He dropped his can to the floor, a small clutter before the liquid started pouring out, and crawled his way towards his former life. "I still feel the same. The only difference is you're not there!"

Oliver grabbed onto Georgia's shoulders, his hands stinging softly at the coldness of her flesh, his eyes pleading with her to listen to him.

"I don't remember who we used to be" Georgia looked down slightly in confusion at Oliver's heart broken face.

Nothing was making any sense. Everything seemed to be spinning while the stood in one place.

"Sometimes," Georgia spoke softly, her voice losing the airiness that sounded like the wind rushing through a forest returning to the voice that Oliver remembered so well, her eyes drifting over the body in Oliver's bed. Oliver flowed her gaze, his stomach turning at the sight. He wasn't sure how he had gotten himself into this mess. Had no clue how to save himself.

"Sometimes you have to let go"
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry this has taken forever!
hope its been worth the wait.
x